Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming in place, how to measure distance swam
Quote | Reply
I am thinking of using my tiny pool to do some swimming with the help of some rope and bungee cord. Is there any way to measure distance or should I just go by time?
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming in place, how to measure distance swam [Pmswanepoel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just go by time. I was having the same thought for when it gets warmer. I am really missing the water!
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming in place, how to measure distance swam [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go by time and work on technique.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming in place, how to measure distance swam [Pmswanepoel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also going by time in my swims on the tether.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How would you measure distance?
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming in place, how to measure distance swam [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is what I’m asking, if it is possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you aren't moving, you can't measure distance moved.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming in place, how to measure distance swam [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea yea. I was wondering who would be ‘that guy’. Your noprize is in the mail.

At risk of seeming like I care, I thought there might be some hack, perhaps using the stroke count functionality of my Garmin or something. I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's an easy one.
Zero metres.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Time @ intensity.

When I use the tether I put rocks on the bottom of the pool to mark different intensities that roughly correspond the interval distances for a set of 20 on 20s rest. Eg

20x25scy (15s) or
20x50scy (20s). Or
20x100scy (20s) etc
10x200scy (20s)

Then I swim to hold even with the chosen rock for a set time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
duration & effort

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you’ve been swimming for a while you either presumably have a set of data about how fast you go for given types of workouts. For example, I know I typically hold about 1:40/100 for a 3,000-4,000 yard open water swim (70 min IM pace). I also know if I go on 1:45 I split about 1:20/100 for 10-20 100s. Obviously there is variation but if you go with a set of known averages for different workouts it will be good enough for now...

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply