Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming to benefit running
Quote | Reply
So this year due to new arrival I have cut back from tri to focus on running, as I can get most of these in to and from work it allows me to maximize training and not taking out too much time from the family. The agreement with my coach was to keep in 2 swims a week to just keep my swim form in line in case I decided to do tri again. this was working quite well but, since the baby arrived 3 months ago I have had to cut down to one swim a week but since doing this I'm definitely on a downward slope in form and the swims have definitely become less enjoyable.

In the current plan I am maintaining around 70-80km running over 5/6 days a week which is about the limit on the legs at the moment. This is as 2 interval sessions, 1 tempo session, one long run with progressive pacing and the rest easy pace, plus 2-3 strength core sessions and one swim (around 2.5km).

So the question is, if just keeping one swim does not help me maintain my swim pace / technique, is it still beneficial to my running, in that it lets me have an aerobic session without too much impact on the body / legs?
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming to benefit running [msrixon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say yes.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having done this myself, I found that the aerobic benefits of swimming when essentially totally out of swim form (and not having a deep swim base to begin with) yielded essentially zero aerobic benefits for running when on a run-focus block with 1 swim/wk.

Swimming gave me a LOT of benefits when it was my focus and I was running 1-2x/wk - in that case, I could run 5ks almost as fast as my prime standalone run times since the race distance is small enough not to require huge leg-specific muscular endurance, and your limiter in a 5k is typically your VO2max O2 consumption and not the legs (and swimming can really hammer your VO2max.)

At 1 measly swim per week though, it yielded nothing for me. I couldn't swim hard enough to get the aerobic gain, and if I DID manage to push myself on that swim to actually get a good hard aerobic effort, it would cost me big time on my run training. I actually love using hard swimming when in shape to cut back on running and even biking due to the aerobic x-over.

I still like the idea of an moderate-easy swim 1-2x/wk for the sake of maintaining swim familiarity so its' a lot easier to get back to it, but I'd do it for the sake of swimming, not to improve running.

If you want something in the pool that will def help running, doing hard VO2max pool running intervals is definitely legit.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming to benefit running [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input.

Couldn't agree with you more. While i was still building up the run distance I had more time for swims they were much more enjoyable / beneficial also with full Ironman training on 4 swims a week. However, now I am just cutting down to 1 I feel that all I am getting out of my swim is some sore shoulders.

I have tried the aqua jogging but really never got on with it... Maybe I need a little more patience to try and get it right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
msrixon wrote:
So this year due to new arrival I have cut back from tri to focus on running, as I can get most of these in to and from work it allows me to maximize training and not taking out too much time from the family. The agreement with my coach was to keep in 2 swims a week to just keep my swim form in line in case I decided to do tri again. this was working quite well but, since the baby arrived 3 months ago I have had to cut down to one swim a week but since doing this I'm definitely on a downward slope in form and the swims have definitely become less enjoyable.

In the current plan I am maintaining around 70-80km running over 5/6 days a week which is about the limit on the legs at the moment. This is as 2 interval sessions, 1 tempo session, one long run with progressive pacing and the rest easy pace, plus 2-3 strength core sessions and one swim (around 2.5km).

So the question is, if just keeping one swim does not help me maintain my swim pace / technique, is it still beneficial to my running, in that it lets me have an aerobic session without too much impact on the body / legs?

I could maybe see some help with recovery, but I am not sure how much benefit one swim would give you in terms of overall fitness.

I'm not sure about how others go, but for me:
Running helps riding and swimming.
Swimming (a lot) helps my running & riding a little bit.
Riding does bugger all for running & swimming.

One swim a week would in essence do zero for me in the other sports; I'd probably get more frustrated than anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Percy Cerutty would want you to swim.

After a warmup, swim 25s, swim fartlek, swim as hard as you want and as you feel.

Leave the pool feeling refreshed/exhausted (your choice) as if you were a child and your mother/father had just told you to stop and come home.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply