Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TR Oly build is really hard! [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
pkeys00 wrote:
Which volume are you doing? I have done 12 weeks of the high volume oly tri base and have increased my FTP by 36 during that time. I am on day 2 of the high volume oly build now. I am a duathlete so I skip all of the swims. Yesterday I was toying with the mid volume vs the high volume for build so I am curious to hear other peoples thoughts.

Mid volume Oly base then build is what I'm doing/did.

The intensity of the bike workouts is what's really hard for me. I'm hoping I'll get more used to it with the coming weeks, but it's no joke. I'm gonna stick with it as long as I can, but as the plan continues to up the intensity and TSS, I may have to dial it back in later weeks if I can't keep up.

My run training is significant and is likely adding to the beatdown, but I'm def not pushing my limits on the run, have plenty of room to go up there in training.

I did the high volume base and only gained 4w, same as you and now doing mid volume build. The mid volume workouts tend to be a lot harder than the longer volume plans, the vo2 stuff can be impossible if you’re not feeling great on the day.

Even when i was cycling only and doing 10hrs a week on trainer road i struggled with the vo2 workouts, i think you’re meant to fail. I find the 2min intervals are hard but repeatable, the 3min intervals wreck me.
Last edited by: TriguyBlue: Jan 27, 19 1:54
Quote Reply
Re: TR Oly build is really hard! [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did the HIM mid base and was quite fine with it. The build is quite hard now though. Maybe the ftp measurement was slightly too high but I find myself tuning down 2% or so.

Interestingly it's not so much the Vo2max stuff, which hurts obviously, but even more so the over/unders and threshold work.

I love to tick boxes to a 100% but find myself getting too tired and I miss the recovered feeling of the base phase which makes me go hard when it's time to and stronger all around I guess. Hard to know what's too tired though.

I'd say TR works. It might be too hard though. Having 3 intensity sessions (counting sustained 80-85% as intensity) on the bike might be 1 too many, for me at least. I think I'd be better off with 2 intensity, 1 recovery and 1 long easy ride. Last year I overtrained and underperformed in races, then got hurt. I don't want to make this mistake again. But like I said, the struggle switching out workouts and not completing to 100% is hard.
Quote Reply
Re: TR Oly build is really hard! [DaniD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DaniD wrote:
Newbie here, second year doing triathlons, FTP195, doing the mid volume oly build. Several times the first interval on those VO2 days looks like it's going to be the last...but somehow I end pulling through the whole workout, it's not pretty but....having said that, my wife has come in the garage to check on me a couple times because she can hear me exhale from inside the house, lol.

My wife has had to do that many times. She has gotten to the point that unless she hears a scream or loud crash, she no longer checks on me. My son, on the other hand, seems to like trying to talk with me when I am breathing hard like that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next