Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim (and bike) nightmare
Quote | Reply
I just did my first triathlon in 5 years (sprint) and it was a disaster.

The swim was a beach start into a lake, I thought I'd be slower than most so put myself at the back so as not to get swum over. Unfortunately i found myself surrounded by breaststrokers that I couldn't pass, then everything came to a standstill around the first buoy and everyone was treading water in a traffic jam (never seen anything like it). So I was getting stressed, add to that my wetsuit is now too tight as I'm not as skinny as 5 years ago, but I thought I could make it work - result of these two situations combined, I couldn't get into my stroke, I couldn't breathe and I think I had a mild panic attack.

I ended up hanging onto the rescue boat honestly thinking I couldn't continue. Absolutely mortified. Only shame made me get a grip and carry on. I actually finished the swim with my wetsuit unzipped.

Then to make matters worse, they were using really massively thick timing chips (also never seen anything like it) and I had to take it off to get my wetsuit leg off. Half way through bike lap 1 - you guessed it, I realised it was still in transition. F@ÂŁk Sake!! I actually sobbed.

So, my final finish time amazingly was actually around what I expected, as I was so pissed off on the bike that I had the hammer down. But now my confidence is absolute in tatters. I wanted to try a 70.3 next year, now I don't even know if I could face another sprint.

How can I train to avoid swim panic?
Quote Reply
Re: Swim (and bike) nightmare [Island] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having also had a panic attack during the swim when my wetsuit was too tight, the first thing I would do if I were you would be to get a wetsuit that fits. The second thing I would do is swim in it a lot.

Quote Reply
Re: Swim (and bike) nightmare [tristorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tristorm wrote:
Having also had a panic attack during the swim when my wetsuit was too tight, the first thing I would do if I were you would be to get a wetsuit that fits. The second thing I would do is swim in it a lot.

Yes that would definitely be a sensible starting point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely looking for races with rolling starts now!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first tri i was a breast stroke swimmer that got overswum (or is it overswam) by the entire field. I thought i was drowning. I didn't panic, but it wasn't pleasant either.

Island wrote:

I'm not an expert, but i'd say:

1) Get suitable gear and train in it. Never use anything in a race that you haven't trained with several times before.

2) Find a tri club that does open water swims. When temperatures allow, i do 2 pool sessions and one OW session a week with my tri club. In OW we train beach starts, water starts, rounding buoys, navigation, et cetera. This might help you get the confidence you need.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim (and bike) nightmare [Remco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Remco wrote:
My first tri i was a breast stroke swimmer that got overswum (or is it overswam) by the entire field. I thought i was drowning. I didn't panic, but it wasn't pleasant either.

Island wrote:

I'm not an expert, but i'd say:

1) Get suitable gear and train in it. Never use anything in a race that you haven't trained with several times before.

2) Find a tri club that does open water swims. When temperatures allow, i do 2 pool sessions and one OW session a week with my tri club. In OW we train beach starts, water starts, rounding buoys, navigation, et cetera. This might help you get the confidence you need.

Yeah, I wasn’t about to swim over anyone as that’s horrific - but getting kicked in all directions is not so great either.

Unfortunately I live in a remote area with no tri club, so not an option unfortunately!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did an oly yday … wearing a new wetsuit that seemed too big … was first time I haven’t had any anxiety in a race in years.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Swim (and bike) nightmare [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
I did an oly yday … wearing a new wetsuit that seemed too big … was first time I haven’t had any anxiety in a race in years.

I’m definitely ditching the “your wetsuit should be super tight” theory!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Island wrote:

Another thing that I found helped me is to just swim off to the side if there is a pack. Yes, maybe I'll swim 50-100 yards more than some others, but being able to swim without being punched or kicked, sight properly, and get into a a rythm, more than makes up for that extra bit of distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:

Rose City?

I did that Oly today and first time with a TT start. Gotta say, I much prefer it. You start spread out like you usually are about 200m into the swim. Downside is passing and being passed on the bike with no real idea where you stand in your AG.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim (and bike) nightmare [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
ericlambi wrote:

Rose City?

I did that Oly today and first time with a TT start. Gotta say, I much prefer it. You start spread out like you usually are about 200m into the swim. Downside is passing and being passed on the bike with no real idea where you stand in your AG.

It was Lake Sunapee Tri in NH. It also had a time trial start, which did help.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Durhamskier wrote:
ericlambi wrote:

Rose City?

It was Lake Sunapee Tri in NH. It also had a time trial start, which did help.

Absolutely! For the OP if that's an option for you, it's worth finding those races. I 100% don't miss the chaos of the mass start. Last weekend was a wave start of about 30 people in a sprint, which was also pretty nice. It's either that, or follow my strategy of starting SUPER WIDE. The extra distance is worth the decreased aggravation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely up for rolling starts. Sounds way better. And I never know who is in my age group later in race anyway. If anyone can suggest European races that are rolling starts that would be awesome! :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Island wrote:
And I never know who is in my age group later in race anyway.

In the end I had to just let the chips fall where they may, and race my own race.

Good luck finding one! I'll be keeping an eye out for some in Canada next year for sure!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2c : apart from the swimsuit being too tight, I had 5 or 6 panic attacks during the swim in the last 15 years. The 2 common points EVERY TIME it happened were :
1. No swim warm-up
2. Starting too fast and/or trying to overtake slower swimmers early in the swim
As you unfortunately can't always warm up in the water, I try to do some land warm-up including push-ups, as it is important to have your heart rate go up before you swim. And then of course start relaxed.
Last edited by: soll: Sep 19, 21 14:01
Quote Reply
Re: Swim (and bike) nightmare [mario.niepel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mario.niepel wrote:
Island wrote:

Another thing that I found helped me is to just swim off to the side if there is a pack. Yes, maybe I'll swim 50-100 yards more than some others, but being able to swim without being punched or kicked, sight properly, and get into a a rythm, more than makes up for that extra bit of distance.

^^^^^This.
Also swim wide around the buoys (5m radius). Everyone crowds the buoys, and lots of slow breast to sight the next buoy.

I'm always amazed how many REALLY slow swimmers there are. I once did a race only being able to use one arm (hit by an SUV two weeks prior), so I went at the back of the last wave so as not to get in anyone's way. Big mistake, I was constantly passing folks and working through crowds. Should have just started in my wave and off to the side.

BTW, congratz on your first tri in 5yrs. Yes, it was a little rough, but you did it and things will only get easier.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Swim (and bike) nightmare [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
mario.niepel wrote:
Island wrote:

^^^^^This.
Also swim wide around the buoys (5m radius). Everyone crowds the buoys, and lots of slow breast to sight the next buoy.

I'm always amazed how many REALLY slow swimmers there are. I once did a race only being able to use one arm (hit by an SUV two weeks prior), so I went at the back of the last wave so as not to get in anyone's way. Big mistake, I was constantly passing folks and working through crowds. Should have just started in my wave and off to the side.

BTW, congratz on your first tri in 5yrs. Yes, it was a little rough, but you did it and things will only get easier.

Yep, I’ve always gone wide in the past. Not sure why I didn’t do that this time. I think I assumed everyone was going to be much faster than me and it wouldn’t be a problem (I am slow) but yeah that was a mistake (1 of many).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
ericlambi wrote:

Rose City?

Did the Rose City sprint on Friday and loved the TT start. Maybe would feel different about long course but for a sprint you are pretty much at the limit the whole time, and TT format seems to work really well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Island wrote:
I just did my first triathlon in 5 years (sprint) and it was a disaster.

The swim was a beach start into a lake, I thought I'd be slower than most so put myself at the back so as not to get swum over. Unfortunately i found myself surrounded by breaststrokers that I couldn't pass, then everything came to a standstill around the first buoy and everyone was treading water in a traffic jam (never seen anything like it). So I was getting stressed, add to that my wetsuit is now too tight as I'm not as skinny as 5 years ago, but I thought I could make it work - result of these two situations combined, I couldn't get into my stroke, I couldn't breathe and I think I had a mild panic attack.

I ended up hanging onto the rescue boat honestly thinking I couldn't continue. Absolutely mortified. Only shame made me get a grip and carry on. I actually finished the swim with my wetsuit unzipped.

Then to make matters worse, they were using really massively thick timing chips (also never seen anything like it) and I had to take it off to get my wetsuit leg off. Half way through bike lap 1 - you guessed it, I realised it was still in transition. F@ÂŁk Sake!! I actually sobbed.

So, my final finish time amazingly was actually around what I expected, as I was so pissed off on the bike that I had the hammer down. But now my confidence is absolute in tatters. I wanted to try a 70.3 next year, now I don't even know if I could face another sprint.

1. That sucks. Sorry to hear.
2. Yes, do the 70.3 next year. You got it!
3. Get a new Xterra wetsuit. They are always on sale. ALWAYS!
4. Cut the leg portion off a bit more so it sits mid calf. Just make sure when you cut it you stay under the calf seam line.
5. Put yourself in the front for the swim, or closer up. I am guessing that is something you learned today :)
6. I also have a wetsuit that is a bit bigger on me than planned (thankfully due to me losing weight). I also liked it.

Good luck!
-Can you sign up for another race this year even if you need to travel a bit to redeem yourself?
Quote Reply
Re: Swim (and bike) nightmare [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:

3. Get a new Xterra wetsuit. They are always on sale. ALWAYS![/quote]
right now, Xterra Vortex on sale for $200, Vector Pro for $250.. I've had an Xterra for years, can recommend.

did my first tri in six years yesterday. I can also recommend aging up into 60-plus, the start wave gets nice and small.. ha.
In my case the swim went fine then the cassette lock ring came loose so two cogs fell off and jammed the rear wheel.. never had that happen before..

I breath left, so always start well out on the right. This does two things, gets out of the crowd, and makes sighting easy because I can just watch the swimmers to my left. Figure I lose less time by swimming a bit longer, than brawling through the crowds and potentially getting that panic attack..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a decent swimmer, and I am prone to panic attacks. It has been a few years, but it happened to me at the WC race this weekend. Anyway, my #1 way to fix it is a good swim warm up. After that is to swim away from the crowds if possible. Years ago the panic attacks used to hit me almost every race. Then I did a race were I swam way wide of the crowd and just did my own thing. That built huge confidence and I worked my way back into the main group over the next few races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Island wrote:
ericlambi wrote:

I’m definitely ditching the “your wetsuit should be super tight” theory!
Team loose wetsuit, here, signing on. My wife and I 100% agree.

I wear one size "too big" according to manufacturers.

She wears 1 size larger than originally recommended by De Soto, and would wear 3-4 sizes larger than recommended by Roka's size chart. She'd wear at least 2 sizes up in Blue Seventy as well.

What is most hydrodynamic is not fastest if:
  1. Shoulders are burning out
  2. Neck is fatiguing
  3. Technique is out the window because you're panic breathing and lifting your head every stroke and ruining body position in the water.
  4. You're hanging onto a lifeguard's flotation device.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone here has had good advice
  • Work on wetsuit fit
  • More practice
  • Find friends to train with

Someone needs to make it plain though, triathlon is hard. I think we forget about it when we've been doing it for years, but just finishing a sprint is tough for a beginner. There are so many things to remember and master that just finishing is an accomplishment. A lot of people in the general population think finishing a 5k is a lifetime achievement. Compare that to what you just finished and don't be too hard on yourself.

Now that you have perspective, pick one thing and work on it. Probably best to start with the swim as most of the others have mentioned.
Quote Reply