Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming alternative...rowing vs S&C
Quote | Reply
Hi folks, the pools here in Scotland have been closed since the end of December and I'm about to start my long distance triathlon training plan for my A race in September. Up until now I've just been doing extra bike and run workouts, but with the plan about to start and weekly tss about to ramp up, I don't want to overdo it on the bike and run.
I'm thinking that instead of swimming I could either: a) do press ups, pull ups, planks and stretching, or b) get myself an indoor rower and work out my upper body that way or c) do both.
Which do you think would give me the best returns. Aims are to give my legs a break, keep up with the weekly tss targets & be as swim ready as I can be once the pools open.
Cheers in advance
Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming alternative...rowing vs S&C [Boomwhacker1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Using a rowing machine properly is not going to give your legs a break. So probably option 1 plus some swimming-style stretch cords?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

My advice (and most cost effective): Buy swim cords, teach yourself how to use them (plenty of YouTube videos) and get after it.

Starting last April, I have religiously used cords every week, 5-6 days a week... cumulatively for 3+ hrs a week. No pool during this time.

My N=1: I am not a great swimmer. I muscle my way around an IM course...but swim around a 1:05 pretty easily when get 3-4 days a week (3000 yards per) swim training in.

I got back in a pool two weeks ago, and can tell you that through swim bands/strength training...plus added benefit of being in better overall shape, I would put my swim fitness at more of a mid-season form (for me) vs. starting-out form...if I was just getting back in pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rowing is more of a replacement for running...

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Add the rowing machine for sure as it is full body workoUT from legs, through core, thru lats and shoulders. It will keep your upper body fit and you'll be able to ramp swim when you get outdoors. But you will need to cut back a bit on bike and run because it uses all of the same muscles. Add stretch chords for a swim specific strength workout, but you generally won't really get heart rate high for aerobic load on upper body. You just won't be using enough muscles to tax your heart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get some stretch cords, a pull up bar and if you don’t mind spending a little extra TRX. You’d be almost as good as you could get for swimming S&C.

Tim

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming alternative...rowing vs S&C [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My daughter loves swimming but we are going through lock downs. Would you say 11 is too young for cords? I know there are warnings about paddles at a young age so wondering if cords are the same?
Quote Reply