Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim Update: My 1st 4,000+ yard week (for those that helped)
Quote | Reply
Hey guys ...

A month or so ago I asked for advice on increasing my swimming distance. At the time I could only swim 150y continuous.

A few weeks later I swam 500y, then 700y. Then as January started, I started using Pigg's Tri Bundle (PC Coach) that I got for Xmas. I don't let my HR go over 150 (190 Max). My first time doing one of the workouts wearing a HRM in the water I swam 1500y, and it was easy (shockingly easy).

From that point 1500y became basically my "standard WO distance". I started swimming 3 times per week. This week I notched 4,298y (2.442mi) in 2:00:11 at an easy pace of "under 150" (usually around 142-144). I fell short of 4500y b/c I got to the pool late a couple of days and swam 40 min workouts instead of the scheduled 45 min.

Anyway, as it turns out (for me) the best advice was "slow down, and go long". Ironically my "go slow" speed results in a 100y time that is only a few seconds less than my "go fast" speed (on a 500m distance or longer).

I realise most here are master swimmers and experienced triathletes who likely view 1500y as a "light warmup", but I'm pretty excited about it ... I made it to 1500y in about 20 workouts (most of which were nothing but drill sets).

I may tease some folks about shaving legs (and you may tease me about hairy legs), but I wanted to voice my appreciation for the helpfullness than people have willingly displayed to someone they didn'y know (and can be too sarcastic for some tastes). Again, I may complain about the overpriced equipment and the bodyshaving, but I'll always boast about the comraderie (sp?) and helpful attitude amongst those that have an incredibly high threshold for boredom. =)

Thanks again. RyanB.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Update: My 1st 4,000+ yard week (for those that helped) [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BUT if you had shaved your legs.... sorry. Great job on the swimming I can appreciate as I started out at the same level ~ 18 months ago. I found Total Immersion very helpful, as well as being able to join a masters club this winter. If you ever get the chance for a swim clinic or a private lesson with underwater video and disection thereof I highly recommend. It's amazing what you think is OK till you see it on tape. As Terry Laughlin would say "Happy Laps"
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Update: My 1st 4,000+ yard week (for those that helped) [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey, thats awsome.. I remember when i first seriously started swimming, it was across my lake (only about 100m wide) and i did that every day gradually working my way up to swimming 5 or 6 times across, this was 4 or 5 years ago, and it took me a solid 30 min back then.. I didn't know anything about proper stroke biomechanics (rolling etc.. my limit was S-pull).. It has taken me since then with one and a half seasons(2nd one is still going on) of rather solid years of university swim team training to finally eliminated my cross over and achive decent body roll. I actually had a breakthrough week last week when my main set was 3*200 on 2.50.. and I was coming in on 2.35-2.40, and then 4*100 on 1.25 (coming in on 1.18's).. etc.. man was I pumped.. i was also finally being able pass most of the girls in the water, and it felt like my stroke was finally solid. I wish I had known about drills back then cause it would have saved me alot of trouble and time.
Once you have a solid stroke down... and don't get discouraged.. it can take awhile... you will make some fairly rapid speed gains quickly. See if you can get faster swimmers.. (ex club swimmers.. or really good masters swimmers) to critique your stroke and position in the water, I always ask coaches to look at me and tell me any improvements that I can make.
Keep up the drill sets.... good job!

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I realise most here are master swimmers and experienced triathletes who likely view 1500y as a "light warmup"
Hey, I did two IM's last year and I'd say 1500 was my average swim workout. I hate swimming in the pool. Probably one of the reasons I'm so slow. It just takes too damn long for me to do a 2500-3000 workout. I suck w/o a wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done! Now strive for 6,000, and every second week, do one interval session. It's basically a speed workout (all 1500 doesn't have to be fast) and will gradually help you speed up your avrage 100 pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why is there a triathlon question on a lifestyle forum?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Update: My 1st 4,000+ yard week (for those that helped) [WebSwim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too am new the sport of Tri. Have signed up for my 1st race in Junes 1/2 IM. How many time per week should I be swimming and yards per week. I am currently swimming twice a week, w/ about 3800 to 4200 yds.

What is a good time for a 1.2 mile swim? Please note that I just started swimming in December 2003 and No I do not use swimmies

"The age group winner is training. Are You?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great job! mix in some sets, it will make your swims much more interesting.

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Update: My 1st 4,000+ yard week (for those that helped) [Harry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
depends on where you want to get out of the water... 1.2 miles is about 1.9 km.. if you want to be near the top of the pack.. 30 min would be a good time.. middle of the pack.. 35-40 min.. back of the pack.. 40-50 min.
What kind of times are you making for your workouts? 1.25-1.30 min/100 meters is about 30 min, thats factoring some slowing for open water swimming. That should give you a good approximation of where you're going to come out of the water.
3800 to 4200 yards twice a week is pretty good.. I might increase that to three times a week.. or better yet.. see if you can join a swim club - or take some swim clinics, both of these are ways to take alot of time of your swim.

Good luck
Quote Reply