Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Swim at IM Texas [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
possibly going to be a banner day as far as weather....
Quote Reply
Re: Swim at IM Texas [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
possibly going to be a banner day as far as weather....

I deferred my 2018 registration to next year so everyone can bank on next year's water temp being 80 degrees and it being scorching hot outside.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aside from the non-wetsuit swim, last years race was pretty ideal. It got progressively cooler during the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And the plot thickens...still anyone’s guess, but Click2houston 10day forecast now has a cold front coming through on Friday to set up Saturday for a day pretty much identical to what we’re seeing today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Checked the water temp this morning at North Shore Park, showed to be 68. Don't want to jinx anything so that's all I will say.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim at IM Texas [I_Tri_4_Sanity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm probably among a half dozen people rooting for a wetsuit optional swim. I feel like that guy betting on the don't come at the craps table.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Swim at IM Texas [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
I'm probably among a half dozen people rooting for a wetsuit optional swim. I feel like that guy betting on the don't come at the craps table.

Actually I'm in that group as well, don't care for the restrictiveness of the wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:

Me too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I_Tri_4_Sanity wrote:
sch340 wrote:

Actually I'm in that group as well, don't care for the restrictiveness of the wetsuit.

Yea that, and if the water is near the borderline (~76), which is likely no matter what side it lands on, it just gets really hot in that thing for a 2.4 mile swim.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll take an extra hot swim in the wetsuit in exchange for the 3mins+ faster I'll go!! But will cope either way.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/nbrowne1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Water temp about 67 yesterday according to Tim's post on FB. Air temp in the mid-80's today and tomorrow but cools back down Th-F-Sat. Nighttime temps will continue to be in the 50's.

Zero chance this isn't wetsuit legal.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
near the borderline (~76), which is likely no matter what side it lands on

This may be the case, but the water has been around 68 in the mornings lately and the weather forecast isn't much different than it's been over the past 2 weeks or so. A couple days with temps into the 80's, but also followed by a few nights in the 50's. I think water comes in the low 70's.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim at IM Texas [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
71 Degrees at 7:10 this morning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting...where is that result from? The daily FB water temp feed has it just shy of 70 today (69ish +).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be surprised if we're not flirting with 76 on Thursday morning but think it'll come back down by Saturday given overnight temps.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim at IM Texas [Testament TN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Testament TN wrote:
Interesting...where is that result from? The daily FB water temp feed has it just shy of 70 today (69ish +).

Took it off the dock at North Shore Park at 710 this morning. I believe he takes the temp earlier in the morning.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim at IM Texas [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JustTooFarr wrote:
Just got into town looking for somewhere to swim in the coming week. I am a Y member but if anyone knows a good outdoor pool in the area as a North-easterner I would love to get in some laps with the sun on my shoulders.

there is no swimming in Lake Woodlands except race day correct?

There is a practice swim Friday morning at lake Woodlands but that's it.

You may look into the YMCA in Conroe, just a little way up 45. They have a nice outdoor lap pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:
Quote:
near the borderline (~76), which is likely no matter what side it lands on

This may be the case, but the water has been around 68 in the mornings lately and the weather forecast isn't much different than it's been over the past 2 weeks or so. A couple days with temps into the 80's, but also followed by a few nights in the 50's. I think water comes in the low 70's.

It changes fast... 75 degree water temp this morning (from Magnolia Masters FB)

86 degree air temps today so tomorrow will be even warmer

It's still likely wetsuit legal on race day given the Thurs/Fri forecast but it's teasing us a bit

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:

Ironman posted the temp as 73.8 this morning at one of the tables in the athlete check-in tent.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim at IM Texas [writhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
writhe wrote:
sch340 wrote:

Ironman posted the temp as 73.8 this morning at one of the tables in the athlete check-in tent.

Yea they are pretty good at finding the coldest spot in the lake...

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman also likely took the temperature earlier than Tim did.

I think this thing is a coin-flip. If it's 75 now it's going to be 77+ in 24 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim at IM Texas [IronStork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronStork wrote:
Ironman also likely took the temperature earlier than Tim did.

I think this thing is a coin-flip. If it's 75 now it's going to be 77+ in 24 hours.

I also think Ironman takes it a bit deeper. Tim is basically taking a surface temperature.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim at IM Texas [IronStork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

I think it will come in higher than 76 tomorrow morning. But then 2 nights in the low 60's with highs in the upper 70's will bring it back down to wetsuit legal by Saturday. The forecast keeps creeping up in temperature for Thursday and Friday. Not enough for me to think it won't be wetsuit legal. But enough that it'll be closer to borderline than I originally thought. At first, tomorrow and Friday didn't even look like air temps would break 76...at least for very long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happened to look up the magnolia masters page right as he was taking the live temps this morning. 71F. I'm going to say 100% wetsuit legal. unless forecast is just way off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100% going to be wetsuit legal. Temps today and tomorrow are forecasted to be cooler than the last couple of days.

Quote Reply

Prev Next