Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim 80km in 24 hrs
Quote | Reply
https://swimswam.com/...two-aachen-athletes/

That's a little faster than 2:00/100 over a 25m pool, including breaks. Amazing!

A few observations:
1) the duo didn't use a dedicated pool for their attempt: it looked like open rec swim and squad practice in some of the shots.
2) if that's the case, I can't imagine that the pool temp was agreeable for such a long swim in a public pool. We all know that public pools can be too warm.
3) people actually know how to share lanes, pass each other, and swim circles. IT'S POSSIBLE, PEOPLE!
4) lots of nutrition at one end of the pool.
5) 24 hours, swimming in Swedish goggles, when there are so many goggles out there that are more comfortable, leak-proof, anti-fog, and generally, more high-performance. Poor woman has no idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim 80km in 24 hrs [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I couldn't swim 80km in 24 days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
some of us like swede goggles ;)

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Swim 80km in 24 hrs [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was trying to be snarky. I wear Swedish goggles and can't understand paying more for something that will fall far short.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
https://swimswam.com/german-record-for-24-hour-swim-set-by-two-aachen-athletes/
That's a little faster than 2:00/100 over a 25m pool, including breaks. Amazing!
A few observations:
1) the duo didn't use a dedicated pool for their attempt: it looked like open rec swim and squad practice in some of the shots.
2) if that's the case, I can't imagine that the pool temp was agreeable for such a long swim in a public pool. We all know that public pools can be too warm.
3) people actually know how to share lanes, pass each other, and swim circles. IT'S POSSIBLE, PEOPLE!
4) lots of nutrition at one end of the pool.
5) 24 hours, swimming in Swedish goggles, when there are so many goggles out there that are more comfortable, leak-proof, anti-fog, and generally, more high-performance. Poor woman has no idea.

Actually, 80,000 m in 24 hrs isn't just a little faster than 2:00, as it works out to 1:48/100 m with no rest, and i wouldn't call 12 sec/100 "just a little". But really that part does not matter b/c, from watching the video of their last 100 m, they went around 1:18 with no effort at all. So, this was prob just one long series of 100s on the 1:30 with the occasional bathroom break when need to avoid releasing any brown stuff in the pool. I feel fairly certain they peed in the pool whenever needed. Also, they had a big plate of donuts and pastries for fuel: i've always argued that you can eat almost anything you want if you're training a lot. I doubt they bothered with any celery:)

Great video and story, thanks for posting. JOOC, which section of swimswam did you find that article/video under??? Swimswam has sooooo many diff categories it's hard to keep up:)

Also, regarding the excellent circle swimming observed in the video, i've heard that circling is pretty much standard procedure in Europe.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Swim 80km in 24 hrs [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found it on the front page of http://www.swimswam.com.

I've been pretty fascinated with the idea most of the day. I figured out the part about it being 1:48/100m, and thought about how that would be relatable to the average ST follower/non-fish. I did 100x100scm two weeks ago, with no interval over 1:30, with a few nutrition breaks that lasted about a minute. A few years ago, I trained for a ~12mile/19k swim by doing a few 14,000y swims, which took about 3 hrs.

I thought about the execution of race DAY today. I think I could hold 1:40s, to allow for breaks every couple of hours. I'd have to get pretty far ahead to allow for the inevitable break-downs. I'd have to train for the monotony, to get my nutrition right, to see what happens after 6-7 hrs, and mostly, to try to HOLD BACK in th first few 100s extending into the first few hours. I don't know if I'd want to train more than 4 hours, but I'd have to.

I'm also thinking about USMS Nationals in the spring. If I did this event before then, and I'd have to because of the scheduling in the 25m pool, I'd have no speed for nationals.
Last edited by: 140triguy: Jan 16, 16 20:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
I found it on the front page of http://www.swimswam.com.
I've been pretty fascinated with the idea most of the day. I figured out the part about it being 1:48/100m, and thought about how that would be relatable to the average ST follower/non-fish. I did 100x100scm two weeks ago, with no interval over 1:30, with a few nutrition breaks that lasted about a minute. A few years ago, I trained for a ~12mile/19k swim by doing a few 14,000y swims, which took about 3 hrs.
I thought about the execution of race DAY today. I think I could hold 1:40s, to allow for breaks every couple of hours. I'd have to get pretty far ahead to allow for the inevitable break-downs. I'd have to train for the monotony, to get my nutrition right, to see what happens after 6-7 hrs, and mostly, to try to HOLD BACK in th first few 100s extending into the first few hours. I don't know if I'd want to train more than 4 hours, but I'd have to.
I'm also thinking about USMS Nationals in the spring. If I did this event before then, and I'd have to because of the scheduling in the 25 m pool, I'd have no speed for nationals.

Ya, i'd say a 24-hr swim would leave you wiped out for at least 4-6 weeks. You could always do it in a 25-yd pool though, if you wanted to, after the spring nationals but well before summer long course nationals. Or, do you want to see if you can match or exceed the 80,000 meters exactly??? I'd say 88,000 yd in the scy pool would be pretty much even:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was a dedicated pool. It was a 24hr swim meet. Looks like they had an electronic leaderboard for the swim, I'm guessing it had to be manual entry since they were sharing lanes.

Unlikely that they did it as 100's, it's more likely 400's or longer. That gives more time for proper breaks to eat, answer the call of nature, etc.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I can try when the yards pool is converted to long course for the summer. 79-80 degree water would be great. What allowances would I get for fewer turns? I'd have to do lots of core strengthening before then to keep my back working without as many opportunities to stretch during turns.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
Maybe I can try when the yards pool is converted to long course for the summer. 79-80 degree water would be great. What allowances would I get for fewer turns? I'd have to do lots of core strengthening before then to keep my back working without as many opportunities to stretch during turns.

If we assume that you'd be about 1 sec per turn faster in the 25 m pool, then you'd be about 1 sec slower in the 50 m pool. 80,000 m/25 m/length = 3200 lengths/2 = 1600 in 50 m pool. Thus you'd be about 1600 sec slower, or about 26:40, so i'd give you 24:26:40 to do the 80,000 m in the 50 m pool:)

Is your pool open 24/7??? One of my pools is but my fav pool is not, so i'd prob have to pay for a guard to stay with me overnight, but really i think the 10,000 m swim this summer will be enough for me:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shhh. Don't tell anyone I'm doing this. I'm the director of the pools. I have the keys. The place is closed Sunday, but I came in today for 8275m in the scm pool. It's usually very warm for water exercise classes and therapy, but I backwash it on Fridays and leave the heater off until I swim on Sunday. I also add a bunch of pipe water (coming in at ~55, but it was still too warm today. The 25y X 50m pool is yards now, and 79-80, but too keep it quiet, I go to the scm pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
Shhh. Don't tell anyone I'm doing this. I'm the director of the pools. I have the keys. The place is closed Sunday, but I came in today for 8275m in the scm pool. It's usually very warm for water exercise classes and therapy, but I backwash it on Fridays and leave the heater off until I swim on Sunday. I also add a bunch of pipe water (coming in at ~55, but it was still too warm today. The 25y X 50m pool is yards now, and 79-80, but too keep it quiet, I go to the scm pool.

Hmmm, 8275 scm = about 9200 scy, which is pretty long workout. All free, or did you mix in other strokes and kicking??? How long, prob 2:05-2:20-ish for you, depending on how much non-free you did:)

And, what do you mean by to "keep it quiet"??? How is the scm pool "quieter" than the 25 x 50 m pool???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was all free. I tried to keep the pace slow and even. The first 4000 was 8 x 500 @ 7:30, most about 7:20-27. Break for some sports beans and water, then a 25 easy kick. Then, 4 x 1000, and those were about 15:10-:20 or so. Then 2 x 100 @ 1:40, checking to see if I'd feel okay doing that pace at the end of some crazy event like a 24 hour swim. Cool-down was 25 kick, 25 swim.

Both pools were quiet, because the place was closed for the day. I just wanted to swim meters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
It was all free. I tried to keep the pace slow and even. The first 4000 was 8 x 500 @ 7:30, most about 7:20-27. Break for some sports beans and water, then a 25 easy kick. Then, 4 x 1000, and those were about 15:10-:20 or so. Then 2 x 100 @ 1:40, checking to see if I'd feel okay doing that pace at the end of some crazy event like a 24 hour swim. Cool-down was 25 kick, 25 swim.
Both pools were quiet, because the place was closed for the day. I just wanted to swim meters.

Wow, that's a lot of freestyle, you're really serious about this 24-hr swim!!! Are you going to have someone there with you during the whole 24 hrs to record your basic splits to document your swim??? And then of course you'll need to post on ST for commentary:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cannot imagine how bored I would be at the end of 10km. 80km would have taken some serious mood altering drugs.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just for fun I though how I would do this:

80 x 200s on 3:05 (probably do backstroke on the last lap for all of them). 4:10 am

20 minute break with no sold foods 4:30 am

60 x 200s on 3:05 7:25 am

15 min break no solid food 7:40 am

60 x 200s on 3:05 10:45 am

Rest for a little less than 2 hours and do it again but bump it up to 3:10. Should be able to squeeze in an extra 200 just before midnight to get it to 80,200
Quote Reply
Re: Swim 80km in 24 hrs [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This looks well thought-out, though maybe you have to look at the schedule of your first set of 60 x 200's: wouldn't that end at about 7:35? That pushes your 15 minute break to end at 7:50, then the next set of 200's ending nearer to 11am. I like the 2 hour break deal, though. Dry off, lie down, get some solids in, get warm, and nap...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
This looks well thought-out, though maybe you have to look at the schedule of your first set of 60 x 200's: wouldn't that end at about 7:35? That pushes your 15 minute break to end at 7:50, then the next set of 200's ending nearer to 11am. I like the 2 hour break deal, though. Dry off, lie down, get some solids in, get warm, and nap...

I don't know an, i don't think i'd take more than a 5-10 min break any time, just so i'd have a time "cushion" at the end in case you really started slowing down. I would think it would be really hard to get going again after a 2-hr break:)

Quote Reply