Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

THE BEST REAR DISC WHEEL?
Quote | Reply
I am looking to buy a 650c disc wheel for Ironman events to complement my Mavic IO5 front, (without doubt the fastest front wheel on the market, even Mr Cobb concedes this). I was going to get a Mavic Comete but they don't do it in 650c duugh!

What would you get, I was thinking of a HED 3D but I am not sure it would look right with the Mavic up front, so maybe a HED Superlight, or a Falcon Accell or a Renn 575? I just can't decide.

Any ideas?

Thanks AndyA
Quote Reply
Re: THE BEST REAR DISC WHEEL? [AndyA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zipp 909 or Hed Superlight.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: THE BEST REAR DISC WHEEL? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
or Corima
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check with your local bike shop. Euro-Asia Imports may have 650c Comete rear wheels.
Your LBS can buy from them.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"to compliment my Mavic IO5"

Dude......You Aae a god! Or at least a super cool triathlete.

If you can, I'd go 3D. It only looks funky if they pass you, otherwise you've got the coolest wheel combo ever.

If you're less style inclined, here's my calls:
Renn-Probably the most durable.
Zipp dimple- lightest/most aero?
HED Superlight- kinda ugly, but a decent lenticular
Accel- light, but not as light as they advertise (they don't seem to weigh the hub with the wheel.) the stuff they coat their wheels with is kinda weird (and you can't true them.
Corima- good wheel, great hub, just not quite as cool.

-

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If money is an issue, the Renn is an excellent value. If not, just put their names in a hat and draw.

Some might be a little lighter, more durable or even have dimples but in reality there is really no such thing as the "best" disc from a noticeable performance perspective. As posted here before, a disc is a disc is a disc. They all do the same thing and range in price from $59.95 to about three grand. How much you want to spend for the same performance is up to you.
Quote Reply
Re: THE BEST REAR DISC WHEEL? [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gopha

I agree with the choice but don't you think they look kinda weird as a pair?

Sorry the jpegs where a lot smaller when I posted them!
AndyA
Last edited by: AndyA: Dec 30, 03 5:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know why the Hed 3D does not appear on Hed's webpage? Do they still make it?
Quote Reply
Re: THE BEST REAR DISC WHEEL? [johnthesavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They had some problems in manufacturing so have halted production for a while but you can still buy them from R&A cycles see: http://www.racycles.com/..._177738_products.htm

AndyA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blah Blah...Zipp is lighter...blah blah Renn has more bang for the buck...blah blah Cobb is in a wind tunnel not the real world...blah blah blah...on a flat course blah blah blah...

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: THE BEST REAR DISC WHEEL? [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Blah Blah..."

Holy Hanna Record, did your girlfriend run off last night or did you just get up on the wrong side this morning? Not to worry, here's something guaranteed to put a smile on your face.

http://www.trialtir-usa.com/gruppos/ghibli.html
Quote Reply
Re: THE BEST REAR DISC WHEEL? [johnthesavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was told by Hed that they stopped production on the 3D.I had problems with mine and sent it back.I had it converted for the track.Buy from the company with the best warranty.Hed has been great in my experience.
Cullen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might look at a disc made by X-treme Wheels called a G-Force Elite Disc. It's a full carbon disc that weighs 970 grams (700c), that's about 10 grams more than a Zipp (in the shop last week we found that a quarter and a nickel together weigh 11 grams) Even though it's slightly heavier, it's lenticular AND cheaper. So for less money, you get a superior wheel and all the effects of a lenticular disc with only 10 extra grams of weight. In my opinion, it's worth looing into!
Quote Reply
Re: THE BEST REAR DISC WHEEL? [JMP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you have a website for the x treme wheels?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: THE BEST REAR DISC WHEEL? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Their official website is www.x-tremewheels.com, but they haven't really got it "up and running" quite yet. It does have all the contact information on it thought. As for seeing their product, www.bobozone.com has their tri-spoke, spoked, and disc wheels. Give 'um a look!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not wait for the new HED disk.....due in a couple of months......970grams all carbon silky smooth lookin thing.......and did i mention the price????
Quote Reply
Re: THE BEST REAR DISC WHEEL? [OzHEDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hadn't heard HED were bringing out a new disc? Maybe I will wait, how much? I found a supplier who can do me a 650 Comete, but for $1850, thats not cheap!

I think I will surf e-bay for one for a couple of months then go with a HED or Zipp if I can't get the Mavic, and probably get a few Zipp decals to match the lot up as I have a Zipp 3001.

HAPPY NEW YEAR by the way!!

AndyA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually.....the 650 hed carbonlite disk is 940g

I only know what they'll sell for here in Oz

Go to hedcycling.com and download the new cataloge on the front page.....

And a Happy New Year to you too.......it's Midday here right now.......and the head still hurts
Quote Reply