Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim Streaking (Edit...This Has Nothing to do with Nakedness)
Quote | Reply
The list of my swimming deficiencies is long and distinguished. That's been well documented.

On a plane for business travel, I was reading the latest issue of Runner's World and there was a full section on Run Streaks. Many people came to love running through streaking and ultimately became better runners. The duration of each run was at least a mile.

So, I was thinking maybe that's my entry to swimming better.

Ground rules:
  1. Assume I am willing to deal with the annoying parts outside of swimming like driving to the pool, dealing with awful hours. And, further, I am willing to drive 30 minutes for a very short workout.
  2. Assume my usual workout is 2500 yards +/- twice a week.
  3. Assume I will not find 7 shorter weekly trips to the pool as burdensome, but I cannot, under any circumstance, motivate myself to swim 3 or 4 legit weekly workouts. Two is my limit.

Given the above, what distance would you say qualifies me for the "streak". A mile running seemed reasonable to me for a running streak so _____ yards is reasonable for a swimming streak.

Award yourself 300 internet points if when you read the opening line of his post, "The list of my swimming deficiencies is long and distinguished..." you finished that line in your head.
Last edited by: DJRed: Jun 27, 19 15:08
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Streaking [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd just go by time to stay consistent with the run streak. So, if it takes you ~8 minutes to run an easy mile, and ~8 minutes to swim an easy 500m, make 500m your minimum swim to keep the streak alive. (Adjust accordingly for your own paces.)

* There's no way in hell I'd invest that much time (drive, change, shower, etc.) to swim 500m, but you said you'd be willing, so...

Steve

"If you ain't first, you're last." Reese Bobby Talladega Nights
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, so I gotta admit. When I saw the title of this thread, my first thought was "streaking" like when a fan runs across the baseball field naked at an MLB game. And I chuckled to myself thinking about some yahoo wearing nothing but fins and "streaking" through a triathlon swim field.

I realize this was not the intention of the thread, but it's still making me smile a little at the thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Streaking [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The_Mickstar wrote:

* There's no way in hell I'd invest that much time (drive, change, shower, etc.) to swim 500m, but you said you'd be willing, so...

This x100. Where I swim, it's pay per visit as well. I'm not paying $3 for anything less than 30 minutes.
Last edited by: mgreer: Jun 27, 19 11:13
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Streaking [trislayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was really hoping it was going to be about deck change fails
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was listening to a swim coach about motivation to get to the pool and he said just tell yourself you’re only going to do 500 yards. So that seems like a minimum to me. My pool shuts down for a random day every couple of months for some various maintenance issue, so build in an ‘out of your control day’ in your streak, or swim in the hot tub.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps it reveals my age, but . . . to me, the title ("streaking") practically guaranteed a discussion of public nudity.

Now I know it only means I'm OCD enough to never miss a workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Streaking [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
I'm not paying $3 for anything less than 30 minutes.

This could REALLY be construed the wrong way....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Streaking [trislayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto! :)

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Streaking [The_Mickstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The_Mickstar wrote:
I'd just go by time to stay consistent with the run streak. So, if it takes you ~8 minutes to run an easy mile, and ~8 minutes to swim an easy 500m, make 500m your minimum swim to keep the streak alive. (Adjust accordingly for your own paces.)

This makes sense. Unfortunately, my easy mile is about 8 min, but my easy 500m is about 11 min.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Streaking [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
The_Mickstar wrote:

This x100. Where I swim, it's pay per visit as well. I'm not paying $3 for anything less than 30 minutes.

I get that, but I pay for a monthly family membership and 500m to me is a workout. Not because it taxes me physically, but I just hate swimming so much that I dread every minute of it. But, despite my hate for swimming, I love triathlon so I don't want to abandon it.

The people in the RW article talked about not liking running but as they did it more and more, they found it enjoyable. Then, they found their mile run turned into 3, 4, maybe even 10 miles. I'm basically trying to chart the same swimming course. If I can learn to enjoy the quick hit, over time maybe I can learn to enjoy 3-4000 yards a few times a week, which is what I know I need to improve.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
The_Mickstar wrote:

This makes sense. Unfortunately, my easy mile is about 8 min, but my easy 500m is about 11 min.

Make it 450 yds then, or 400 m if in a meters pool. The WRs for 400 m LCM and the mile are both around 3:40-42; WR for 400 scm is a bit quicker at 3:32 but close enough for your purposes. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply