Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sustained Energy
Quote | Reply
Any users out there? I'd like your honest opinions on how this stuff has worked for you in the past. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Sustained Energy [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I loved Sustained Energy until I met Perpetuem, made by the same people. Now, I use it before my morning workouts as a "breakfast" and for all training/racing over 2hrs. At my last 1/2IM, I took 3 bottles on the bike as my only bike nutrition (switched to Hammergel on the run) and it worked wonderfully.

I think the only main difference between SE and Perpetuem is Perpetuem has some electrolytes.

Try it, you won't be dissapointed.
Quote Reply
Re: Sustained Energy [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Try it, you won't be dissapointed.<<

I'd say definitely try it cause it may make you sick like it does me. I tried Perpetum in France and that didn't sit well either. And the taste of Perpetum is nasty, IMO.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used Sustained Energy for a while now and find it work great for me. I use it on my long rides and races. It helped me qualify for Kona at Eagleman earlier this year. ;-) I am going to try Perpentum as soon as the FedEx guy shows up. The flavor, or lack thereof, isn't too bad. Adding Hammer Gel will give it any flavor you want. I find that on a long ride or in the middle of an IM, it's bland taste is preferable to the sweetness of Gatorade, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The taste made me sick. I couldn't give the rest of my supply away. None of my riding buds liked it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I loved sustained energy for a while but am kinda getting burnt out on it now. It definetely works though, the bland kina soy milk like flavor is easy to take down and you can get quite a few calories in a single bottle. Like any protein/carb drink don't let it sit in the hot sun for a while or it may go bad. I've been scared about this in races but they never seem to take long enough to have any problems, anohther incentive to go faster. I add a salt supplement to my sustained as well.

Perpetuem is waaaay more appealing to me than sustained though. I don't know if I notice any performance improvement over sustained but Perpetuem's ingredient lilst is more to my liking. Hammer added in a pretty complete electrolyte spectrum as well as Q10, which honestly I don't know if actually makes a difference. There is a little bit of fat now as well which I believe is reflected in the taste, kinda creamy orange which has quite a bit of body to it but is very agreeable with me. I have heard of many people not liking the taste at all though. The only bummers are the fact that calorie wise it's a third more expensive than Sustained and the fact that I just bought a HUGE tub of Sustained...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great stuff, funky taste Perpetuem tastes slightly better (still funky). If you have a strong stomach, it's great stuff. It tastes better than Accelerade!

As far as function, it's like Endurox (contains some protein) so hast he same benefits. I add endurolytes powder (salty, makes the funky taste REALLY suck...) and HammerGel for a balanced meal! For lon workouts or races, I think it's the best thing going.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Re: Sustained Energy [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used SE for a while, but it just wasn't very palatable. It worked for me, so I kept using it. I had had a huge problem finding a drink/mixture that worked for me, so I was willing to deal with the taste because it worked. Then, I got a notice that Perpetuem was to be released. It looked like it was the same as SE but with electrolytes and flavor so I gave it a shot. As a drink, it works similarly to SE. One of the nice things is that it really doesn't matter if it is hot or cold, it drinks the same and tastes the same. Even better though, was I found that you could mix it as a paste in a HamerGel flask and supplement with water from a bottle. This rocks. I've used this at Buffalo Springs and at Lake Placid. Now all I carry are enough flasks (about 600 calories per flask), water bottles on the bike, and Endurolytes for hot days. So far so good!!!!

Mark
Quote Reply