Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Supplements
Quote | Reply
I need some nutrition help. I don't eat great, not horrible but not nearly enough fruits and veggies. I wanted to find out, in addition to eating better, what some good but cheap supplements there are out there. I can do the research but I know you guys already know a lot about this. BTW- I'm female, 32 yrs old, and training for IM Louisville. Thanks in advance for the help....I need it!
Quote Reply
Re: Supplements [#20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wrote something up awhile ago here.

Hope it helps

:-)

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the Hammer Nutrition supplements. www.hammernutrition.com They have products for just about everything. Their Phytomax will help you with your lack of greens. Mention customer number 30079 referred you and receive 15% off your first order.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thoughts on JuicePlus?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People in my lab have done studies on juice plus and oxidative stress markers. It seems to help. you can do a pubmed search for Goldfarb and oxidative stress.

-Jason

I believe cars are the new second hand smoke. -Dave Zabriskie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me start by saying, No I don't work for Amway nor do I want to. Okay now that's over, you should look at the Nutrilite line of supplements. I take them and like them alot. First time I have ever taken vitamin's where I actually noticed a difference in how I felt almost, and pretty much within the first 2 days. You can find out the info on Quixtar's website. I found them through an Amway rep who stopped me at home depot because I looked like a runner and wanted me to try his products, and then sell them which I turned down. Turns out they are awesome products though.
Quote Reply
Re: Supplements [swift] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 for Juice plus. I don't do supplements including that one, but I do follow research and my wife is a fairly anti-supplement holistic health counselor and if we did take any supps, juice plus would be first on the list.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Murphy'sLaw [ In reply to ]
Post deleted by Trev [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: Trev: Apr 14, 15 14:38
Quote | Reply
My wife is 30 years old, vegetarian.
Got to a domestic professional level with only supplement being a flintstones vitamin, and that was just in case.

We have played with beta alanine, no indication from the power meter that it did anything.

We do recovery shakes this season after hard rides because we are hitting 20+ hour hard weeks.

Fitness isn't any better than last year when we didn't do that though, yet anyway.

Supplements generally aren't necessary or helpful, if you have a deficiency in something like iron, or vitamin D, etc, they can be important but normally are not

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have looked at this a bit, Iron is pretty important. We make people take a full blood screen before program start. IIRC the Australian institute of sport, Cross country ski Canada and a bunch of other organizations look at a minimum of 40 SF before performance deteriorates.

I have seen a jump of over 20% in FTP and V02 max with my girl friend going from SF of 7 to over 50….this is not performance enhancing…just going from shit back to normal, SF (Iron) is heavily influenced by sweat rates. We take Palafer CF (16$ per month) which appears to work better than Flora (liquid veg supplement) or Hemoplex, every one is different though.

Also take magnesium in addition to other electro when going from a very cold to hot climate. Basically 6-8 bucks. perhaps just cheap insurance or a placebo.

Also take a fish oil, because we bought it for our dogs and makes their skin/hair appear to be better ;-0 Likely not doing much.

In terms of veggies, I do a beet and spinach smoothie every morning….my girlfriend calls it the dirt smoothie….but basically if you have a sub par diet then getting your veggies in early and with out thinking is easier.

Here is a great smoothie thread:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ng=smoothie;#5358451

Cheers,
Maurice
Last edited by: mauricemaher: Apr 15, 15 3:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've spent thousands on supplements looking for a legal edge in performance since I was 19 and training for the Ranger Indoctrination Program (RIP).

The biggest thing I would always find once taken immediately was the cool neon color of my urine.

Creatine does a great job in making me look bloated and chubby.

Caffeine helps with morning motivation (and intra-training endurance).

Beta Alinine does an awesome job at making my body feel like pins and needles and completely uncomfortable. The only thing that has ever given me an "edge" in training is certain pre-workout formulas (Largely consisting of tyrosine caffeine and other "natural" stimulants).. this is mainly from a mental motivation stand point (does not help when trying to do Heart Rate Zone workouts.... like I want to do a long Zone 1-2 endurance ride... not happening after a good hurts of stimulants and sadly the combo of meds the doc has me on for PTSD and depression. Heart Rate training is a difficult thing for me lately.

Dan John said this once and it sucks but it's true.. "If it works immediately it's illegal, if it works quickly it is about to be banned, and if it sounds too good to be true it is'.

"Who cares if you're in pain...no one else does" - Ryan Lochte
Quote Reply
Re: Supplements [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is SF?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless a doctor has found a specific deficiency that needs to be addressed that cannot be done through dietary changes alone, I always suggest no supplementation. It is too easy to go overboard and most people don't need to supplement. You can get everything you need from a well planned diet.

"Just don’t abandon everything you’ve ever learned because of something someone said on the internet." - Eric McGinnis
Last edited by: ScottWrigleyFit: Apr 14, 15 17:30
Quote Reply
Re: Supplements [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just curious as to the procedure on how you came about a 3 year old and felt it worthy of zombie revival.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Supplements [trIInfected] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trIInfected wrote:
Creatine does a great job in making me look bloated and chubby.

Creatine makes you gain weight and can increase your chance of cramping. It is a great product for power and strength athletes, but is probably one of the last supplements I would ever recommend for a triathlete.

Except for those in the 45-49 age group. It is perfect for them. :)

---------------------

"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you are right."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great info on here! Thanks for the great info, Jodi! Liquid glucosamin, great stuff, too.
Why has no one mentioned vitametamegamin?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sadly, you'll only receive anecdotal replies to what supplements help and which don't. As Jack Mott pointed out, the supplement industry is unregulated and they can claim anything they want. One will tell you that they make you faster by upgrading the pyruvate pathway while another activates the reticulo-endothelial system. Another will claim you can fly.

I'd suggest you follow Jack's lead and rather buying unproven supplements, you spend the money on your kids or a nice dinner with your husband.

John

John H. Post, III, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
Charlottesville, VA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the best way to approach your problem would be to get a good handle on your nutrition and supplement based on what you are deficient in, if there are any deficiencies in the first place. I would focus on 3 things in this particular order and ask myself the following questions.

1. Calories: Am I eating enough throughout the day?
2. Macronutrients: Am I eating the enough protein, carbs and fat?
3. Micronutrients: Am I at least hitting my RDA's of vitamins and minerals?

Supplements can help you reach your goal but if you have no idea what you are supplementing chances are you are wasting money.
Quote Reply
Re: Supplements [TryScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
serum ferritin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't bother with supplememts.

Eat a big portion of liver once a week.

I don't like talk about super foods, but for athletes, liver is as close to a super food as you can get.
Quote Reply
Re: Supplements [Ga Tri Coach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mentioned Creatine as I was discussing supplementation in general. It ...quite obviously was not a recommendation for triathlon.

However, I wouldn't go so far as to say anything as an absolute. I have at one point in my life used creatine and saw noteworthy improvements in both Speed and relative Endurance.

On my second deployment I was weight training and running while using two products. One called Nitrix by BSN and the other was Creatine Ethyl-ester (CEE) (I don't remember the brand). CEE at the time was being marketed as "the perfect Creatine" as it did not require loading and did not bloat the user.

In a group of six guys I came from falling out of the runs to beating everyone. My 2 mile run time dropped from the low 14s (approximately 14:15-ish) to 12:50. My 5 mile run time went from 48 minutes to 32 minutes... and my lifts went up.

My body composition also changed for the better.

The comparison to everyone in the group was as I said very noteworthy and noticeable by all. We all naturally got stronger and faster, but it was my ability to surpass the group from such a poor starting point to beating them in the end that was really noticeable.

We were also going out almost every night rolling up shit heads (9 nights out of 10). This always included a lengthy deliberately slow walk in the open desert with anywhere between 35-90lbs of gear (dependent on your position). I remember one specific night we had a 10k infil walk after being dropped off by helicopter in the middle of the desert. I was carrying a steel ladder, a skedco (a body sled that rolls up and is in its own back length bag) and breaching tools (bolt cutters and a hooligan tool). I was carrying about 90lbs that night . Our exfil was much less after being on target for about 5-6 hours.. walking out of the city just out of small arms range about 3k from the target.

It should be said that this DID occur in the proverbial vacuum as my fitness could easily be considered flatlined at the start as I had spent two months prior to this in Baghdad, doing no training whatsoever as the optempo was extremely high. We drove during that period so Endurance was shit as well.

This all could have been very much attributed to the placebo effect and what bro science calls "newbie" gains.

The improvement in myself discussed above occurred over the span of about 2 1/2 months.

Granted this scenario does not describe the type of speed and endurance one needs for competitive triathlon (beyond sprint distance) whatsoever. I still thought it to be somewhat applicable.

I believe that too many people think creatine will dehydrate you, thus causing some type of cramping. This happens when the individual is not drinking enough water throughout the day (just as individuals who aren't using Creatine). This also happens extremely when you have an athlete taking creatine and doing nothing but weight training for weeks and weeks... then one day decides to go for a run and bows out at the 600 meter mark..cussing creatine.

I largely think it's how one trains while on any supplement to see specific increases (if any) and not magically think that taking something and bench pressing everyday will lead to increased Triathlon performance.

I do want to say that I wouldn't recommend Creatine as a supplement to an Olympic distance and above Triathlete with podium dreams (especially with a Kona taste in their mouth). It maybe beneficial if one only trains only for Sprint Tris... but that still is an endurance effort and I use the word maybe very specifically. I only use this story as an example for discussions sake and not as a fool proof example of the benfits of Creatine.

"Who cares if you're in pain...no one else does" - Ryan Lochte
Quote Reply