Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Swim wearables that capture a workout file...
Quote | Reply
... for upload to TP or Strava. what will do this? import peripheral data sending units (e.g., HRM), and then export the file? and this would include the distance swum. laps probably best. laps x whatever distance you preprogram as a pool length. but, whatever. what does this? probably FORM goggles. as one example. what else?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Swim wearables that capture a workout file... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phlex will upload to Strava (not sure about TP)

Tritonwear has it's own app, but it's not really aimed at the Strava crowd.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you including watches (of which there are a ton that do this) or for things that are explicitly not watches?
Quote Reply
Re: Swim wearables that capture a workout file... [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
Are you including watches (of which there are a ton that do this) or for things that are explicitly not watches?

i'm including everything. so, for example, a swimovate watch would do it. and i would imagine a garmin 945 would do it. but, i'm naive to how the distance is calculated. and, whether (for example) intervals are tracked. but, i'm including everything, such as, electronics by finis, like the tempo trainer, and there's a new goggle finis has just come out with i think, or any of the headphone devices.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know for certain that every Garmin tri watch since the 910 does this. They have a lap swim specific watch as well (the aptly named Garmin Swim). Some of their earlier watches probably did two. You get length by length data on time, # of strokes (for your watch hand only) and even a guess at your stroke type. Not all of this is processed by Strava since I don't believe you can get the length by length breakdown. Only the interval times.

Most mainstream smart watches track pool swimming as well.

I'm pretty sure the Finis tempo trainer doesn't record anything. It's just a metronome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should add that DCrainmaker could probably query his database of reviews and get you a pretty compressive list quite quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin Swim, 945, & 745. Multiple (all?) Coros Apex watches. Polar Vantage M. Apple Watch Series 3 and up. New Suunto 7. I think the Suunto has a model, but I am not sure...

Edit: the list above are devices in which its integrated wrist HRM captures HR during swim. If a swim chest strap is sufficient, then as above, any Garmin after the 920 can do it. Non-Garmin devices like those above that use their integrated HRM.

Edit 2: Pretty much all modern watches will capture lengths, distance (via entered pool length), intervals, stroke type, stroke rate, etc.

Edit 3: The new Suunto 7 does wrist HR capture during the swim.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Nov 2, 20 11:49
Quote Reply
Re: Swim wearables that capture a workout file... [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Garmin Swim, 945, & 745. Multiple (all?) Coros Apex watches. Polar Vantage M. Apple Watch Series 3 and up. New Suunto 7.
I think the Suunto has a model, but I am not sure...

Edit: the list above are devices in which its integrated wrist HRM captures HR during swim. If a swim chest strap is sufficient, then as above, any Garmin after the 920 can do it. Non-Garmin devices like those above that use their integrated HRM.

Edit 2: Pretty much all modern watches will capture lengths, distance (via entered pool length), intervals, stroke type, stroke rate, etc.

Edit 3: The new Suunto 7 does wrist HR capture during the swim.

Yep...certainly from a Garmin point of view:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/swimming/cIntoSports-cSwimming-p1.html

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All Suunto watches do this
- ambit family
- spartan family
- suunto 3- suunto 5 - suunto 7 and - suunto 9.

These post data to over 140 different apps/tools. Also to trainingpeaks and strava.

Suunto 7 doesnt have compatibility with external sensors. Other devices do, i.e. If using hr belt with memory i.e. Under wetsuit (memory is there to store the hr data as the signal doesnt transmit in the water to watch)
The swim featureser differs in models a bit. I.e. Suunto 3/5/9 has pace clock and lap table views, all have automatic intervals (no need to press buttons). Suunto 7 can also be used with swim.com wear os app (offers ie. Swim plans).

—
Last edited by: JanneK: Nov 2, 20 12:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i'm naive to how the distance is calculated.

On the Garmins you set pool length. The accelerometers/gyroscopes detect turns and the stroke you are using. They can dtermine laps and from your setting determine distance. When doing drills things like kicking you have to specify the length you did since the accelerometers don't work in this situation.

You know your stroke is off when your Garmin thinks you are doing breaststroke during butterfly.
Last edited by: marcag: Nov 2, 20 12:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To expand on what we someone else wrote. POLAR Vantage (M, V V2 and the GritX) capture wrist HR as well as those swim metrics. Intervals can be via manual lap button press, or 'auto' as it detects when people (like me) are being a lazy ass at the pool end too and records that as 'rest' time. Can sync with a polar chest strap too for better HR than the wrist.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim wearables that capture a workout file... [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
You know your stroke is off when your Garmin thinks you are doing breaststroke during butterfly.
Truth. This is one of the easiest indicators that you have a janky stroke. It does not tell you what is wrong, but wrong stroke, missed, or extra lengths are very strong tells. When you have a clean stroke, Garmin will miscount a length or mix up stroke type like once a year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this is what you are asking, I don’t know that it is: I could easily game a Garmin to say I swam a 500 in 4:50. So a virtual race using the recorded swim would be dubious in my opinion.

( And the splits would look legit - no I am not talking about using the drill mode).
Quote Reply
Re: Swim wearables that capture a workout file... [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
If this is what you are asking, I don’t know that it is: I could easily game a Garmin to say I swam a 500 in 4:50. So a virtual race using the recorded swim would be dubious in my opinion.

( And the splits would look legit - no I am not talking about using the drill mode).

sure. you can game a zwift race as well. so, there's an element of honor required here. but, assuming you put the pool length as 25 yards instead of the actual length of 25 meters, or some such thing, that's my interest. of course garmin could sort of self-police the thing, couldn't it, with its GPS?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

sure. you can game a zwift race as well. so, there's an element of honor required here. but, assuming you put the pool length as 25 yards instead of the actual length of 25 meters, or some such thing, that's my interest. of course garmin could sort of self-police the thing, couldn't it, with its GPS?

Garmin doesn't turn on the GPS in pool swim mode.

Besides, Open water GPS sucks. GPS inside in a Natatorium (even if garmin enabled it) wouldn't likely be good enough to sort out 25 m vs. yds. It miiiiiiieeeeght work for 25 vs 50 (units omitted intentionally).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
garmin could sort of self-police the thing, couldn't it, with its GPS?
GPS is inop indoors. It might be possible in an outdoor pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Slowman wrote:

yeah. i guess that betrays the kinds of pools available to me. they put pools indoors?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i guess that betrays the kinds of pools available to me. they put pools indoors?
you live in another reality from regular people.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim wearables that capture a workout file... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since we're on the subject of swim wearables, if I could ask a question about wrist-based HR while swimming with the 945 - is it any good? I currently have a 935. The wrist-based HR when cycling or running is not very accurate for me so I use a chest strap. Wrist-based HR doesn't work at all on the 935 while swimming, so I use the swim HRM for that, but I hate that thing. it's always slipping or unclipping while I'm swimming. I primarily swim in my Fastlane unit at home, so capturing distance on the Garmin is out, but I'd like to at least be able to capture time and HR. Is the wrist-based HR while swimming any good on the 945? That would be the only reason I'd be looking to upgrade from the 935 (not looking for music or Garmin Pay or any of that stuff).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
exxxviii wrote:
Slowman wrote:

yeah. i guess that betrays the kinds of pools available to me. they put pools indoors?

They make pools that aren’t? ;-)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Swim wearables that capture a workout file... [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
Since we're on the subject of swim wearables, if I could ask a question about wrist-based HR while swimming with the 945 - is it any good? I currently have a 935. The wrist-based HR when cycling or running is not very accurate for me so I use a chest strap. Wrist-based HR doesn't work at all on the 935 while swimming, so I use the swim HRM for that, but I hate that thing. it's always slipping or unclipping while I'm swimming. I primarily swim in my Fastlane unit at home, so capturing distance on the Garmin is out, but I'd like to at least be able to capture time and HR. Is the wrist-based HR while swimming any good on the 945? That would be the only reason I'd be looking to upgrade from the 935 (not looking for music or Garmin Pay or any of that stuff).

A few things on HR measurement in the pool:
Not many devices will give you real time readings of your heart rate. Anything capturing it externally will often not broadcast it but save it and combine it with your data at the end of a workout. I have not used the Garmin 945, presume it would broadcast live, have heard it is OK, not stellar, but OK.

The Apple Watch (I have series 5) works very well tracking HR in the pool.

I have used the Form goggles with the Polar OH1 optical heart rate sensor. That sensor is great, but the Form goggles just don't do it for me. The optics in the pool are not ideal (not a very wide field of view, some distortion), have not tried them in the open water. In an ideal world we would have something that clips onto our preferred goggles rather than being stuck to one type of goggle.

In terms of apps etc.....there is an amazing app in beta at the moment for the Apple Watch that does stuff that no other watch/app etc can do at present. I have been using it for the last 3 months during its development and it is groundbreaking. I can't say more because of a NDA but when it comes to market soon it will offer some features never seen before (and likely never thought of before).
Quote Reply
Re: Swim wearables that capture a workout file... [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
wrist-based HR while swimming with the 945 - is it any good?
Yes, it is good. It is on par with my only other HR swim device- Apple Watch- and it matches RPE. It is an expensive upgrade from a 935, but it is really nice. It is one of my favorite surprise upgrade I received in years. That, and ClimbPro.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
marcag wrote:
Truth. This is one of the easiest indicators that you have a janky stroke. It does not tell you what is wrong, but wrong stroke, missed, or extra lengths are very strong tells. When you have a clean stroke, Garmin will miscount a length or mix up stroke type like once a year.

Is that in the Garmin connect app? I have the Fenix 5 and looked and only see things like pace and stroke rate. Mine always seems to be very inaccurate in terms of pace and average overall pace, but I never hit the lap buttons while swimming, just turn it on and then use the lap clocks at the pool for pace times.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim wearables that capture a workout file... [erik+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. My Garmin 945 (and past devices - fenix 5/6) has proven way more accurate in the pool compared to Polar (Vantage M/V) and all Suunto products in terms of length/lap counting and, hence, pace, etc. For whatever reason, Garmin is better at reacting/adjusting to my open turns and 'janky' swim stroke. (self-admitted mediocre swimmer)

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: Swim wearables that capture a workout file... [erik+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, both in the mobile app and website. If you go to the details tab in the app, turn your phone sideways to get more columnar data for each length.
Quote Reply

Prev Next