Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Supplements That Work
Quote | Reply
Thought I'd post this cool infographic from Yann Le Meur. For me, I use caffeine and beta alanine pre-workout, protein and glutamine post-workout, and casein before bed. Also, here in the NC heat and humidity I supplement with salts, as well as "training high" most days with enough carbohydrates to get me through a workout well positioned to do another later that day or the next day. I also get 8 hours of sleep daily. I use Trader Joe's French Vanilla Coffee, Osmo, Skratch, Salt Stick, Power Bar, and Gu products as well as ON Optimal Nutrition who are GMP certified.

So that's it. Sleep, water, protein, carbohydrate, salts, and a few amino acids. Given our peer group I think Ostarine needs to be added to the "prohibited by WADA" part of the endurance pie though.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Aug 9, 19 11:35
Quote Reply
Re: Supplements That Work [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the infographic. Personally I use caffeine and beetroot (nitrate), and the obvious carbs. Also adjust the electrolyte intake according to sweat rate. I thought those was the only one with relative strong evidence showed a performance increase in endurance. Have any good studies to support beta-alanine, bicarb/citrate and antioxidants?

Also I take iron supplements, but that is of course due to very low measured levels.

http://www.triallan.com
Ambassador of:
Quintana Roo - https://quintanarootri.com
Bioracer
Precision Fuel & Hydration
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ostarine contaminated salt tablets.

Quote Reply
Re: Supplements That Work [Allanhov] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allanhov wrote:
I like the infographic. Personally I use caffeine and beetroot (nitrate), and the obvious carbs. Also adjust the electrolyte intake according to sweat rate. I thought those was the only one with relative strong evidence showed a performance increase in endurance. Have any good studies to support beta-alanine, bicarb/citrate and antioxidants?

Also I take iron supplements, but that is of course due to very low measured levels.

What was your top speed at Norseman with those crazy ass bars?

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Supplements That Work [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:

I hoped to reach 100km/h but only managed 98,3km/h. The wind was neutral/minor headwind, no tailwind as last year.

Ambassador of:
Bioracer
Quote Reply
Re: Supplements That Work [Allanhov] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allanhov wrote:
palmtrees wrote:

I hoped to reach 100km/h but only managed 98,3km/h. The wind was neutral/minor headwind, no tailwind as last year.

only managed 98.3 km/h

I cannot even fathom that speed on a tri bike in aero position sitting on the top tube

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is magnesium in the red because of lack of evidence? Or because of possible contamination?
Quote Reply
Re: Supplements That Work [darkwave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lack of evidence

darkwave wrote:
Is magnesium in the red because of lack of evidence? Or because of possible contamination?

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting, I didn't know probiotics had strong evidence behind them. I'm going to have to do some research.
Quote Reply
Re: Supplements That Work [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Interesting, I didn't know probiotics had strong evidence behind them. I'm going to have to do some research.

Probiotics have strong evidence for gut health and immunity. When travelling and racing, swimming in dodgy water they would definately be a benefit, but not performance enhancing benefit.
Quote Reply
Re: Supplements That Work [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are there certain ones I should be looking for? I honestly know very little about them, other than what I've seen on 30 second TV commercials.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
jaretj wrote:

Probiotics have strong evidence for gut health and immunity. When travelling and racing, swimming in dodgy water they would definately be a benefit, but not performance enhancing benefit.

That's overstating their effects by a lot. There is definitely not strong evidence of anything at this point.

https://www.gastro.org/...-probiotics-research

https://nccih.nih.gov/...ics/introduction.htm

https://www.psychologytoday.com/...tics-set-alarm-bells
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are likely to be tested look for a safer brand, independant third party testing is obviously the safest way to go. I don't know where you are from, different countries/areas have different companies testing. In Europe finding something tested by informed sport shouldn't be too hard, in Aus Hesta tests some brands, USA also have some Informed sport testing I think, but there are other companies which also do this. All products tested by these companies display a logo and batches can be searched on the testers web page for authenticity of testing. I would recommending looking on one of the testers web pages, doing a search for what you are looking for and that would show all the brands having products matching that they have tested. Not that hard, a little research first time round of any supplement purchase is definately the safe way to go, and worth the hassle for your health.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much
Quote Reply
Re: Supplements That Work [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:
Allanhov wrote:
palmtrees wrote:

only managed 98.3 km/h

I cannot even fathom that speed on a tri bike in aero position sitting on the top tube

That was actually no issue at all. Everything felt very secure and stable :)

Ambassador of:
Bioracer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:

I have digestive issues and went with a plant based probiotic - Garden of Life Primal Defense 90 capsules currently $30 at Swanson's or iHerb. Vitamin Shoppe often has them in store. I get the regular ones and not the Ultras. I get the capsules for ease rather than the powder.

While I continue to eat yogurt, the plant based probiotic seems to get past the stomach acids and make it to the intestines far better. While the directions say three a day, I only need one a day before going to bed. If my stomach is "heavy" and it feels that something is not being digested easily, I'll take one too.

For about 33 cents a day, this has been the best probiotic for me by far. Being plant based, they also have a long shelf life at home.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paolo Sousa when asked about whether/which food supplements have a performance benefit:

"There is a list of supplements that work, it's called the WADA banned substances list"...
Quote Reply
Re: Supplements That Work [looberforce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looberforce wrote:
Paolo Sousa when asked about whether/which food supplements have a performance benefit:

"There is a list of supplements that work, it's called the WADA banned substances list"...

He's wrong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think in general supplements only work when there's a deficiency of some kind.
Low on iron? Iron will make you improve, otherwise not and might even be dangerous.
Low protein intake? Same.

Only things I am using is green tea extract before fasted workouts like this one
And I'd consider trying beet juice in race week, haven't tried it though. Going to order me some Beetit for the next race just because it seems that nitrate content seems to be guaranteed
Last edited by: cmart: Aug 10, 19 7:26
Quote Reply
Re: Supplements That Work [cmart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Supplements That Work [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What brand of beta alanine do you use?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Supplements That Work [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everything I use is ON Optimal Nutrition... not because they’re any better or anything but out of habit and because they’re GMP certified

ericlambi wrote:
What brand of beta alanine do you use?

Quote Reply