Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Swim skin = marketing??? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
TH3_FRB wrote:
That's the fastest thing you tested for swimming, and assuming that's an ITU style suit with no pockets. But what about the bigger picture of the entire race? Would the time you save with that sleeveless tri suit be chewed up by the time potentially lost by not wearing one of the more aero sleeved tri suits on the bike?

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
the fastest thing I tested was a rear zip sleeveless trisuit

It tested faster than the sleeved tri-suits. But again, not an apples-to-apples. The rear zip was a few uses old, the tri-suit was 9 month old and had quite a few races in it and I could feel the bottom of it flapping a bit during testing. It didn't test well swimming either. The other sleeved tri-suit was arguably one-size too big for optimal use on the bike but it was an LG suit. It also didn't test well swimming. The rear zip had no pockets, but I tested my old 2xu suit with pockets and it doesn't test slow in the water at all and it tested well in the wind tunnel for being well-used. It didn't beat brand new fitting super tight sleeved suits but I would have not expected it to.

As for other interactions go. In a pro race it is all about the swim, and the guys ride very hard early on which also doesn't mesh with two things:

1) I almost always swim above my pay grade in races, meaning I am a bit taxed on the bike, usually more taxed then the people I am coming out with.
2) My power profile is very flat. If you are going to pop me, pop me early. Riding too hard to early is a great way to extend me even further after already getting on the bike taxed. It hurts me more than others because my power profile is so flat.

Individual situations very, but believe me, as age-groupers walk into the food tent usually I am sitting there analyzing the fit of their tri suits. 9/10 it is too big.

By any chance was it a LG m-2 course?
Quote Reply

Prev Next