Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Suspense is over: Armstrong in the Tour 05...
Quote | Reply
so, we will have something to watch more than 5' briefs at the end of each day ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Suspense is over: Armstrong in the Tour 05... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope it is more interesting than 04's race!
Quote Reply
Re: Suspense is over: Armstrong in the Tour 05... [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how can it be less?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2/16/2005 - After much speculation, the Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team's Lance Armstrong today announced his initial 2005 racing schedule, one that will include this summer's Tour de France where he will go for a seventh straight victory. In 2004, Armstrong made history by becoming the first cyclist to win six Tours de France with a dominating performance, winning five individual stages.

"I am grateful for the opportunity that Discovery Communications has given the team and look forward to achieving my goal of a seventh Tour de France (victory)," said Armstrong.

Also on Armstrong's racing schedule is one of America's premier races - April's Tour de Georgia, an event Armstrong won in 2004. Armstrong will kick off his season early next month at Paris-Nice, a seven day stage race and the first event of the newly formed Pro Tour, the sport's top level racing series.

"I am excited to get back on the bike and start racing although my condition is far from perfect," said Armstrong.

Following Paris-Nice, Armstrong will take part in the 89th edition of the Tour of Flanders, one of Europe's most prestigious Spring Classics, on April 3. Armstrong last raced in the Tour of Flanders in 2002, finishing 59th in support of his team's leader. Armstrong will then return to the U.S. and defend his title at the Tour de Georgia, scheduled for April 19-25.

"Johan (Bruyneel, the team's sports manager) and I will evaluate my fitness later this spring and possibly add some races to the calendar," said Armstrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool!

See if the magic of number 7 happens... ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn: I was hoping for next year so I could go see it live. I guess OLN will have to do for one for year.

Regards,

Mike
Houston, Texas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see only downside for him on this. If he wins again it will be boring and it just starts to look like he is denying someone else their place in the spotlight. If he doesn't win it will be a big letdown and he doesn't go out on top.

I personally liked the idea of him focusing on other races and the hour record this year. But this may not jive with the promotional agenda of the Discovery Channel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm more excited about the commit to come back to defend his title in the Tour de Georgia.

The conclusion of stage 4 at Brasstown Bald had over 30,000 spectators lining the roads and over 1,000 cyclist that road the 'beyond category climb' last year prior to the professional riders coming through. The numbers this year will be even bigger. So, for those of us not fortunate enough to see the real show in the TdF, this is about as close as it gets.

And it was pretty damn exciting. I encourage everyone to try and bring their bikes out for that day. There were people there from all over the country last year.
Quote Reply
Re: Suspense is over: Armstrong in the Tour 05... [scox43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm more excited about the commit to come back to defend his title in the Tour de Georgia.

The conclusion of stage 4 at Brasstown Bald had over 30,000 spectators lining the roads....
With a bit of luck I'll be there screaming like a moron.

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply
Re: Suspense is over: Armstrong in the Tour 05... [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I see only downside for him on this. If he wins again it will be boring and it just starts to look like he is denying someone else their place in the spotlight. If he doesn't win it will be a big letdown and he doesn't go out on top.
I have trouble understanding this sentiment. We come in at the bottom, we may get lucky and have the "confluence of things" harmonize and reach "the top" at some point, but if we truly love the sport, we ought to stick around and leave through the same door we came in at. Would there be something wrong with Roger Clemens playing AAA or even AA ball in his sixties, simply because he loves to play and that's the highest level he could compete at?
Quote Reply
Re: Suspense is over: Armstrong in the Tour 05... [scox43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I'm more excited about the commit to come back to defend his title in the Tour de Georgia."

I kinda agree. I'd love to make it out there for that.
Quote Reply
Re: Suspense is over: Armstrong in the Tour 05... [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He'll come out slow, Ulrich will be in the lead. Something will happen. He'll have to make a miracle comeback. He'll win and we'll love every minute of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The really cool thing is that Outside magazine mentioned OLN will actually cover the Spring Classics that Armstrong races. So we should get full coverage of Flanders as opposed to the junk OLN gave us last year.
Quote Reply