Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Swapping tubeless for tubed tires
Quote | Reply
I recently picked up a Giant Defy Advanced 2. This bike comes with tubeless tires (my first experience). I'm considering swapping the wheels and tires for a tubed set up. What are some comparable wheels and tires to the stock PR-2 Disc and Giant Gavia Fondo 1? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Swapping tubeless for tubed tires [realest777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can put tubes in tubeless tires/wheels, just remove the valves and empty out the sealant.
Last edited by: hobbyjogger: Jul 17, 20 10:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran tubeless from 2010 until last year when I got a new bike and decided to run tubes again, mainly because I was feeling lazy. I never had a puncture I knew about in 9 years. I got my first flat last night from something that would've definitely been plugged by sealant in a tubeless setup, so I'm switching back to tubeless. If you're already set up, why switch?
Quote Reply
Re: Swapping tubeless for tubed tires [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
offpiste.reese wrote:
I ran tubeless from 2010 until last year when I got a new bike and decided to run tubes again, mainly because I was feeling lazy. I never had a puncture I knew about in 9 years. I got my first flat last night from something that would've definitely been plugged by sealant in a tubeless setup, so I'm switching back to tubeless. If you're already set up, why switch?

The maintenance is annoying to me. Having to fill up per ride, or at least weekly. It is lazy, which is ironic giving the training. No other excuses :(
Quote Reply
Re: Swapping tubeless for tubed tires [hobbyjogger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hobbyjogger wrote:
You can put tubes in tubeless tires/wheels, just remove the valves and empty out the sealant.

I read an article about the clincher or something not being capable and potentially causing flats if inserting a tube into a tubeless wheel. This is all new to me, so I'm open to any and all knowledge and opinions
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realest777 wrote:
hobbyjogger wrote:

I read an article about the clincher or something not being capable and potentially causing flats if inserting a tube into a tubeless wheel. This is all new to me, so I'm open to any and all knowledge and opinions

Never head that before. I've put tubes in Specialized, Easton, Stans and Reynolds tubeless wheels without any issues...that said, these were all MTB wheels, I've never used Giant or a tubeless road wheelset. I always carry a tube with me (tubeless setup) in case the sealant doesn't work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realest777 wrote:
hobbyjogger wrote:

Tubeless can mean different things with different wheels. Two cases:

1) If your tubeless rims have bead hooks then you can run regular clinchers and tubes without worries.

2) If your tubeless rims are hookless most wheel manufacturers state it is acceptable to run tubes using tubeless ready tires (not standard clincher tires).

So either way you’ll have options to run tubes with your stock tubeless wheelset.

You mention maintenance issues. If your tubeless setup is dropping pressure too quickly you can try adding more sealant. It also may help to distribute the sealant with the wheel removed from bike and distributing the sealant with wheel/tire parallel to ground while lightly flipping/twisting wheel. Do this several times after rotating wheel something like a quarter turn. Also check that the valve stem but is fully finger tight and be sure to distribute sealant to this location.
Quote Reply
Re: Swapping tubeless for tubed tires [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll give it a go with the tubeless, let the tire(s) run down and have the local shop re-seal them. Worse case I pick up the same rims and have a tubed setup. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the bike *actually* tubeless right now? Many bikes are tubeless but actually ship with tubes in. You don’t need extra wheels, you just put in a regular tube.
Quote Reply
Re: Swapping tubeless for tubed tires [hobbyjogger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hobbyjogger wrote:

^^^^^This.

When you do flat a tubeless (puncture that won't seal), the road repair is to put in a tube. Yes, the sealant makes this a mess.

As mentioned, hooked bead rims can use regular tires with tubes. Hookless rims can use tubes, but need tires made for hookless rims (a subset of available tubeless tires).

I was an early adopter of road tubeless, but found the available tires (at the time) to be expensive, high CRR, and heavy. After about a year, I switched back to tubes and Conti 4000s.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Swapping tubeless for tubed tires [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
Is the bike *actually* tubeless right now? Many bikes are tubeless but actually ship with tubes in. You don’t need extra wheels, you just put in a regular tube.

Tubeless confirmed. Front tire was completely flat day after I purchased it and I was moving the tire around to see the rim. Bike shop confirmed as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Swapping tubeless for tubed tires [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
hobbyjogger wrote:

^^^^^This.

When you do flat a tubeless (puncture that won't seal), the road repair is to put in a tube. Yes, the sealant makes this a mess.

As mentioned, hooked bead rims can use regular tires with tubes. Hookless rims can use tubes, but need tires made for hookless rims (a subset of available tubeless tires).

I was an early adopter of road tubeless, but found the available tires (at the time) to be expensive, high CRR, and heavy. After about a year, I switched back to tubes and Conti 4000s.

Not a bad plan, I’ll see how it goes and maybe copy your setup
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did it have sealant in ? Or had the shop simply dispatched it with the tubeless tyres pumped up ?
(Lack of sealant would be one explanation for why it was flat the next day)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fill up per ride or weekly? I top off sealant every 4-6 weeks, and it takes about 2 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Swapping tubeless for tubed tires [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This sealant is still wet and sloshing after 3 months. More concentrated than Stans or Orange Seal. No complaints, zero tubeless flats in 10,000 miles.

https://www.ebay.com/...8:g:XH8AAOSwSk5dQkND
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where did you hear you have to add sealant weekly? I typically go months without adding extra and have never had any issues...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1 2018. I took out the sealant and installed tubes. I have been running them this way for about 6 months now without any problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Swapping tubeless for tubed tires [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Did it have sealant in ? Or had the shop simply dispatched it with the tubeless tyres pumped up ?
(Lack of sealant would be one explanation for why it was flat the next day)

Sounds like no sealant or the shop didn’t do a good job setting them up.

OP, you should be able to add sealant by removing the valve core and injecting the sealant (takes like 1 min per tire). After you put the sealant in, shake the tires around and lay them horizontal for an hour or so, flip and repeat.

Also, your tires shouldn’t loose pressure too quickly, mine seem to hold pressure just as good as a tubed setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Swapping tubeless for tubed tires [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
realest777 wrote:
hobbyjogger wrote:

Tubeless can mean different things with different wheels. Two cases:

1) If your tubeless rims have bead hooks then you can run regular clinchers and tubes without worries.

2) If your tubeless rims are hookless most wheel manufacturers state it is acceptable to run tubes using tubeless ready tires (not standard clincher tires).

So either way you’ll have options to run tubes with your stock tubeless wheelset.

You mention maintenance issues. If your tubeless setup is dropping pressure too quickly you can try adding more sealant. It also may help to distribute the sealant with the wheel removed from bike and distributing the sealant with wheel/tire parallel to ground while lightly flipping/twisting wheel. Do this several times after rotating wheel something like a quarter turn. Also check that the valve stem but is fully finger tight and be sure to distribute sealant to this location.

And I learned that under point 2) here above it should be added that pressure can not be above 5 bars or so with hookless rims which practically means no tires narrower than 28mm
Quote Reply
Re: Swapping tubeless for tubed tires [kerikstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kerikstri wrote:
Where did you hear you have to add sealant weekly? I typically go months without adding extra and have never had any issues...

Right. Once a year for me. I don’t worry about it over the snowy winter. Top off in the spring and ride the summer
Quote Reply
Re: Swapping tubeless for tubed tires [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I just realized he meant that he would have to pump up the tires with AIR (not sealant) at least weekly (I misinterpreted his initial posting). Still not sure how valid of a complaint this is though, given I seem to re-pump my tubeless tires just as frequently as my tubed tires. I like my tire pressure to be just right though...
Last edited by: kerikstri: Jul 19, 20 6:37
Quote Reply
Re: Swapping tubeless for tubed tires [kerikstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Giant TCR pro disc from 2017, just switched out the Gavin tubeless tires with Schwalbe Pro tubeless. For 3 years I added sealant in March and rode through November. Never got a single flat. Before each and every ride, I examine the tires for cuts, glass or other damage and pump them for every ride. It takes two minutes, we’ll worth it to me to avoid problems at least at the start. I carry a tube for emergencies.
Quote Reply
Re: Swapping tubeless for tubed tires [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Fill up per ride or weekly? I top off sealant every 4-6 weeks, and it takes about 2 minutes.

Tubeless is no effort what-so-ever. Heck, I was walking out to go on an evening ride last week and noticed I had a flat......quick pump and squirt of a water bottle and saw that my tape was apparently leaking (air seeping out thru the spoke holes). Took me all of 10-15 minutes to remove the tire, remove the rim tape, clean and dry the rim, install new tape and reinstall the tire with fresh sealant. Just slightly harder than replacing a new tube (although a bit longer to do).

That being said.......you need at least some minimal abilities to do some things on your own so if you need to take it to a shop to mount or set up tubeless you probably are better off sticking with tubes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realest777 wrote:
hobbyjogger wrote:

I've gone back to clinchers as I bought some Conti GP5000 TL tubeless replacements but couldn't get the tyre on the Giant SLR One wheels.

Took it to a shop and the said they could force it on but it would be pretty tough for me to get them off on the roadside.

I had a partly used and new S Works Turbo clinchers and put those on with tubes without issue.

I think the original Gavias are quite slow.
Quote Reply
Re: Swapping tubeless for tubed tires [cowboy7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cowboy7 wrote:

I've gone back to clinchers as I bought some Conti GP5000 TL tubeless replacements but couldn't get the tyre on the Giant SLR One wheels.

Took it to a shop and the said they could force it on but it would be pretty tough for me to get them off on the roadside.

I've noticed that tires I've had a hard time getting on the rim do stretch out a little after I mounted and used them. So if you still have the Conti's, give them a try. I've heard of people putting new tires in the dryer to get them hot and easier to mount, or leaving them out on hot pavement or in a hot car might work also.
Quote Reply

Prev Next