Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim training bands
Quote | Reply
Do the swim training bands, the ones you attach to a ladder or diving board in your backyard pool, really work?
Quote Reply
Re: Swim training bands [darin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They can nicely complement a regular swim training program, and they can let you get a decent workout in a 20 foot pool if that's all you have access to.

On the downside, it's hard to get real feedback on how your streamline is doing once you get out to full extension.

Quote Reply
Re: Swim training bands [Marlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Marlin...any idea which type might be better than the other? I've seen ankle attachments, hip attachments, etc.?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used them with much success since we only have a 10 yard pool. One thing to be careful of is your technique. If you have flaws in your stroke you'll be conditioning your muscles to remember this. Unclip yourself and do some stroke drills every now and then to be sure your stroke is smooth.

good luck,
Barry
Quote Reply
Re: Swim training bands [Barry S.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In high school and college we used the type that attach at the hip. Seemed to work fine. I wouldn't think that you would want them to attach to your feet as those should be moving at least for balance. Use them sparingly as many triathletes have a short stroke that would only be reinforced by the cords.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Darin, I started using them this summer when getting ready for IMLP. I did sets of 100's by knowing how many strokes per 100 and counting. I did this on a short RI. Another way I did them was as a speed work out. Knowing my "T" pace I just set my timer on my watch and swam at that intensity for that period of time. I found that the next time I did swim in the pool or open water I felt VERY fast and slick. I also used a pull buoy to help in body position to offset being pulled down from the bands.

What the mind can conceive and believe, the body will achieve.
Quote Reply