Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"It doesn't fit me - I'm not going to ride a medium with only 600mm of front centre."

you're like 187cm or 188cm aren't you? you'd probably be a L. i'm 6'2" and that's 188cm isn't it? i know i'd be a large.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right. There are three frame sizes and essentially three stem lengths. I am not sure all riders will fit with that limited amount of adjustability.

I don't consider my position extreme as I am 6'0" and ride a 56cm Cervelo P5 with the Alpha X arm cups in the forward position. I'm tweaking my position and will either end up with the arm cups slammed or with the 10mm pedestal spacer.

The 56cm P5 has a stack of 540mm and reach of 425mm.

The M Omni has a stack of 525mm and reach of 405mm. So while I can just add 15mm of stack to get to the same place as the P5, I'm 20mm short on reach. And I've already maxed out the reach with the Alpha X. So the M Omni won't work.

The L Omni has a stack of 560mm and a reach of 435mm. So with the L, the reach is fine, in fact I gain 10mm of reach over the P5 so may be able to use the neutral arm cup position. But the Omni's stack is 20mm more than the P5, and I am already running the Alpha X slammed or with the 10mm pedestal spacer. So going to the Omni will raise me 10-20mm from where I need to be.

Yes I know this is only an n=1 but in my case a 56cm P5, a bike that is not known as particularly "long and low," will work for me while an Omni will not.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about setback? I ride 9cm behind the BB and this doesn't look like it will accommodate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they should be congratulated on such an ambitious project.

Does anyone else think it looks like a person on "all fours" when it is as a frameset though? Haha
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [hutchy_belfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes a little creepy looking, in fact!!
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No integrated hydration?

Not sure the geometry will support my position being one of the aliens from Dan's articles..
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks great with slammed stem but what happens when you add extra spacers below the stem as I would probably need?? Aeroness and looks take a big hit?!?!
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Sep 13, 16 0:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aero-wise it will be about the same. Looks-wise all bikes with spacers are ugly. But then again so are huge headtubes.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
No integrated hydration?

First thing I noticed as well.... :(
I love the integrated bottle on the Ventum design.

The built in bent box on top, rubbery with the split top opening, do these work well? I thought folks were constantly complaining about them on the Felt IA's, etc?

Otherwise, I really like the look, and the Medium looks like it would fit me quite well... :)
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
knighty76 wrote:
No integrated hydration?

First thing I noticed as well.... :(
I love the integrated bottle on the Ventum design.

The built in bent box on top, rubbery with the split top opening, do these work well? I thought folks were constantly complaining about them on the Felt IA's, etc?

Otherwise, I really like the look, and the Medium looks like it would fit me quite well... :)

I think it looks like a Ventum that has been left in the curing oven too long, and that they forgot to attach the integrated water bottle to.

Questionable geometry, as follows the current disappointing trend towards sit-up-and-beg positioning. Mentioned above, I'm one of the aliens in Dan's article and with pad stack/reach of 575/510 I can literally only just make this work, with the medium totally slammed and pads under-mounted and all the way forward. Small serves my stack a bit better, but no chance on reach. And I wasn't the most alien-like in Dan's survey, not that much of an outlier and there are plenty other freaks like me, probably with fast positions.

I just can't get my head around it. All of these aero features on the frame, but they forgot about the large human sitting on the thing which makes up the vast majority of the drag.

Between this and the Canyon on the front page, I'm feeling all a bit meh about these new bikes. Sticking with my P3C until I can afford the Canyon SLX.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

you're like 187cm or 188cm aren't you? you'd probably be a L. i'm 6'2" and that's 188cm isn't it? i know i'd be a large.

Don't lump me in with the midgets! 193cm thank you.

I was going to graph the fit range my way, but excel crashed and I'm too jetlagged to start again, so you get the playschool version
This is for the large, X is me

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally, a progressive frame where the maker comes right out and says it's ok to ride it on a trainer. THANK YOU. Now just put bottle bosses all over the thing so people can add what they want if they want.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone else think 1 year warranty for a $5k frame is damn stingy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be more than willing to be an early adopter if not for the ITU. Can't race worlds on this bike.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [hutchy_belfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hutchy_belfast wrote:
Does anyone else think 1 year warranty for a $5k frame is damn stingy?

Yep. Especially when cervelo will replace your old frame if it cracks, no matter how long you've had it.

and we can add one new bike that's short and high. Next.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will stick with my Ventum and the integrated hydration.
I can not imagine it tests much different than the Ventum in a wind tunnel, it looks like its basically the same frame.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm impressed! Nick has done a great job making this frame style look good while maximizing areas triathletes are interested: aero, ease, nutrition. Nice work! I can't wait to see one in the wild! Unless I'm mistaken, Nick runs TriRig as a very small and lean operation. This new bike is fantastic and goes up against the major triathlon players out there. That's a testament to his dedication to this sport, and it's great to see an entrepreneur take such a big leap.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So a triathlon only bike, but no consideration for hydration. Because he spent too much time hiding a Silca Allen key in the fork. FFS. Never mind word is those kappa cages are literally unusable while actually riding. Meaning they hold too tightly.

So I guess this is for dentists who race sprints?

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why so much hate for dentists?
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
So a triathlon only bike, but no consideration for hydration. Because he spent too much time hiding a Silca Allen key in the fork. FFS. Never mind word is those kappa cages are literally unusable while actually riding. Meaning they hold too tightly.

So I guess this is for dentists who race sprints?

Well, it does come with a BTA mount for the front, and a behind the seat mount that can mount one or two bottles. Some of us prefer to use bottles rather than rube goldberg devices that leak and require you to sit up and refill from another bottle while riding (a scary proposition for triathletes). Much quicker and safer to swap a rear bottle to the front when you've finished the front bottle. But you can still mount your own fancy front hydration system if the simple act of removing a bottle, drinking, and putting it back while staying in aero is too advanced an athletic activity for you.

I see a lot of clever and well thought out things about this frame. Won't be on my purchase list as I'd rather have a frame that gives me some room to go up or down and I'm at the very bottom of his stack range right now, but it should sell well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a major problem with integrating such features like hydration and bento boxes into the bike; you are spending $5k and if those extras don't work perfectly you are left feeling meh about a $25-$100 add on when the focus should be on the bigger picture. I would prefer to let the Xlabs of the world design products with solutions to these problems rather than integrate everything only to find it isn't functional
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He´s obviously been inspired by my budget BP Stealth build:

Mine cost a LOT less than $8000 too - more like about a 20th of that...!

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Re: TRIRIG OMNI IS COMING!!!! [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed!

As for the hydration issue...there is a company that no one really talks about anymore: Speedfil! Get their A2 refillable bottle and Z4 cage, which has an integrated Garmin attachment.

I'm just bummed about the colours. A white base with coloured or black & grey details would be super sharp. That solid black mass, especially with the TR orange gives it a cheap-ish open mould feel. Also, the choice of typeface is horrendous.

I wonder too about that bento box. I had the Torhans Aerobento and it sucked. Could barely get my fingers in there. On the trainer, standing. Forget about during a race. I also tried the Profile Design one, same thing. I'm now using an Xlab zippered bag and it's perfect. So I hope this one can open wide.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No disrespect, but using the bar adjustability to hide the gaps in the frame sizes does not help. **

At 590/600 and 535 reach, I have to give up something to get at my coordinates. Now maybe that compromise would be ok (for instance, I could go medium and just but my elbows 10mm forward of normal and have the same virtual fit). But for people like me and other aliens that want reach with a reasonable stack, the cockpit is put to its full range on a medium, or you have to use undermount on large and still miss stack (in my case).

I understand I am not normal and many being vocal are in the minority, but can at least ONE "superbike" come out where people don't have to "make it work". I think the closest thing might be the Canyon but I'd have to check the chart there. All I'm asking for is 20-30 mm of reach so I don't have to push the pads all the way forward and put even more weight up there.

But I digress.

Bike looks well thought out, definitely has some cool features and isn't priced as high as I thought it would be for the frame module (I was thinking more of ~$6k for what he offered). Kuddos to Nick and anyone else involved for bringing it to market. I'm sure a fair number of people will give this a serious look.

I'll wait for the Omni X(tra long)

*I understand extra frame sizes to account for the <5% of us who meet this criteria is expensive and probably does not have a good ROI. But I like to complain about stuff.
Last edited by: zachboring: Sep 13, 16 5:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
This is a major problem with integrating such features like hydration and bento boxes into the bike; you are spending $5k and if those extras don't work perfectly you are left feeling meh about a $25-$100 add on when the focus should be on the bigger picture. I would prefer to let the Xlabs of the world design products with solutions to these problems rather than integrate everything only to find it isn't functional

I mostly agree with this. Look at the IA calpac where people have to use a velcro strap bento over the thing. Of course, then you're left with no aftermarket company making a product like we see with Cervelo and the IA draft box.
Quote Reply

Prev Next