Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TOSRV and Little Smokies 1/2IM
Quote | Reply
I just signed up for TOSRV(may8) that 210 miles ride total columbus-portsmouth. I was wondering if anyone has done it and can give me feedback.. It asked me if I wanted to camp or stay in a gymnasium, I picked the gymnasium.. Also, I was wondering if I could get feedback about the little smokies half IM(end of may), I heard it's a rough race but that's about it. May will be a rough month for me (marathon may2) but I am trying to plan races and rides out of town to avoid the upcoming 17 years cicada's. I would love help:)
Quote Reply
Re: TOSRV and Little Smokies 1/2IM [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marisol,

You'll probably love it. I have done it twice and have enjoyed it both times in spite of the weather. So early in the Spring the weather can be very unpredictable. Columbus Outdoor Pursuits sponsors this tour and they do a great job. It is well supported. There are rest stops about every 25 miles with lots of food to keep you from bonking. Its basically a flat route except for some rolling hills south of Chillicothe for about 15 miles. All in all a pretty easy ride for so early in the year. In recent years about 3,200 to 3,600 riders participate each year. At one time this tour, or bicycling, was so popular that more than 7,000 riders participated each year. There is a long and fascinating history of this ride.

Overniting in the gymnasium is a good choice. I think you mean the College gym. They also scatter participants all over Portsmouth in about ten elementary school gyms, not as many amenities as the College gym though. Camping if the weather is cold and/or wet can be a chore/drudgery. You really don't need this added burden on this ride. Its okay to spoil yourself so early in the year. You'll be close to where they organize the different meal venues.

Hope you have good weather and a great ride.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Re: TOSRV and Little Smokies 1/2IM [Marisol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Little Smokies is a gas! It was a bit on the chilly side last year with water warmer than the air at start time. HFP hit it on the nose with the bike course description. I thought the run was tougher than the bike. You could not ask for a more challenging but beautiful course. As always, HFP events are top notch...can't go wrong there. Have fun.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: TOSRV and Little Smokies 1/2IM [Wants2rideFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I am looking forward to it. I guess I just have to hope that the weather cooperates! I figured that Little Smokies was going to be hard by the description but never hurts to double check..
Quote Reply