Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim GPS and lap counter
Quote | Reply
My 910xt finally drank some water and I need to find a new computer. I mostly use it for swimming any more, as I have a dedicated bike computer and use the Strava phone app for running.

I'm looking for a good swim computer that I can use for both OWS and lap swimming. It should load to Strava and Training Peaks without any additional steps. While I've been moving away from the Garmin landscape, if the 920XT is the next step I'm willing to go that route.

Please give me suggestions! Thanks!

---
Quote Reply
Re: Swim GPS and lap counter [MonkeyClaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy this. So cool not to have to stop to look at watch

https://www.platysens.com/marlin/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 735XT is pretty tough to beat for value right now. It is currently $280 on a number of sites. It tracks swimming flawlessly. And, you have a full multisport device if you need it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They track lengths, not laps, I think? (-;

When someone finds one that is flawless, please let us know. And by that I mean, it tracks every lap, time, and all four strokes...
Quote Reply
Re: Swim GPS and lap counter [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up ordering the 945xt. It’s ridiculously expensive and way overkill for what I want, but I was happy with the 910xt for a long time and maybe I’ll find the additional functions useful. Most likely I’m wasting $500 though...

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you even click link I provided? If so why did you decide against it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did look at it. It looks really cool, but overkill for the amount of swimming I do. If I lived in a place where I could do more open water swimming (I’m based out of northern AZ) or I did more swimming (just started back up after a multi-year lay-off) it would be awesome.

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MonkeyClaw wrote:
I did look at it. It looks really cool, but overkill for the amount of swimming I do. If I lived in a place where I could do more open water swimming (I’m based out of northern AZ) or I did more swimming (just started back up after a multi-year lay-off) it would be awesome.

You know it's for pool swimming too? And pool only model is just $30 cheaper. Could have Marlin + bike/run watch for less than the all in one.. plus relying on one watch is risky, especially for slow 140.6 folk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
MonkeyClaw wrote:

You know it's for pool swimming too? And pool only model is just $30 cheaper. Could have Marlin + bike/run watch for less than the all in one.. plus relying on one watch is risky, especially for slow 140.6 folk

Yup, like I said it looks really cool and I would have splurged for the GPS model (it's only $30 more!) if I were to buy one. Unfortunately I don't know how much use it will get when my current project ends and I'm back home in AZ. I don't even have a pool membership there. The 910xt was also useful for running and biking until I got a dedicated bike computer. The 945xt can be useful for running and other activities. I'm also intrigued by the metrics it tracks, but I won't be surprised if they are like a new toy that I lose interest in after a short time.

My days of 140.6s are done or delayed with my now 3-yo son taking up a majority of my free time. The occasional MTB marathon race is about all I can muster these days.

---
Quote Reply