Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
TREK disc brake SC?
Quote | Reply
Did they just post a sneak peek of a DB speed concept on Instagram????
Quote Reply
Re: TREK disc brake SC? [zooropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. That's just post to thank SRAM. They are showing pictures of two different bikes. Notice how the brake levers are mechanical and not hydraulic.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: TREK disc brake SC? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m not totally disagreeing with you...but that fork on the disc brake image looks like the speed concept fork, but the new madone has one similar, so it could just be a madone...

But in reference to your post...you could choose to run mechanical disc brake and use that brake lever shown...I actually have that brake lever on this bike I am currently building...which is disc brake...
Last edited by: zooropa: Dec 7, 20 13:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want a disc brake sc as much as anyone (or at least an updated bike) but this is not a post insinuating a new sc coming.

To your second sentence, the brake shown in the first picture is a hydraulic. The 2 pictures are from different bikes. I think people are reaching here.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I want a disc brake sc as much as anyone (or at least an updated bike) but this is not a post insinuating a new sc coming.

To your second sentence, the brake shown in the first picture is a hydraulic. The 2 pictures are from different bikes. I think people are reaching here.

You’re right there...my bad 😊
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given the rumors of revised UCI rules, I would guess Trek will sit out a revised SC until they are sure of the rules and then do a single TT and Tri bike.
Quote Reply
Re: TREK disc brake SC? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Given the rumors of revised UCI rules, I would guess Trek will sit out a revised SC until they are sure of the rules and then do a single TT and Tri bike.

This...^

As I understand it, the current SC is at least as fast as any of the latest 'superbikes' - if not more so in some cases. They've clearly overhauled their main road bike offering, so the smaller TT/Tri market may well be next, but they would be daft to release something new until any new rules are confirmed.

Also, what can they bring to the table that sets themselves apart, rather than just being another 'me-too' bike..? Scott, Specialized & Canyon have recently brought out bikes with arguably very similar features (disc brakes, integrated hydration, and storage) IF they could include all of these features, plus a great deal of adjustability in a frame that is easy to work on, weighs a lot less AND looks fast as fu(k - then they have a winner. Otherwise it's probably not worth their R&D costs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got a link to that photo? Would like to check it out!
Quote Reply
Re: TREK disc brake SC? [KYRxTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.instagram.com/p/CIgD-1bAuqP/

That's the post, its a Madone fork.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a Madone. The fork is a little skinny for a SC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of curiousity, I hope they address they snapping bolts on the aero bars for the next unit. I was thinking about getting one now, even though it doesn't have a disc set up, but read far too many stories all saying the same thing:

Aerobar bolt snapped mid-ride and I crashed or almost crashed. That's insane. All riders also said the same thing-Trek stated it was an isolated incident.
Quote Reply
Re: TREK disc brake SC? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that they increased the bolt size used on the bars, at least partly in an effort to prevent them from snapping.
Quote Reply
Re: TREK disc brake SC? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd hope so. I haven't heard of any update from TREK themselves, just suggestions by posters to find other bolts from elsewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
Out of curiousity, I hope they address they snapping bolts on the aero bars for the next unit. I was thinking about getting one now, even though it doesn't have a disc set up, but read far too many stories all saying the same thing:

Aerobar bolt snapped mid-ride and I crashed or almost crashed. That's insane. All riders also said the same thing-Trek stated it was an isolated incident.

In my experience, it has more to do with poor installation than a design issue. Most people and bike shops are tightening one bolt fully and then tightening the other. This puts uneven stress across the two bolts and they fail. You need to incrementally tighten each bolt until you reach the desired torque on both.

The larger bolts are really a fix for poor installation.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
littlefoot wrote:

In my experience, it has more to do with poor installation than a design issue. Most people and bike shops are tightening one bolt fully and then tightening the other. This puts uneven stress across the two bolts and they fail. You need to incrementally tighten each bolt until you reach the desired torque on both.

The larger bolts are really a fix for poor installation.

This too, but I figured mentioning it would cause an argument....lol
Quote Reply
Re: TREK disc brake SC? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have seen that as well, but it still is concerning having the bolts sheer while riding downhill etc. Imagine if it was in a downhill turn.

I get the incremental tightening by singe bolt, but it still shouldn't happen.
Quote Reply
Re: TREK disc brake SC? [Hiphophopper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:

As I understand it, the current SC is at least as fast as any of the latest 'superbikes' - if not more so in some cases.

Paula Findlay agrees :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when this bike was designed, people did not ride with the extreme extension angles they do now. I would bet many people with issues are sinking the tilt screw as far as possible and have the pads forward. This puts all the weight on the lever.

If you want this position, run a mono with the extreme plug in extensions and keep the mono flat. That way, the bolts should be able to be tightened to the same depths

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
I have seen that as well, but it still is concerning having the bolts sheer while riding downhill etc. Imagine if it was in a downhill turn.

I get the incremental tightening by singe bolt, but it still shouldn't happen.

Had a few speed concepts now since 2014, never had a bolt issue and I run the extension almost at their max angle. I am very carful how I tighten the bolts down and I do test and sometimes even change bolts out. These bolts take a ton of stress and a lot of sweat get on them. If your doing proper maintenance this is one place you check. I think people do what Steve said and dont tighten correctly which can lead to problems, follow directions and things work dont and well things can break.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:

A friend had this happen and when she went to the Trek store for repair, the guy taking in her bike says it happens all the time. Our mechanic worked at Trek and with the engineers on the service manual for the SC. He says it is very common and poor design. We have had similar issues with QR, but not of the magnitude of the SC. Seems Trek knows quite well of it and if it's a build issue, many of the complaints we've serviced came from the Trek dealer. I doubt installation is the whole story.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: TREK disc brake SC? [playguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
playguy wrote:
littlefoot wrote:

A friend had this happen and when she went to the Trek store for repair, the guy taking in her bike says it happens all the time. Our mechanic worked at Trek and with the engineers on the service manual for the SC. He says it is very common and poor design. We have had similar issues with QR, but not of the magnitude of the SC. Seems Trek knows quite well of it and if it's a build issue, many of the complaints we've serviced came from the Trek dealer. I doubt installation is the whole story.

Guess I will keep defending trek in that I know a lot of people that rides these bike I worked with mostly the same mechanic over the years and this issue has never come up. I would also go out on a limb and say I put my bikes through more then the avg rider. Ok leaving this debate now....

I am really excited to see if trek releases something; I cant quite get myself to get any of these other bikes that are out now as I simply am waiting for trek to make a disc bike with a front end that adj easier.

Quote Reply
Re: TREK disc brake SC? [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
playguy wrote:
littlefoot wrote:

Guess I will keep defending trek in that I know a lot of people that rides these bike I worked with mostly the same mechanic over the years and this issue has never come up. I would also go out on a limb and say I put my bikes through more then the avg rider. Ok leaving this debate now....

I am really excited to see if trek releases something; I cant quite get myself to get any of these other bikes that are out now as I simply am waiting for trek to make a disc bike with a front end that adj easier.

We get them in all the time and the Trek store here says they all eventually break. Your experience is different, but I surely would not pay that kind of money for the risk. We're talking Project One, not base models.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
playguy wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:
playguy wrote:
littlefoot wrote:

We get them in all the time and the Trek store here says they all eventually break. Your experience is different, but I surely would not pay that kind of money for the risk. We're talking Project One, not base models.

I have beaten the crap out of some of these bikes never had a issue; Steve is same as me; so I find this interesting that people that have not beaten the crap out of there bikes (and by beaten the crap out of them I mean ride them hard but maintain them well) have never had a single issue..... Guess I will just say its luck...... For the money I still dont think there is a faster better bike around hands down.

Quote Reply
Re: TREK disc brake SC? [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toothengineer wrote:
playguy wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:
playguy wrote:
littlefoot wrote:

I have beaten the crap out of some of these bikes never had a issue; Steve is same as me; so I find this interesting that people that have not beaten the crap out of there bikes (and by beaten the crap out of them I mean ride them hard but maintain them well) have never had a single issue..... Guess I will just say its luck...... For the money I still dont think there is a faster better bike around hands down.

We'll then disagree. I'd guess the Trek service people would as well as do our mechanics. Seems you two are lucky. The Trek mechanic said to replace them yearly.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
playguy wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:
playguy wrote:
Toothengineer wrote:
playguy wrote:
littlefoot wrote:

We'll then disagree. I'd guess the Trek service people would as well as do our mechanics. Seems you two are lucky. The Trek mechanic said to replace them yearly.

Not all trek mechanics are created equal.

Quote Reply

Prev Next