Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Superleague Arena games in Rotterdam
Quote | Reply
Not sure if people saw this announcement. https://superleaguetriathlon.com/...ena-games-rotterdam/

But it looks like Superleague is doing a late August arena race. Essentially from what I've pieced together they have 3 Pro men and women, and 1 up and coming dutch athlete male and female. They race a Triple Mix format, it's a swim in a 50m pool, and the bike and run legs are on smart trainers and self powered treadmills connected to Zwift. The idea is pretty interesting, not quite as cool as the ETU Lievin race in France (where they have a stadium with an indoor track and a pool, and it's a super sprint (qualifications and finals) Swim in the pool, bike and run on the track/infield...), but still an innovative hybrid of virtual and "real", and trying to have a race, and get something for people to watch that's fast and action packed, but not just avatars on a screen...
Quote Reply
Re: Superleague Arena games in Rotterdam [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
Not sure if people saw this announcement. https://superleaguetriathlon.com/...ena-games-rotterdam/

But it looks like Superleague is doing a late August arena race. Essentially from what I've pieced together they have 3 Pro men and women, and 1 up and coming dutch athlete male and female. They race a Triple Mix format, it's a swim in a 50m pool, and the bike and run legs are on smart trainers and self powered treadmills connected to Zwift. The idea is pretty interesting, not quite as cool as the ETU Lievin race in France (where they have a stadium with an indoor track and a pool, and it's a super sprint (qualifications and finals) Swim in the pool, bike and run on the track/infield...), but still an innovative hybrid of virtual and "real", and trying to have a race, and get something for people to watch that's fast and action packed, but not just avatars on a screen...

The release stated will be announcing more athletes over the next week.10 each race I think. I am not sure how this works, will the athletes all be in Rotterdam or is it TT style from their own countries?
Quote Reply
Re: Superleague Arena games in Rotterdam [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I can tell, it looks like they'll all be in Rotterdam, which likely limits the athletes to Europeans.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Superleague Arena games in Rotterdam [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how travel will be by then? Hamburg WTS and relays is supposedly the first weekend in sept still, so may be a few other athletes making their way back to Europe. Are there any countries banned from entering anywhere in Europe ?
Last edited by: chrisb12: Jul 18, 20 7:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The US is on the PNG list in a few countries, due to the rate of COVID infections...

I suspect it will be primarily Euro based athletes in the Arena games, but give that it's two weeks before Hamburg, some non-Europeans might be heading over already to get ready, so there might be a bigger pool to draw from...

And based on the Arena Games description, the athletes will all be in the arena, not competing from home (that would be problematic for the swim), and the idea of a hybrid between virtual and IRL racing...
Quote Reply
Re: Superleague Arena games in Rotterdam [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, limited to those who live and train in the area. Taylor Spivey and Richard Murray certainly aren't Europeans, but I believe they both currently live there.

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like they are also expanding in the States. Just found out that they bought a very popular race in SoCal - what used to be called Nautica Malibu tri.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure about New Zealand but Aus has an international travel ban at the moment. Our Prime Minister says no. I think NZ is the same. I believe you can apply for an exemption, assume our athletes needing to compete would classify as essential travel. Quarantining in hotel lockdown for 2 weeks on arrival back home might cause some to question the sensibility of the travel for racing within the next few months though. I have seen ITU have announced they will be holding a World Championship race later this year, date and place to be decided.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard the ITU champs will be at Hamburg - interesting if so. It’ll put folks in the odd position of shooing tens of thousands of fans away from a triathlon!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Superleague Arena games in Rotterdam [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hamburg is relay world champs and sprint WTS race. They have very ambitious weekend planned as also a marathon and long course race and I think when first announced also age group race. Way too many ppl to control in my opinion, unless only a few European countries turn up for each event. A world series and worldchamp race more similar to Euro champs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
Hamburg is relay world champs and sprint WTS race. They have very ambitious weekend planned as also a marathon and long course race and I think when first announced also age group race. Way too many ppl to control in my opinion, unless only a few European countries turn up for each event. A world series and worldchamp race more similar to Euro champs.

all the races in hamburg are cancelled at the moment its only the wts elite races that are still planned
Quote Reply