Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sweaty clothes smell
Quote | Reply
Ok this is a little gross. How often do you do laundry after a workout? I’ll probably go 4-5 days so the closet gets a little ripe.

Any thoughts / suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Sweaty clothes smell [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do wash about once every 2 weeks. More often if I run out of socks.

What I do is rinse and wring out my clothes if they get super sweaty. It helps get the sweat out and battle the smell.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Sweaty clothes smell [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put some baking soda in my laundry and it helps. If you have an extra rinse option that can help to keep the clothes from getting stiff from the baking soda.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look up RockinGreen soap for Active Wear. That said if you let them dry before you put in the laundry, its way better.
Quote Reply
Re: Sweaty clothes smell [Emma'sDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my trainer kit always ( well nearly) gets a rinse and spin straight after a workout, either by hand or in the machine, that'll give me a couple of wears, and with a couple of sets of trainer kit ( old road shorts kept for the trainer) that'll get me most of the week, and then I can chuck it in with the next wash.

as mentinerd Bicarb/washing soda can work wonders if you get stinky kit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:
Ok this is a little gross. How often do you do laundry after a workout? I’ll probably go 4-5 days so the closet gets a little ripe.

Do you mean you wash worn clothes every 4 or 5 says or you wear the same for 4 or 5 days?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SweatX helps. Works well, good small company that supports athletes and school.

Try to let them thoroughly dry if you aren't going to wash quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: Sweaty clothes smell [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trev wrote:
7401southwick wrote:

Do you mean you wash worn clothes every 4 or 5 says or you wear the same for 4 or 5 days?

I sincerely hope he meant a wash after 4-5 days and not wear the same for 4 or 5 days? I pretty much chuck my gear into the laundry basket the moment i finish each work out. Exception is cycling bib, i might air it and use it again if it was a short work out
Quote Reply
Re: Sweaty clothes smell [asianzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
asianzone wrote:
Trev wrote:
7401southwick wrote:

I sincerely hope he meant a wash after 4-5 days and not wear the same for 4 or 5 days? I pretty much chuck my gear into the laundry basket the moment i finish each work out. Exception is cycling bib, i might air it and use it again if it was a short work out

If you throw wet sweaty clothes into a confined space, where they don't dry out and fester they will stink. Then if you wash them at low temperature below 40 degrees, bacteria will not be killed and you end up with clothes which smell.

Scum who market and sell washing powder, concentrated liquid or gel tablet whatever latest marketing shit they invent will tell you otherwise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trev wrote:
asianzone wrote:
Trev wrote:
7401southwick wrote:

If you throw wet sweaty clothes into a confined space, where they don't dry out and fester they will stink. Then if you wash them at low temperature below 40 degrees, bacteria will not be killed and you end up with clothes which smell.

Scum who market and sell washing powder, concentrated liquid or gel tablet whatever latest marketing shit they invent will tell you otherwise.

Maybe, i don't dispute your theory above
All my run stuff are lululemon (anti stink fabric), they really do not stink, i hand wash all of them usually after each work out and don;t even use a detergent. Never have a problem with smell
What i do throw into a "confined space" is bike jersey and they don;t smell too after a wash, at least i don't have that problem
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No it’s not the same set worn 4 -5 days in a row. It’s usually fresh stuff every day. The used ones just sit for days in the closet laundry, separated from regular laundy , before I get them in the wash
Quote Reply
Re: Sweaty clothes smell [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
What I do is rinse and wring out my clothes if they get super sweaty. It helps get the sweat out and battle the smell.

This is what I do unless it’s super cold out and I didn’t sweat much. I just hop right into the shower fully clothed. At work for lunch workouts I’ll hang them across the bike rack in the bed of my truck until I leave.

This keeps them from growing bacteria until I get around to washing them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried the Tide workout detergent, but it made everyone in my family breakout with a rash. OTher than that, it worked and was the only thing to get the stink out of some of my clothes, that to this day smell like sweat.
Quote Reply
Re: Sweaty clothes smell [Emma'sDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for letting them dry after a workout.

I will always throw them on the line once removed from my body. Once dry, they go in the laundry heap.

Seems to keep my clothes from stinking....
Quote Reply
Re: Sweaty clothes smell [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lay mine either in the tub or across the laundry basket if I'm home (or as soon as I get home). Then next day, I'll flip them into the basket and lay the fresh sweaty ones there.

For stink out of the wash, we use white vinegar added to the load. Works every time and is cheaper than the special detergents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same issue. I travel a lot and will do multi-city loops. So, I have smelly clothes and need to pack them up again with my suits and other clean clothes.

I developed a solution for this and use it when on the road and also at home if I know I cannot get to the laundry quick enough.

I hope this doesn’t violate forums policy, please check out my website http://www.gowarriorgear.com

Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was actually just researching this last weekend and found a solution. I do a lot of treadmill running and I'm soaked by the time I'm done. I throw my wet clothes into the washing machine and they sit there for a few days until there's enough for a full load. My clothes had accumulated a smell even when fresh out of the wash and would already stink as soon as I put them on (my wife told me I smelled like a dead animal, I hope she was exaggerating). I tried the vinegar soak method and it completely wiped out the bad smells. Just fill a sink with your clothes, one cup of white vinegar, and water and let sit for 30 mins, then wash normally. That will take care of any accumulated smells.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:

I workout 10-15 times per week and do 5-15 washes per week. My Strava says I average 10 sessions per week on the bike, so I throw those piss laden clothes right into the washer.

Sometimes I just wear and wash the same shit over and over and over again until it falls apart and then I wear something else. I bought a pair of De Soto Riviera shorts last year that I've probably washed 400 times. Still going strong.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Sweaty clothes smell [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A trick though is to sick wash certain materials in the sink and then wring them out and throw them in the drier (if you haven't washed your shit and want to wash it quick before riding). I'm not talking about cotton and stuff, but that fast drying spandex or neoprene type shit, if it isn't an expensive speed suit or something, you can pretty much hand wash it real quick in the sink with some laundry detergent, then rinse real quick, ring out and throw it in the dryer for a second or wear it wet.

No stink, immediately clean. Great for traveling.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Last edited by: plant_based: Apr 8, 19 9:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the Summer, after running or riding outdoors, I just get right in the shower with my gear on, and rinse it out as I take it off

Once I've gone through 2 or 3 "costume changes," I'll put the whole pile through the washer

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the "take my sweaty clothes into the shower" club. I'll take the extra minute or so to soap them up with whatever soap is in there (bar soap at home, soap dispenser at the gym) rinse them off, hang them up to dry. They are ready for tomorrow. I wear the same stuff day after day until there is nothing left of them. Never a problem with stink. Old race stuff become daily workout stuff. I started doing this about 5 years ago, because the laundry basket routine did NOT work, and was just nasty.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Apr 8, 19 10:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm telling you ever since I found this stuff, that lingering smell that my wife would mention even after my shirts were washed went away. This stuff is pure gold. Even unstinks my shoes.

https://www.armandhammer.com/...ghters-115-washloads
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wear wool if you can, I wore the same tee shirt 24 hours a day for 5 days hiking in the Sierras and it was still odorless. And I sweat a lot.
To double check I thrust my wife's nose into my armpit and she didn't keel over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If stuff is wet from sweat, hang it to dry in the bathroom or something before you put it in the laundry bin. My workout stuff then generally goes straight into the laundry room until the next wash. But never just leave it wet in a pile... gross. I follow those rules, and don't have an issue with stuff stinking up the place. I can't be bothered to rinse, wring, etc before washing... too much effort, might as well just wash it at that point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:

I shower with them on and then hang to dry or put them through a spin cycle before drying.

Don't leave them waiting.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply

Prev Next