Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim temp for Muncie 70.3 this weekend?
Quote | Reply
Just curious if anyone has any info on the water temp in the reservoir? Been told it’s been too warm for wet suits the past few years, just curious about this year. Haven’t been able to find anything online.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Swim temp for Muncie 70.3 this weekend? [Quinny98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All I know is that the run will be hot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quinny98 wrote:
Just curious if anyone has any info on the water temp in the reservoir? Been told it’s been too warm for wet suits the past few years, just curious about this year. Haven’t been able to find anything online.

Thanks

Someone in the facebook group said water was already 81 degrees. 84 is cutoff to not allow wetsuits at all.

Eric Engel | http://www.ironmandiary.com
15% off INFINIT Nutrition w/ code: EENGEL-INFINIT
15% off AltRed w/ code: EENGEL-ALTRED
20% off AMP Human http://amphumanperformanc.refr.cc/ericengel
AP Racing "The Crew" | INFINIT Nutrition | AltRed | AMP Human
Quote Reply
Re: Swim temp for Muncie 70.3 this weekend? [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it in 2017. I think the road for the
run course had been freshly resurfaced with asphalt and it was searingly hot. I remember it being totally exposed with a lot of little rollers. The rollers were nice in that you could keep your momentum and roll right over the top without a lot of effort.

On the other hand, the swim will almost certainly be non wetsuit legal and it’s looking like wetsuits won’t be permitted at all if it gets mu her warmer.

turningscrews wrote:
All I know is that the run will be hot.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim temp for Muncie 70.3 this weekend? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait.... Are you saying people will actually have to swim?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s been warm here, and no rain in the forecast. I’d expect that temp to keep climbing.

Team Zoot - Great Lakes
Quote Reply
Re: Swim temp for Muncie 70.3 this weekend? [tjones2k9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up team. I’ll bring it just in case but I’ve been preparing to not wear it all year.
Overcast would be nice for the run. I’ve been told it’s wide open with no shade
Quote Reply
Re: Swim temp for Muncie 70.3 this weekend? [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did it in 2012 when they shortened it to an Olympic and had us swim in 88 degree water. Pretty gross, 10/10 would not recommend
Quote Reply
Re: Swim temp for Muncie 70.3 this weekend? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My pool was 81 degrees yesterday, I cramped bad! I can't imagine swimming in 88. I really like the Olympic course there in May and Sept but I don't know if I will ever sign up to do that race unless we get a forecast of like 70s and cloudy the week of the race then I might go for it last minute.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a reservoir, so different animal than a lake or pond.

I'm bringing full sleeve and a speed suit for my options.
Bring both race morning and just leave whatever I don't use in the transition bag.

Be ready for non-wetsuit.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: Swim temp for Muncie 70.3 this weekend? [TriJayhawkRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
82.5 this morning
Quote Reply
Re: Swim temp for Muncie 70.3 this weekend? [endurathonrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Swim temp for Muncie 70.3 this weekend? [TriJayhawkRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It has been pretty hot in Central Indiana!

I can see it getting to 84! In case it is already 81 I would not recommend a wet suit unless you want to cook like a turkey at Thanksgiving! Just saying
Quote Reply
Re: Swim temp for Muncie 70.3 this weekend? [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRugby wrote:
....... I can't imagine swimming in 88. .........

In North Carolina, I've done multiple races in 90+ degree water. Mostly sprints, but just sayin.........

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim temp for Muncie 70.3 this weekend? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
Did it in 2012 when they shortened it to an Olympic and had us swim in 88 degree water. Pretty gross, 10/10 would not recommend

That was a miserable weekend. It was in the hundreds the few days leading up to it and they were predicting high 90's. The lake was bath water. Everyone was ditching their caps 100 yards into the swim. Even with those conditions, people were whining when the decision to shorten it was made. The run was a death march.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim temp for Muncie 70.3 this weekend? [ziggie204] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People still ask me if I think I made the right decision to shorten it back then. I can't imagine how ugly things would have gotten if we didn't... That was the only race I've ever had someone swing at me at an athlete briefing! He was so upset I could do that to "him"!
Quote Reply
Re: Swim temp for Muncie 70.3 this weekend? [endurathonrd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the race that year and many others. I remember since it was shorter the effort was so much more intense albeit for a shorter time. I'm still iffy if it was the right decision but I do remember how hot (well past warm) that water was and also sweating pretty badly as I was just standing around in the wave staging area getting ready to start. I'm sure it completely sucked for the volunteers so you were probably right.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim temp for Muncie 70.3 this weekend? [Spoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
76.2F and they were allowed to wear wetsuits? WTF...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:

Huh? I was there and competed. Announced temp was 79.2 (I think) and it was wetsuit optional. So if you wanted to swim in that piss warm water with a wetsuit, you had to swim at the back and forfeit any awards.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim temp for Muncie 70.3 this weekend? [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. My buddy’s wife posted it was 76.2 and they could wear wetsuits. I saw a crap ton of people wearing them so I thought that’s what happened. I appreciate the clarification.

turningscrews wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

Huh? I was there and competed. Announced temp was 79.2 (I think) and it was wetsuit optional. So if you wanted to swim in that piss warm water with a wetsuit, you had to swim at the back and forfeit any awards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Thanks for the info. My buddy’s wife posted it was 76.2 and they could wear wetsuits. I saw a crap ton of people wearing them so I thought that’s what happened. I appreciate the clarification.

turningscrews wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

I bet they felt like sausages being boiled in their casings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quinny98 wrote:

Thanks

How was it?

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim temp for Muncie 70.3 this weekend? [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very hot lol. Water temp was 79 F on race day so it was wet suit optional. Like the poster said earlier, if you chose to wear a wet suit you were to start 5 minutes after last non wet suit swimmers. I was up in the 37 minute area so I didn’t see many people wearing them. I’m sure there was some. I was talking with a medic after the race and he said they pulled 24 people from the water. Nothing serious. No trips to the hospital. Just removed them for various reasons. It was like swimming in kiddie pool but it wasn’t horrible. The run however, was a different story lol
Quote Reply