Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Superfrog cancelled for 2020 and 2021
Quote | Reply
Based on the continued mandate from the State of California in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic, the IRONMAN 70.3 SUPERFROG triathlon, originally scheduled for September 20 cannot take place in 2020. We also regret to advise that after evaluating the future viability of the event, the IRONMAN 70.3 SUPERFROG triathlon will not return in 2021. IRONMAN officials will continue to evaluate the potential for the event to return at some point in the future.

I have trained for 3 years for next months race. Was pretty disappointed to have to put it off for another year, now very disappointed.

Yes I know there is a cry like a little bitch thread; thanks.

------------------------------
The first time man split the atom was when the atom tried to hold Jens Voigt's wheel, but cracked.
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog cancelled for 2020 and 2021 [BigDig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What’s the number of IM races we have now lost forever due to COVID/future viability? Superfrog 70.3, Victoria 70.3, IM Louisville, maybe another I’m forgetting. Sucks. Victoria and Louisville were on my future to do list.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog cancelled for 2020 and 2021 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
...... Louisville was on my future to do list.

Having done IM Lou 2x in August, I was looking forward at some point to have a go at it in October. Again, very sad news.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See you all in Memphis.
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog cancelled for 2020 and 2021 [BowwwwBallll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BowwwwBallll wrote:
See you all in Memphis.

Not this year.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
What’s the number of IM races we have now lost forever due to COVID/future viability? Superfrog 70.3, Victoria 70.3, IM Louisville, maybe another I’m forgetting. Sucks. Victoria and Louisville were on my future to do list.

Are these losses really because of COVID? I’m doubtful. They just weren’t extremely popular and/or have close substitutes.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigDig wrote:
I have trained for 3 years for next months race. .

No you did not.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog cancelled for 2020 and 2021 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
BigDig wrote:

No you did not.

lol

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BigDig wrote:
Based on the continued mandate from the State of California in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic, the IRONMAN 70.3 SUPERFROG triathlon, originally scheduled for September 20 cannot take place in 2020. We also regret to advise that after evaluating the future viability of the event, the IRONMAN 70.3 SUPERFROG triathlon will not return in 2021. IRONMAN officials will continue to evaluate the potential for the event to return at some point in the future.

I have trained for 3 years for next months race. Was pretty disappointed to have to put it off for another year, now very disappointed.

Yes I know there is a cry like a little bitch thread; thanks.

Virtually the same email for SuperSeal. Race transfer options aren't very good, but it's better than losing the entry fee entirely.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog cancelled for 2020 and 2021 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
BigDig wrote:

No you did not.

Sorry I didn't put it correctly for you. Is "Three years ago I picked this race as my target race and in my mind all the training and racing since then was building up to Superfrog 2020." better?

The first time man split the atom was when the atom tried to hold Jens Voigt's wheel, but cracked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wasn’t this historically the military qualifier for Kona. If cancelled I wonder if another will take its place or they will do away with a military category.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully some of the original organizers will create the same race under new name. It was a better race before IM took over. Moving it far south near Mexico is basically swimming in a toilet. Sure the Navy would partner to allow it to be on their facilities (SWIM and Run at least) as this supports military folks. This is a perfect opportunity......
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog cancelled for 2020 and 2021 [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scca_ita wrote:
Hopefully some of the original organizers will create the same race under new name. It was a better race before IM took over. Moving it far south near Mexico is basically swimming in a toilet. Sure the Navy would partner to allow it to be on their facilities (SWIM and Run at least) as this supports military folks. This is a perfect opportunity......

also looking forward to this possibility. super seal is a super fast course, would be nice if they also made it may-september when water is warmer.
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog cancelled for 2020 and 2021 [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
scca_ita wrote:

also looking forward to this possibility. super seal is a super fast course, would be nice if they also made it may-september when water is warmer.

Superseal doesn't look promising for the future as it is probably too small for Ironman to worry about. 2021 Superseal has already been canceled. I got an email today to defer to local 2021 70.3s or Rock and Roll events.

This is on the Superseal website:

Announcement:
After further discussion and internal evaluation regarding the future of SUPERSEAL triathlon, we have come to conclusion that we cannot viably operate the event in 2021. IRONMAN officials will continue to evaluate the potential for the event to return at some point in the future. All athletes registered for the 2021 SUPERSEAL triathlon will be receiving an email with further information. If you have additional questions, please contact superseal@ironman.com.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

COVID killed races this year. Generational and economic conditions are killing future races.

Boomers are done, Gen X'ers are at the point of "I have done my IM, I'm good", Millennial's are not interested, and this sport is expensive.

I'm talking big picture, macro, generalities here so don't say...."I know this really fast millennial who races every year".................... unfortunately this sport is in decline and may price itself out of existence as far as the "Ironman" brand goes.
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog cancelled for 2020 and 2021 [Jimbotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jimbotri wrote:
synthetic wrote:
scca_ita wrote:

Superseal doesn't look promising for the future as it is probably too small for Ironman to worry about. 2021 Superseal has already been canceled. I got an email today to defer to local 2021 70.3s or Rock and Roll events.

This is on the Superseal website:

Announcement:
After further discussion and internal evaluation regarding the future of SUPERSEAL triathlon, we have come to conclusion that we cannot viably operate the event in 2021. IRONMAN officials will continue to evaluate the potential for the event to return at some point in the future. All athletes registered for the 2021 SUPERSEAL triathlon will be receiving an email with further information. If you have additional questions, please contact superseal@ironman.com.

did you not read? ironman is not triathlon. the original owners of the race (navy) can take it back and put it on again...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That blows; I was looking forward to 2021's race
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog cancelled for 2020 and 2021 [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The generational and participatory observations are sadly accurate. A similar explosion and contraction occurred in OCR.

An activity gains national recognition, people flock to it, the activity and its organizers expand to meet demand. Then, once curiosity is satisfied, the once-gaudy participation numbers fall off a cliff. All of the events that were created or expanded to accommodate those people are now no longer necessary.

The hope from an organizational standpoint is to (a) have created enough "lifetime adopters" and (b) have maintained a level of awareness to keep some incoming trickle of newbies, such that year-over-year numbers increase and warrant growth. The attendant reality is that you also have to properly manage the contraction so that the withdrawal from the space does not drive away too many early adopters and/or fence-sitters.

None of this would be easy even without a pandemic, especially for triathlon where the cost of participation, even at the bare-bones level, is significant.

The withdrawal of the IM brand from the SoCal space will hopefully allow smaller organizations with lower margins to fill that space with good quality races that attract a full local field.

IM is not triathlon, but brand recognition sure doesn't hurt.
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog cancelled for 2020 and 2021 [BowwwwBallll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BowwwwBallll wrote:
The generational and participatory observations are sadly accurate. A similar explosion and contraction occurred in OCR.

An activity gains national recognition, people flock to it, the activity and its organizers expand to meet demand. Then, once curiosity is satisfied, the once-gaudy participation numbers fall off a cliff. All of the events that were created or expanded to accommodate those people are now no longer necessary.

The hope from an organizational standpoint is to (a) have created enough "lifetime adopters" and (b) have maintained a level of awareness to keep some incoming trickle of newbies, such that year-over-year numbers increase and warrant growth. The attendant reality is that you also have to properly manage the contraction so that the withdrawal from the space does not drive away too many early adopters and/or fence-sitters.

None of this would be easy even without a pandemic, especially for triathlon where the cost of participation, even at the bare-bones level, is significant.

The withdrawal of the IM brand from the SoCal space will hopefully allow smaller organizations with lower margins to fill that space with good quality races that attract a full local field.

on that note, 1 month before superfrog there is a 70.3 race across the bay. bike course not as good, but run course definitely better.
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog cancelled for 2020 and 2021 [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

COVID killed races this year. Generational and economic conditions are killing future races.

Boomers are done, Gen X'ers are at the point of "I have done my IM, I'm good", Millennial's are not interested, and this sport is expensive.

I'm talking big picture, macro, generalities here so don't say...."I know this really fast millennial who races every year".................... unfortunately this sport is in decline and may price itself out of existence as far as the "Ironman" brand goes.

I'm siding with Rideon77. There are some huge forces at play. Besides economic forces, we have a whole generation that does "challenges" with TikTok or YouTube videos.
They also like electric wheels in various flavors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
have trained for 3 years for next months race.

Maybe you should look for a new coach
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog cancelled for 2020 and 2021 [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
BowwwwBallll wrote:

on that note, 1 month before superfrog there is a 70.3 race across the bay. bike course not as good, but run course definitely better.

If you are talking about the Chula Vista Challenge, all the Koz Events races have been cancelled for 2020 and replaced with virtual events.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog cancelled for 2020 and 2021 [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
BigDig wrote:

No you did not.

lol

Dont be pedantic pricks

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog cancelled for 2020 and 2021 [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordano wrote:
plant_based wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
BigDig wrote:

No you did not.

lol

Dont be pedantic pricks

hey man - I found that legitimately funny - look at my Strava profile and laugh too - I understand

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog cancelled for 2020 and 2021 [Klaus Daimler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Klaus Daimler wrote:
Quote:
have trained for 3 years for next months race.

Maybe you should look for a new coach

Please excuse my ignorance but how would a new coach be an improvement over my current coach?

Or to address some of the implied comments in this post, is it my coach's fault that his client is stupid and pathetic enough to have a goal race that is three years away?

Quote Reply

Prev Next