Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim TSS: TrainingPeaks vs WKO5
Quote | Reply
When I record swim workouts in TrainingPeaks, I simply record the total time and the distance, and the threshold pace is a set variable. I do not upload files, and total time is calculated as if I swam the estimated avg pace without stopping. This, according to TrainingPeaks own website, is the way to calculate swim TSS.

When WKO5 syncs with TrainingPeaks, though, even with the same swim threshold pace recorded, the swim TSS is off by a factor of 50%, always lower in WKO5.

I contacted TrainingPeaks and was told that the calculation of swim TSS, in general, is no accurate, despite the incredibly simple calculation on their own website stating differently. I was told that if I uploaded files from a watch, it would be different, but that by me recording only total time and distance, the calculation can not be made accurately. I was told I need to babysit WKO and manually update all of the swim TSS's in WKO.

This thread is not a discussion of the merit of swim TSS.

Further, WKO calculates bike TSS differently, weighting rest/coasting more than TrainingPeaks, and even though the two sync, it is unidirectional so that TrainingPeaks bike TSS will nearly always be lower than WKO5. At this point, I think it's simplest to just ask for a refund of WKO5...

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Swim TSS: TrainingPeaks vs WKO5 [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
This thread is not a discussion of the merit of swim TSS.

Ok? So is this thread just a PSA, or....was there some discussion you are looking to engage in?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When training peaks calculates my Swim TSS I ignore it, and that has worked pretty well for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IIRC, wko5 takes into account rest where TP doesn’t. But I’m not sure how that would apply to your situation with manually uploading. I’d have to dig through their help files. Wko5 has a good fb page for users to ask questions for help.

Me personally, I much prefer wko5 over TP.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Swim TSS: TrainingPeaks vs WKO5 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
IIRC, wko5 takes into account rest where TP doesn’t. But I’m not sure how that would apply to your situation with manually uploading. I’d have to dig through their help files. Wko5 has a good fb page for users to ask questions for help.

Thanks Steve - I have explored the help forums and no luck. I too like WKO, though it can take a while to customize and code for customized charts. Do you use your watch, then, while swimming? That’s hard to do coming from a swim background.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
stevej wrote:

Thanks Steve - I have explored the help forums and no luck. I too like WKO, though it can take a while to customize and code for customized charts. Do you use your watch, then, while swimming? That’s hard to do coming from a swim background.

I do use a watch when I swim. The lafitness I swim at doesn’t have a pace clock so I started using a watch years ago. It’s annoying at times but I have become used to it.

I haven’t done any customized charts. I honestly don’t have the time or patience to do it (plus some of it is over my head). The standard charts they have are good enough for me right now. I prefer the tss, CTL, atl, TSB calculations in wko5 than tp. TP is too sensitive on volume. My numbers in TP sky rocket disproportionately when I transition from 70.3 training to Ironman. Yes I’m accumulating more “load” in Ironman training but I think the numbers are a bit amplified with the added volume.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again for the feedback. Any best practices you use when swimming with a Garmin? Autopause or let the time just run and hit stop at the end?

TrainingPeaks identified the issue. IF is calculated different in TP and WKO5, so even when manually entering only total time and avg pace, the IF is different across the platforms. I'll try wearing my 945 while swimming.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tried using the Garmin 945 in the pool this AM.

I used auto rest on my Garmin today. As I've experienced in the past, Garmin gets most distances wrong by 25y due to missing smooth flipturns. In TP, the sTSS is 86 but it is 49 in WKO5: https://www.strava.com/...ies/4141662359#kudos

WKO may be better in some ways, but I just don't want to babysit the software.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve never tried auto pause. I hit the lap button at the end of each interval and at the start of each interval. I use drill mode for the intervals when I’m kicking, sculling, or anything that doesn’t include using both arms. It’s a bit annoying at first, especially if you are on short rest intervals. I’ll get the correct distance 98-99% of time. I usually shorts me 25 yards when I’m doing super fast stuff or backstroke (I spend a lot of time under water).

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I’ve never tried auto pause. I hit the lap button at the end of each interval and at the start of each interval. I use drill mode for the intervals when I’m kicking, sculling, or anything that doesn’t include using both arms. It’s a bit annoying at first, especially if you are on short rest intervals. I’ll get the correct distance 98-99% of time. I usually shorts me 25 yards when I’m doing super fast stuff or backstroke (I spend a lot of time under water).

Thanks. And yep, it's only on faster stuff it cuts off or adds on 25y, but I was impressed today with the auto rest feature. What do you think of WKO5 sTSS based on your watch?

Quote Reply