Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TRI BIKE FIT
Quote | Reply
To All Yee Experts,

I am Marine AV8B pilot currently stationed in Afghanistan. We are over here flying combat missions on a daily basis; a unique experience to say the least. Before I deployed last summer, I did two short course Tris; one on MTB, the other on my very old college road bike. I am fairly good shape (10k 36 min) for a forty yr old and am looking at taking up the sport with enthusiasm. My road bike is a 1986 Sport Bianchi poorly configured for Tris only profile bars. There is no good LBS in CONUS where I live; three hour drive to SD or PHX. New baby prevents frequent travel. I have done all my research on line while over here. I have read and understand the importance of proper bike fit. Unfortunately it isn't practical given the above listed reasons. I am in the market for a used titanium bike that I can race and train on. I have am hard on my products and enjoyed the ride of a Merlin Cyrene I rode on leave last summer. I know that Cervelo, Kestrel and others make some fine carbon and aluminum bikes. I would like to by a tri specific but may go the way of road (Tuscany or Cyrene) and then modify using some of Dan's and others suggestions. I have looked over the specs and reviews of the Blade (not good), Saber, Pican-Ti, Aerial among others. Using several web links, I downloaded bike fitting specs and then had my flight surgeon assist me in completing the measurements. Of course the specs are designed for road bikes and due to the more desired areo position I am at a loss of what size tri-bike would fit me. Below are some of my specs as we could best determine.

Overall Height: 169cm (66.5")

Inseam:75cm (29.75")

Body Height (Floor to sternum notch): 140cm (55")

I welcome any recommendations on what size bike, model and make would best fit me in the titanium arena. I am currently monitoring EBAY and can purchase and ship to wife. I thought I would be able to race this summer upon our return, but we recently found out we will be staying longer than expected. Small price for freedom.
Quote Reply
Re: TRI BIKE FIT [AV8BMARINE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frames are generally measured by multiplying your inseam by .67, which in your case would be .67 X 75 = 50.25. cm.

Make sure that your inseam has been measured correctly. The industry standard is to have you in bike shorts or something tight and in sock feet. place your back to a wall and with your feet a couple of inches apart jam a book tight up against your crotch. Have an assistant measure from the floor to the top of the book.

If your inseam measurement is correct, it would seem that you are a long torso/shorter leg individual, so you have to be careful of not purchasing a bike with too short a top tube.

Different manufacturers measure their bikes differently but if you were purchasing a bike that I'm familiar with like a Cervelo P2K I would guess that a 51 cm frame would fit you quite well. I'm not familiar with the other bikes that you have mentioned.

Hope this helps a little and hope that you are able to come home soon.
Quote Reply
Re: TRI BIKE FIT [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your feedback. I did the measurements as you stated only without bike shorts since I don't have any here (used running shorts instead). My flight surgeon and I took the measurements four times and then took the averages. I also measured lower tibia, femur, chest width and many other items because several of the programs called for these measurements, both sitting and standing. I also weigh about 155 lbs and have about average to slightly below average flexibility. I am working on the later. I would agree that my body type is short in leg and a little long in torso.

From what I have read I would best fit on a bike of 50 cm c-t or 51 cm c-t and a top tube of about 53-54 cm. Does this seem right to you for both a tri-bike and a road bike (see later comment regarding cervelo)? If the TT was a little off, I've read I can adjust that by getting a longer or shorter stem. Is this true as well? Are there limits to how far I should go with stems?

I've read that QR builds their bikes with the TT a little shorter for longer legged bodies like females. I've looked at the specs of the Pican-Ti but I can't make sense of them due to the varied geometry.

The specs on the Saber look about right but a little short in TT. The specs on a Tachyon might fit but I read some threads from this forum that says that the frame is really designed for a super longer torso. I just don't see myself like that but maybe I am.

I've read nothing but good stuff on the P2K (Tom Demerly writes some great reviews on his bikesport.com web site; Dan also has great things to say about Cervelo) but I am pretty set on getting a titanium bike for the reason of durability above all else. Interestingly I noticed that the TT on a Cervelo P2K, 51 cm bike set at 78 deg is 51 cm and at 75 deg is 54 cm.

Does this mean I would fit on a tri bike (78 deg) 51 cm c-t and a TT of 51 cm despite my longer torso?

Thanks for your feedback. Believe it or not the internet is the majority or our entertainment over here. Obviously training in this environment is challenging.
Quote Reply