Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swollen uvula...
Quote | Reply
relax boys...it's not sexual...referring to that little punching bag we have in our throat...
Did a looooong ride, and ran out of water, despite taking plenty at the start and at the turn around...spent about 1h30' at the end, with nada! It was a nice 105F and very dry and pretty windy....now, the uvula is all swollen, and it's a bit tough to refill and get food in...
quick fix?

total ride time 7h - 240km - 230km of headwind (f..ker!) not exactly what I had in mind though...
Quote Reply
Re: Swollen uvula... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50 mg Benadryl orally.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This happened to me once. The nurse I talked to told me to ice it.

The preferred method of applying said ice was via milkshakes.

Arby's has about the best ones that aren't crazy expensive.

---
"You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious."

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -- Richard Feynman
Quote Reply
Re: Swollen uvula... [Xenu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish all ailments could be cured with milkshakes, ... what a better world we would live in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7hrs in the saddle? You're a sucker for punishment.
Quote Reply
Re: Swollen uvula... [triwz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How would Benadryl help this? Just curious, since histamine is not the source of the problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Swollen uvula... [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, the "real" source of his problem isn't known. He knows what he was doing prior to having the problem and that certainly raises suspicions though. However, whenever something like that is swollen I assume there could be an "allergic" component. If you're looking for a quick fix taking Benadryl won't hurt and it could help, which makes it a worthwhile option, in my book.
Quote Reply
Re: Swollen uvula... [triwz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed. I did a quick search and there are many 'theories' as to why this happens. First it's the mucous membrane around the uvula (and not the vulva as Paulo emailed me :-) ) that swells...
hypotheses are dehydration in arid weather (huh...darn! wouldn't have guessed!!! as yesterday was only 105 and 15% humidity...), allergy reaction and other stuff...
anyway, took some benadryl, drank well, and still have a nice chocolate milk shake ;-)
a lot better today even though it's still a tad swollen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you actually follow everything someone recommends in this forum? LOL :-P

Anyhow, glad to hear you are recovering!

Technique sets the upper limit to where your fitness will take you...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This reminds me of that Seinfeld episode with his friend that he thinks is called "Mulva"...

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Swollen uvula... [Xenu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]This happened to me once. The nurse I talked to told me to ice it.

The preferred method of applying said ice was via milkshakes.

Arby's has about the best ones that aren't crazy expensive.[/reply]

Why not Margaritas?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this is going pretty far back, but I had a hunch that someone probably had this problem and posted about it here given the number of medical opinions sought here. Anyway, do you recall the situation and how you progressed? I'm coming up on 24hrs, and I'm not sure if I'm just adjusting to the "worm-on-the-back-of-my-tongue" feeling or if the fucking thing is decreasing in size. Getting ready to gargle some saltwater. I'd rather snip it off with scissors, but that's probably problematic. >:-/ ARGH!!!!

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply