Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Switch to SRAM from Ultegra Di2?
Quote | Reply
Hey ST, I am looking to switch from my Ultegra DI2 to SRAM. I have 11 speed right now. I am sure someone on here has made the switch and I wanted to hear about the pros and cons. Oh I should mention I will keep my Rotor QXL rings. Thanks!!

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Switch to SRAM from Ultegra Di2? [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have SRAM Etap, but I did read of it having quite a few problems.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...eTap_issue_P6649520/

I hope they got it sorted, but before making the switch do a bit of research about it first.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
Hey ST, I am looking to switch from my Ultegra DI2 to SRAM. I have 11 speed right now. I am sure someone on here has made the switch and I wanted to hear about the pros and cons. Oh I should mention I will keep my Rotor QXL rings. Thanks!!

I am assuming AXS and 2x and with that assumption I should also state I have not used eTap or AXS. Therefore, anyone that has feel free to correct/add to what I say below.

Pros for switching:
  • ease of setup (no advantage as di2 is already installed)
  • 12spds
  • 1x has smaller jumps and or greater range
  • looks
Cons for switching:
  • cost (your system is paid for)
  • loss of rotor rings or having to buy a new set (added cost)
  • looks
  • new wheels/hubs needed to take advantage of greater range/smaller jumps (again, added cost)

There is also the sticky point about having to replace the PM with the rings (yet another added cost), but I really don't think a properly maintained bike is going to need to do that all that often. Besides, you want to go with Q-rings (which don't look to be out yet, but are coming) so I am going to assume you'd be sourcing the non-power version.

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Oct 12, 19 5:35
Quote Reply
Re: Switch to SRAM from Ultegra Di2? [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All good points and makes me think I should stick with DI2

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have ultegra di2 (6870), 11 speed red etap, and 12 speed force axs etap.

Shift quality. Setup means a lot in regards to shift quality. That aside, i think my di2 is at least equal to the sram options. But none suck either. My shop tends to set up di2 better... because the probably do it more. But i always fine tune, and i get all systems to where i am happy. Speed between systems is a non issue. Shimano still shifts better with the fd... but sram is almost as good.

Shifting. I think etap takes this one hands down. I love the simplicity, and the clics on the aerobar are sweet. The intuitive nature is fantastic for those 130% tt efforts when the brain is foggy. Blips are a bit stiff, but there will be no error shifts. Axs has compensated shifting like modern di2, but i dislike that as i want full control. I only want the the fd or rd shifting when i tell it to.

Gearing. I am torn here. As an amateur, the 50/34 on my red/di2 bikes with 11-32 give me most of what i need for climbing focused road bikes. I am not dreaming of 12 speed.

My axs setup is 35/48 x 11-28. This is fine for my tri bike, but i want more top end on descents. I think the 37-50 from red axs is the way to go, combined with an 11-33. Pretty killer combo for an amateur rider. And still decent (5?) 1 tooth gear changes on the fast side of the cassette. I may upgrade to those chainrings/casette next year).

Where axs kind of lets you down imho would be for pros requiring huge top end. 10x50 is fast... but i would prefer a larger chainring and the better chainline and mechanical efficiency of the 11 tooth on a 12 speed cassette (vs and identical setup But the 11 tooth being the smallest cog, and having a slightly less ideal chainline).

What i do like far more than i thought i would are the smaller tooth count differences between large and small chainrings for axs. Prior, a chainring shift was about three shifts in the back. Now it is about 2. So it is easier/faster to hit your desired gear post fd shift. Helpful as i prefer to do it manually.

In the end, i think i would be happy with ultegra di2, or force etap. Same for red vs dura ace. Given shimano will update soon, i would lean to di2 for better pricing. But the closer spacing, and better chainline of the 11t on a 12 speed is nice.

Given you have di2... i would not upgrade, unless i got a great deal on red/dura ace.
Last edited by: Rocket_racing: Oct 12, 19 6:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are switching I have both and like the shift quality of the Di2 better. I have both Etap on tri-bike and new Ultegra Di2 on the road bike I just built. You can not get a new 11sp Etap only the new AXS 12sp. I just completed the build on my road bike and was dead set on a Etap system but not sold on the new AXS. I think with all the options and features Di2 offers along the price being significantly less than the new AXS I went Di2. That said I put Etap 11sp on my tribike 3 years ago and absolutely love it, shifting with Di2 is smoother and faster not to mention the synco features.

Now if you are planning a 1x setup the new AXS force set up looks cool.
Quote Reply
Re: Switch to SRAM from Ultegra Di2? [mlyonsdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok thanks for the feedback....I am thinking it might be better to stay with what I have even if it is. Few years old.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Ultegra Di2 on my TT bike and eTap on my road bike. I think those are each breed for my respective uses of them. I would not want eTap on my TT bike. I absolutely love Di2 synchro shift on the TT bike. And, Di2 is easier to hide in a TT installation. And, I do not like the janky brake shifter button you would need for TT eTap. On the other hand, the road bike shifters are the absolute bomb for road riding. A zillion times better than Di2. And, on a road bike, the installation is 100% wire free.

So, if you are thinking of the swap on your road bike, I would vote in favor. But, if you are thinking eTap (or AXS) for a TT bike, then stick with Di2.
Quote Reply
Re: Switch to SRAM from Ultegra Di2? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I have Ultegra Di2 on my TT bike and eTap on my road bike. I think those are each breed for my respective uses of them. I would not want eTap on my TT bike. I absolutely love Di2 synchro shift on the TT bike. And, Di2 is easier to hide in a TT installation. And, I do not like the janky brake shifter button you would need for TT eTap. On the other hand, the road bike shifters are the absolute bomb for road riding. A zillion times better than Di2. And, on a road bike, the installation is 100% wire free.

So, if you are thinking of the swap on your road bike, I would vote in favor. But, if you are thinking eTap (or AXS) for a TT bike, then stick with Di2.

I am the opposite of you lol. I like the Di2 better for a road bike. I do like the shifitng sequence on the etap better for the tri-bike and more traditional shifting for the road bike. BUT the newer Di2 stuff can be programmed to shift like the E-tap which IMO is another benefit on the Di2 along with shift speed and quality.

I was able to hide the Etap pretty well on my Shiv and I thought it was a pretty easy install. After installed the Di2 on a new Tarmac I just built I think Etap will win everytime with ease of installation. I agree it would be nice to not have a bilp box on the Etap not sure what the new AXS set up has.

I agree about syncro shift I think it would be nice on a tri-bike but I have not found a good use for it on my road bike yet. I only have a few hundred miles on the Di2 bike at this point but several thousand on the etap tribike.

If you have Di2 6870 I believe you can upgrade to newer shifter and the 910 bar end junction box to get all the new features and a cleaner install on your current Di2. One feature I really like about the newer 8070 shifters is the buttons in the tops of the hoods that allow you to scroll through the screens on your wahoo or garmin. This was one thing that sold me on Di2 over etap for the road bike.

Here is the Tarmac Di2 I heat shrunk the one Di2 wire to the brake hose.

Last edited by: mlyonsdc: Oct 12, 19 7:32
Quote Reply
Re: Switch to SRAM from Ultegra Di2? [mlyonsdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mlyonsdc wrote:
BUT the newer Di2 stuff can be programmed to shift like the E-tap which IMO is another benefit on the Di2 along with shift speed and quality.

I agree it would be nice to not have a bilp box on the Etap not sure what the new AXS set up has.

One feature I really like about the newer 8070 shifters is the buttons in the tops of the hoods that allow you to scroll through the screens on your wahoo or garmin.
Many thoughts...
How did you program Di2 to behave like eTap? The one button per shifter & simultaneous FD shift is what I love most about eTap on a road bike. (And if I could, I would do that on my TT bike with Di2, but also use synchro.)

Hiding the blip box is the singular challenge on a TT bike. The AXS blip box is a little smaller, but it generally still has to be in the wind with 4 visible wires.

I do wish that eTap had the extra function buttons like Di2 on the road shifters. A buddy of mine with DI2 on his road bike uses that all the time.
Quote Reply