Quote | Reply
[/img]
Quote Reply
Re: TJ Tollakson's Bike [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
More on this bike at:

http://bicycledesign.net/...-obree-of-triathlon/

The cables like that would bother the he'll out of me.

Re: TJ Tollakson's Bike [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The beams on the Zipps do not deflect much at all, even on a soft setting. See the pivot bolt on the front of the beam? About 8" behind that and on the top of the beam is a bolt that you can adjust up or down. Adjusting down will squish the elastomers under the beam and take away any movement the beam can have. If you leave it out more, the elastmoers will be slightly softer and the beam may deflect a tad, but not near as much as a Softride. The only deflection you may have is a from an elastomer that is about 2" tall and not very soft. The carbon beam itself does not move at all, except a slight sway from side to side under lots of wattage.

Btw - I've had 4 Zipp 2001's and a Softride SE7.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: TJ Tollakson's Bike [sandwich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish these beam bikes hadn't gone away. They were insanely comfortable and really, really fast for TT (I set several PRs and qualified for Nationals on a Softride Qualifier.) I sold mine recently since I'm not racing much and am moving to frames I built myself. Was sad to see it go. Blah, UCI and all you weight weenies!

----

http://AustinOnTwoWheels.com
The Online Magazine of Austin Cycling Culture
Violet Crown Cycles
http:violetcrowncycles.com
Handbuilt custom touring and city bikes from Deep in the Heart of Texas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't TJ just switch to Parlee bikes last year? I'm pretty sure he debuted the new Parlee TT at the Racine 70.3 last year. I guess he lost that sponsorship if he's on a 1996 Zipp 2001. Orrrr he did some crazy engineering calculations and found this to be the fastest bike for him. I remember reading an article last year (I thought it was an ST article, but alas, the search didn't turn anything up) that he had his bike equipped with all SRAM Red components EXCEPT for the front brake caliper, which was, I believe, SRAM Rival. His explanation for the Rival caliper was that, though it was slightly heavier than a Red caliper, its design was more aero, which was worth the extra weight. This guy looks for ANY free speed he can get.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you happen to know how much that weighs by chance?
Such an awesome bike, sorry for him he missed the record.
I bet those shin pads lower the CDA a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: TJ Tollakson's Bike [MSUtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MSUtri wrote:
How would one go about applying for an internship with TJ?

One would probably email him at Rüster Sports...
Quote Reply
Re: TJ Tollakson's Bike [bikinpolitico] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bikinpolitico wrote:
I wish these beam bikes hadn't gone away. They were insanely comfortable and really, really fast for TT (I set several PRs and qualified for Nationals on a Softride Qualifier.) I sold mine recently since I'm not racing much and am moving to frames I built myself. Was sad to see it go. Blah, UCI and all you weight weenies!

----

You can always get a Titanflex....or a softride or Zipp off eBay......or do what I did and get a used Titanflex off eBay ;).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: TJ Tollakson's Bike [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm. That cockpit photo showing the forearm rests has me thinking this set up is getting closer to being a faring.
Quote:
Quote Reply
Re: TJ Tollakson's Bike [RobLindqu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He chose to use Ultegra 6500 calipers because it was the 'most aero' based on his testing.

I think this was either on the Parlee TT or the Spez Transition...
Quote Reply
Re: TJ Tollakson's Bike [ricecooker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope he had his tentis shot with all that rust.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder what rear brake he is running to allow for the SRM.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: TJ Tollakson's Bike [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be happy to donate a new TitanFlex to TJ for his out-of-the-box experimentations.

Seriously, TJ, get back to me about this.

Cheers,

Tom Piszkin
UCSD Triathlon Coach
@TitanFlexBikes
(619)334-7222
(619)328-1870 FAX
Quote Reply
Re: TJ Tollakson's Bike [Iowaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tetanus?

I agree with you though...that elbow pad looks like it barely protects his elbow from that little bolt, which I have to imagine would be quite uncomfortable...also, WTF is up with his cabling? Seriously, it's not that hard to route cables out of the way, if not internally. Some cable ties even would do him some good.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: TJ Tollakson's Bike [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks TJ, I needed that laugh. Being a former college baseball player, the cups was absolutley hilarious!
Quote Reply

Prev Next