Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TNI valve extenders & spare tire question
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking of ordering these valve extenders:
http://store.yahoo.com/trisports/valveextenders.html

for my hed jet 60 front and hed deep rear. I think i'll need to use a 40mm and a 28mm together on a long valve tube in order to get it to work with the hed deep.

My only question now is, what do I do if I flat? Do i carry an extra set of the valve extenders already attached to the spare tube (this would make the valve 11cm.... pretty darn long to fit into a small saddle bag)? or do I unscrew the valve extenders from the flatted tube, and put them on the new tube?

anybody input from people with experience with these extenders and/or wheels would be appreciated.

wilson
Quote Reply
Re: TNI valve extenders & spare tire question [wilson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 these look good with the O ring. the problem with putting extenders on after a flat is getting a good seal. you can put a piece of teflon tape around the thread of the spare. i have been lucky enough not to have flatted in a race. i use the tape when i put the tubies on the zipp rims to help the seal. assuming also you are carrying co2 you want to make sure the extender is on tight w. a good seal before letting loose with the gas. ted3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use this type of extender, moving the valve outside of the rim only way to go! I have not tried to reinstall one yet, it should seal just as good as the valve core. Tufo makes a very small tool to remove both the extender and the valve core, I think tri-zone has them. Caution, this tool is made of plastic, if you use a wrench to install the extender this tool may not remove it on the side of the road.

Good Luck

Brian
Quote Reply
Re: TNI valve extenders & spare tire question [mtndrive] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You had better use teflon tape I have had trouble when I didn't use it. Race time is no time for troubles . Use it in training so you are ready for anything. I don't like changing clinchers when racing. And I don't like leaking valve extenders. I Like the TUFO valv wrench. Pre tape the extender and put it in your bag.
Thanks Dirtball!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only valve extenders I use leave the valve core in place. The extender is essentially a threaded tube that takes the place of the valve cap. This is a nice solution in some ways as there's no pressure in the extender and therefore no way it can leak. I found it odd that you need to keep the valve core unscrewed in the "open" position, but after all, it is a one way valve. If you actually wanted to deflate a tire using thie type of extender, you would need to remove the extender to get to the valve. Anyways, I think this is a really simple solution that I like.
Quote Reply