Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim technique question (freestyle kicking)
Quote | Reply
Background: I'm a fine swimmer (when I'm fit, I can do 25 x 100, leaving on the 1:30).

Question: I do an unorthodox swim technique where I do my big kick on the same side that I extend my hand/arm. IOW, my right leg/foot is kicking at the same time that my right arm/hand is extending. That's the opposite of normal swimmers. Do I need to fix this?

I've tried to fix this in past. It was difficult to re-coordinate the rhythm of the stroke and, because I was not committed to it (I was not sure if it was necessary) I keep failing to fix it after multiple frustrated laps. Still, if I'm going to fix it, then now is the time to do it since I'm in the "getting back into pool after months of layoff and getting back into swim shape" phase when I'm not fit enough to do any hard efforts and I'm basically just swimming up and down the pool to build up endurance/strength.

???
Quote Reply
Re: Swim technique question (freestyle kicking) [TriFloyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriFloyd wrote:
Background: I'm a fine swimmer (when I'm fit, I can do 25 x 100, leaving on the 1:30).

Question: I do an unorthodox swim technique where I do my big kick on the same side that I extend my hand/arm. IOW, my right leg/foot is kicking at the same time that my right arm/hand is extending. That's the opposite of normal swimmers. Do I need to fix this?

I've tried to fix this in past. It was difficult to re-coordinate the rhythm of the stroke and, because I was not committed to it (I was not sure if it was necessary) I keep failing to fix it after multiple frustrated laps. Still, if I'm going to fix it, then now is the time to do it since I'm in the "getting back into pool after months of layoff and getting back into swim shape" phase when I'm not fit enough to do any hard efforts and I'm basically just swimming up and down the pool to build up endurance/strength.

???

have you had a video done? If it isn't causing problems, leave it alone. if you are experiencing issues, eg excessive sideways movement, then maybe work on it.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Swim technique question (freestyle kicking) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done a video, and I'm strongly leaning towards Brenton @ Effortless Swimming, since I watch [and get value from] so many of his Youtube videos. Still, I was thinking that fixing it will take a week of just fixing it (i.e., I can't work on pool fitness while re-tooling this kick coordination thing), and pre-season is the time to do it.

I don't think it's causing any sideways or balance issues. In fact, I'm pretty sure if I never told anyone, then no one would ever notice, although I might be underestimating the learned eye of a seasoned swim coach.

I did reach out to Brenton, but I wanted to good ST feedback, and I appreciate getting a seasoned swimmer's perspective. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Post a video if you can. If it's easy to fix try it and see if makes you swim faster. I watched Mark Allen kick his ankles together every time he swam, yet he could probably do a 16 min mile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep....need a video to be able to comment more.
There are lots of top swimmers with relatively unorthodox strokes/techniques. Not everyone fits into a certain type of mould. But hard to comment without seeing a video first.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Former college distance swimmer here.
I wouldn't focus so much on a big kick as I would a series of repetitive steady kicks. Doing a big kick creates an imbalance in the body that should be used infrequently (i.e. spotting, turning around a buoy, etc.). My advice is to start by doing laps kicking on your back, trying to keep your kicking as steady as possible. Then, when you incorporate that into your swim, focus on keeping a count to your strokes. I always did (and still do) a 6 kick/2 stroke ratio. But if you can keep your kicking consistent and even to your strokes, you should even out.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are remaining balanced and not “fishtailing” in the water, there’s no reason to suspect it’s detrimental.

I will ask: are you faster with a pull buoy than swimming?

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply