Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Systemsix v. Madone
Quote | Reply
I have a high quality problem - deciding on a new road bike with a decent budget.

For background, I've been doing tris for a few years but always been strongest on the bike. This has taken me into the occasional time trial and road race - really as training for tris. Now I'm regularly riding with some fast groups and looking to get a bike which will put me at the front of that group, allow me to ride hard for 3-4 hr training rides and move into road racing if I fancy it next year.

I had a Felt AR1 a couple of years ago and hated it - way too harsh a ride for the crappy roads around here. Moved to a TCR and much preferred the ride quality. Now looking to see if I can upgrade to something full on aero without compromising all the ride quality.

Am narrowing the search down to Systemsix and Madone - would be willing to run them with bigger tires to cushion the ride a bit if needed. Any owners out there willing to share their views on the comfort of these bikes - even better if you've ridden both and can compare them directly.

Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: Systemsix v. Madone [simski81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing similar research, for similar reasons. I'm also looking at the Specialized Venge as a candidate, in addition to the Systemsix and Madone. I'm leaning towards the Madone because of the supposed extra comfort, but, like you, I'd love to hear some real world feedback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are doing Tris, the answer is simple. Madone Speed. You get the Madone plus the ability to add seamless pads and extensions. This will be my next road bike.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Systemsix v. Madone [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the lucky position of having a TT bike - so this is just for fast road riding/racing. It's fairly flat (few inclines over 10% or more than 200m elevation) where I mostly ride hence the aero bike choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't have any experience with the SystemSix, though it looks very sexy. I've tried Madone 9 and the new Venge (2019). What I can tell you is that the Madone frame definitely rides a little bit more compliant than the Venge, but it pales in comparison how plushy the Venge rides when you put on wide rim wheels (ENVE 4.5AR) and some big 30c tires with 50/60psi tubeless tires (Schwalbe Pro Ones). I don't know how big a tire the Madone will clear, but I would definitely think about bike comfort in terms of more than just the frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Systemsix v. Madone [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My teammate and I ride a lot of road and gravel. Believe it or not he rode his Madone SLR disk at DAMn (Day across MN 244 miles of gravel) and Gravel Worlds (Nebraska 150 miles). Gravel King 35's. Yep....it's tight....but he was 2nd at DAMn and 10th at worlds. The Madone is rocket fast compared to a round tube bike. We ride together a ton and have the data to prove it. The Madone is like a cheat code on gravel if you can deal with tires at 35mm.

I run 33 mm actual measuring GP 5000 tires on my Madone SLR. Tons of clearance. I run about 50psi and it is absolutely not slow.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like others have mentioned- Pick an aero bike that takes fat tires. Madone and Venge are good choices in that regard.

I have an Argon 18 Nitrogen Disc, It rides nice for an aero bike- not a total brink like many aero bikes. Takes 30mm tires.

Another bike that I like the looks of is the Ventum NS1- also takes fat tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
simski81 wrote:
I'm in the lucky position of having a TT bike - so this is just for fast road riding/racing. It's fairly flat (few inclines over 10% or more than 200m elevation) where I mostly ride hence the aero bike choice.

If you already have a TT bike then I'd also consider the newer road racing bikes that have incorporated some aero properties. Like the R5, Addict, Tarmac, or even the new SuperSix. The new integration on the Addict and SuperSix are very clean if you're going disc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bike doesn't make you fast, you do. Ride both and get the one you prefer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in the same position - looking to replace my aged race/group ride bike, and AFAIK, the SystemSix is slightly more aero but a rougher ride, while the Madone is slightly more comfortable for long rides but also a little harder to work on.

Rougher ride - i am not convinced that changing the air pressure by 10psi wont change that.
More aero - depends a bit on position and i think that once you take the rider into account, these differences fall within the error margins

I am looking to buy towards the end of this year, and will buy whichever i can get a better deal on - or failing that, whichever color appeals to me most.

--
Those who are slower than me suck.
Those who are faster than me dope
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same dilemma but went for the SystemSix AXS Hi-Mod, simply due to the price difference. I preferred the look of the madone, the custom paint options and the seat post adjustments, but not worth about £3000 more.

FWIW, the SystemSix is FAST. Only complaint is some rubbing noise where the brake hoses move around inside the fork tube.

Note I don't consider it a rough ride, but have not tested the market. I am running conti gp5000 25mm tubeless, which come up wider on the knot64 wheels, and they are very comfortable indeed.
Last edited by: gloscherrybomb: Sep 5, 19 7:58
Quote Reply
Re: Systemsix v. Madone [gloscherrybomb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2019 systemsix and love that bike!!!. I have 2020 SuperSix Evo as well and prefer the system six for regular road rides and crits. I have some guys I ride with from a Trek shop and they were all ranting how nice the sys6 is for what ever thats worth
Quote Reply
Re: Systemsix v. Madone [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
My teammate and I ride a lot of road and gravel. Believe it or not he rode his Madone SLR disk at DAMn (Day across MN 244 miles of gravel) and Gravel Worlds (Nebraska 150 miles). Gravel King 35's. Yep....it's tight....but he was 2nd at DAMn and 10th at worlds. The Madone is rocket fast compared to a round tube bike. We ride together a ton and have the data to prove it. The Madone is like a cheat code on gravel if you can deal with tires at 35mm.

I run 33 mm actual measuring GP 5000 tires on my Madone SLR. Tons of clearance. I run about 50psi and it is absolutely not slow.
This is really cool. What wheels are you and your friend using with the Gravel King 35s. Just wondering if the new wider wheels would work.
Quote Reply
Re: Systemsix v. Madone [Joelbob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xxx 6. 21 internal.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the Madone.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Cannondale is faster by a decent bit (accord to the Tour windtunnel results) and usually a little cheaper. I also like the Knot64 wheel design, which comes from licensing one of the HED designs. They will probably be a bit more agnostic to wider tire selection than the Bontrager rims.

The IsoSpeed is pretty nice for taking the edge off of frost cracks and those other sort of jarring road conditions. Our roads have some brutal frost cracks and that is what sold me on a Madone, though mine is the last generation. The current generation has the adjustability that mine lacks, so it can be set up even softer.

You have a nice "first world problem". I would go Trek if you value comfort, like a custom paint option, and budget isn't much of a concern. Cannondale otherwise.
Quote Reply
Re: Systemsix v. Madone [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have really started to consider what a "better ride" does for us in terms of speed. If we aren't getting beat up as much can we go harder and longer? I think we can.

Case in point. Speed concept with 90psi 23's vs. Madone with 50psi 32's. The SC is absolutely brutal. As are many of the modern "aero bikes." Setup the Madone SLR on fully soft, run big tires / low pressure (roll just as fast) and it's an incredible difference on the abuse to the body. Especially over the long haul it has to be worth a considerable amount.

I know for me racing mountain bikes it's an incredible beating on the entire body. That's an extreme example, but if the IsoSpeed on the Treks makes any difference in body wear and tear it's probably worth more wattage than any difference the wind tunnel can tease out in aero loss vs. the very fastest modern aero road bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
Case in point. Speed concept with 90psi 23's vs. Madone with 50psi 32's. The SC is absolutely brutal. As are many of the modern "aero bikes." Setup the Madone SLR on fully soft, run big tires / low pressure (roll just as fast) and it's an incredible difference on the abuse to the body. Especially over the long haul it has to be worth a considerable amount.

Agreed in principle - but is the ride quality REALLY that different, especially on decent tarmac?

--
Those who are slower than me suck.
Those who are faster than me dope
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Madone

Next question?
Quote Reply
Re: Systemsix v. Madone [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Controversial opinion for this forum: for road riding, an aero frame doesn't make that much of a difference in the first place and matters even less in group rides/races. Also, deep section wheels are annoying as hell in gusty cross winds in a group. IMO, success in racing is 99% about race sense, positioning and fitness, especially with crits. The microscopic gains from an aero frame are almost entirely irrelevant. Get an aero road helmet and some fitted kit, that matters a lot more.

Given that, I'd go with what you like in terms of fit, ride and looks. I'd get something that can fit 28mm+ tires, disc brakes and maybe something with a threaded BB. You pretty much can't go wrong with road bikes these days, everything is really good. I will say that you should try the latest Tarmac, that bike is awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Systemsix v. Madone [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your body is 70% of the aero equation, and with road bikes you can opt for multiple positions, the geometry that you are most comfortable with an aero position is the fastest bike, full stop. It doesn't mean anything if you have a fast bike and can't ride in the drops for longer than 5 minutes.

Preference wise, I'd go with the SystemSix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:

Can you please show us some pictures of your bikes with the Gravel King 35's or 33mm GP5000 tires ?

Should be a really fast bike on flat dirt/gravel roads...
Quote Reply
Re: Systemsix v. Madone [baerospeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Idk why people say madone is more expensive than systemSix.

Option#2.
Get Madone SLR project one, change weels to Bontrager XXX6= $8800, sell mechanical Ultegra R8000 off the bike ~$750, Buy DuraAce Di2 ~$2000. Total is $10k. Which is $2000 less than SystemSix DuraAce Di2.
Last edited by: Ksavostin: Sep 11, 19 21:40
Quote Reply
Re: Systemsix v. Madone [baerospeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have clearance pictures sorry. What I do have is some pictures on our facebook page of race rigs gussied up for pictures. The Domane has massive clearance....at least for what I'm used to. Team Apex p/b Crankworx Bike Shop

Quote Reply
Re: Systemsix v. Madone [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:
Controversial opinion for this forum: for road riding, an aero frame doesn't make that much of a difference in the first place and matters even less in group rides/races. Also, deep section wheels are annoying as hell in gusty cross winds in a group. IMO, success in racing is 99% about race sense, positioning and fitness, especially with crits. The microscopic gains from an aero frame are almost entirely irrelevant. Get an aero road helmet and some fitted kit, that matters a lot more.

Given that, I'd go with what you like in terms of fit, ride and looks. I'd get something that can fit 28mm+ tires, disc brakes and maybe something with a threaded BB. You pretty much can't go wrong with road bikes these days, everything is really good. I will say that you should try the latest Tarmac, that bike is awesome.

I'd agree that an aero frame isn't a total game changer in mass start road/crit racing, but it's a real benefit (particularly if you are racer who likes to mix it up out in front of the pack). I've got a Madone and I've done my own testing. I think Trek claims around 20 watts savings @ 40km/hr in a published study. I didn't see 20 watts, but it's definitely 10+ watts savings at that speed compared to my old Tarmac. That's back to back testing with the same wheels and exact same fit/body position on both bikes. 10 watts isn't going to turn a pack fodder rider into a break-away winner, but I'll take those watts any day when I'm in the wind. It's certainly not "microscopic". Same goes for deep section wheels. I don't have any issue riding ~60mm wheels unless it's gusting 30+ mph and ride them them year around whether training or racing. I know some gals who are around 100lbs who struggle with deep wheels on windy days, but most of the guys I know are racing on deep wheels unless the wind is crazy.

Is a skin suit and good body position going be make a bigger impact than an aero frame? Yes, but you can have your cake and eat it too.

To echo some other comments, I've also used my Madone in "less chunky" gravel races with bigger tires on zipp 404's and it's a great combo and surprisingly comfortable. My last gravel race I ended up with a flat early and chased solo for 2.5 hours and still ended up getting 3rd. Lots of time in the wind at well over 20 mph. I might have still gotten there without the aero gear, but I'll take everything I can get when I'm out on my own. From my experience, aero is more critical in gravel racing than typical road/crit racing since it's pretty unusual for a large pack to stay together until the end.

The aero bikes are so good these days, I don't know why you wouldn't get one if budget allows. I spent years riding Tarmacs and I didn't move to early aero bikes because they mostly sucked at everything but aerodynamics. There is zero compromise these days from my perspective, there are now aero bikes that do everything well.
Quote Reply

Prev Next