Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming - Euro Champ stupid rules
Quote | Reply
The Swimming European Championships have a new (I think) rule that says that only 2 swimmers per nation can be qualified for the semi-finals after the initial heats.
As a consequence, Alain Bernard with the 3rd fastest time in the heats of the 50m, in 21.13, and Gilot, 4th fastest in 21.21 end up not qualified because the 1st and 2nd fastest are also French (Leveaux and Bousquet).

I've seen stupid rules, but that one is pretty high on top. If 3 kenyans show up to the 3000m steeple, they can all make it to the final.

If you make it to the Champs, the only thing that should matter is that you swim the fastest times to make the semi and finals, not what your teammates swim...Good thing it's not at the worlds yet (I think) because with someone like Phelps, the US could only place one swimmer after him in lots of events.

Swimmers? Fla Jill? comments?
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming - Euro Champ stupid rules [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kind of dumb on one level, but it happens in a couple of other regional championship meets like PanPacs as well as a couple of the recent EC meets, and everyone knows the rulebook going in.

It's a compromise rule of sorts- the world-wide meets like WCs and Olympics say two individuals, and the meet management wants to run the event as close to an Olympic or WC sort of feel as possible, including two per country. The coaches and federations want to give up and coming swimmers a chance to get some experience at senior level international competitions and allowing extra swimmers for prelims is a cheap way of doing that. The smaller countries want to be able to say they got swimmers into finals sessions and don't want to be overrun by Germany, the UK, and France. And it's not a bad thing to set up a system where you've got to have a fast morning swim in order to make it back to finals- gets you ready for the next WCs or Olympics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Um... WTF mate?

Is there a reason/rationale behind why they did this?

I know the 3 to 2 switch in the Oly swim program 20 years ago was (i believe) in response to Kornelia Ender (70s), Kristin Otto (80s) and all the other women-beast that E.Ger was producing... in a way... they wanted at least another country on the podium.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming - Euro Champ stupid rules [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good points... i've just always viewed ECs as just a big duel meet. :)

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I often think it would be fun to have a championship (for Athletics for example) that goes the other way.... fastest in the world in each event regardless of nationality. I guess that's kind of what the IM world champs do compared to the ITU champs (putting on one side for a moment the difference in the levels of competitiveness of the different qualifiers)
Last edited by: tim_sleepless: Dec 11, 08 8:09
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming - Euro Champ stupid rules [tim_sleepless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In swimming NCAAs frequently ends up something like that. You don't have many Australians, and it's limited to college kids, but there are no restrictions on nationality, and if a team thinks they can get 6 different swimmers to score in an event, then they can enter 6 swimmers in that event. Also fun to see relays where the swimmers will go back and represent 3-4 different countries come recognized international meet time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe the rule should be that any country known for shortage of pools and swimming clubs who can produce the 4 fastest times in the 50 free heats should be kind enough to show the other ones how they did it...:))
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming - Euro Champ stupid rules [Andre Bennatan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is certainly not the situation in France. France has a lot of really nice swimming pools. The problem is: how do you swim if you want to swim by yourself and are not part of a swim team...then, indeed, good luck!
I'm going home in 3 days. In Versailles. There are 3 really nice 50m pools and numerous 25m pools in the area. But if I want to swim, it will be impossible...no lanes, people swimming all over etc. the only chance is to swim with a club/team.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming - Euro Champ stupid rules [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about out of the semi after swimming 46.02 for a 100m free???
Bernard out again...unbelievable and Leveaux who swims a new WR in 45.12...really curious to know how much the suit impacts the times...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it weren't for the suits, we would still be talking about Janet Evans as the world record holder in the 800.

Bob Sigerson
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming - Euro Champ stupid rules [sig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably since it's only 2.12 seconds faster than Evans' record.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That is certainly not the situation in France. France has a lot of really nice swimming pools. The problem is: how do you swim if you want to swim by yourself and are not part of a swim team...then, indeed, good luck!
I'm going home in 3 days. In Versailles. There are 3 really nice 50m pools and numerous 25m pools in the area. But if I want to swim, it will be impossible...no lanes, people swimming all over etc. the only chance is to swim with a club/team.
Amen to that! The public pools in France are great, but way too crowded. Is there any chance to swim as a "guest" with a Masters' program? I'll be in Saint Germain en Laye and Clermont-Ferrand frequently next year, and really need a good swimming option. The other complaint I have is that none of the pools open to the public until ~9am. Even though they're open relatively late, our meetings tend to run longer than I'd like. On the plus side, I'm looking forwad to running in the Foret de Saint Germain.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming - Euro Champ stupid rules [deh20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are numerous good pools in the area, and I still have a lot of contacts in that area. If you pm me, I'll refer you to the right people to talk to and get some swimming in. Running in the Foret de Saint-Germain-en-Laye is pretty neat...next week for me! :)
Quote Reply