Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TNT vs Clyde vs Zincster
Quote | Reply
Slow down horses those other links are getting to big, so I thought I would plug in my nickel. I got into trisport in 1980. Did two Ironmen 1982 (11:32)
1986 (10:35) was around 110-115th place of 1500 in both races. Not good but ok times then. I was the daddy of Louisiana Tinman which has evolved into this years Short Course Nats. I disclaim the new swim course. Wait till you see that one Zinc. Igot married the night before Ironman 86 and pretty much retired after that race,and yes I now can be a Clyde. So here goes.
1.TNT's may not be the best triathletes out there, but wherever they choose to go the race director gets a couple hundred more guys than they would have had. For St Anthony, they didn't really need it, but our Lavaman a couple weeks ago sure did appreciate the 150 or so entries. I see those people as folks who are on the farm club and they may become the next generation of supporters for our races.
2. We are all posers. Hey if you ain't going for the overall win, you ain't in the race. After 20 years of pulling ourselves up and getting to Olympic status, triathlon is barely a blip on the radar screen. With less than a hundred people making a living at trisport in America we need all the guys we can get. You may be racing for your age group or weight class, but if you are not in it for the overall win you are some sort of a handicapper. (Not in a disabled type of way) But competing for a place or rank other than overall.
3. The more prizes the better. As a former race director, I think the more awards and goodies you give away the better. Hey those Big guys, and TNT folk face the same drivers on the road, over training injuries, and spend their tourist dollars as well as any one else. Heck give them a prize. They have kids and coworkers to brag to just like the rest of us.
4. Ain't what it used to be. Races are getting more costly to produce and harder to find. Think Globle act Local. I haven't seen the Bahamas Zincman tri on the schedule yet. Plan to be a race director, course marshall, work with kids, or be a "coach for all your buddies" Race directors need love too.
5. Don't eat your young. Watch a NASCAR race on TV. 50K fans pay $100 to hear and see cars drive around in circles. And a couple million more watch it on the tube. We need all the folks we can get. I bet I thanked 75 of the 150 TNT folks for coming to Hawaii and spending their money at our race. Zinc even though you are so much better than the "fat guys" and TNT people, did you ever think they may look up to you as a role model? Yea it is a drag having to go around so many folks, but every one of them that you pass thinks of you as a "hero" except the one you told to F &%$ off and she probably thinks of you as an a$$ hole. Sorry this was so long but it bugged me all day at work. Aloha G
Quote Reply
Nicely said.... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with your opinion. I had even replied to a couple of Pinc's posts, only to delete them before posting. Everyone needs to relax, cut out the elitism, especially with shoddy times, and have fun. In my view it's the training that has changed my life and made me a triathlete, not the top 15% finishes in AG. Oh, clydes is what got me into tri, so that class is invaluable for people like me.
Quote Reply