Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Superfrog Swells
Quote | Reply
Word on the street is the IB beach has been closed for the majority of the summer due to pollution. Any insight into what IM’s plan is to still execute the swim?
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog Swells [SoCalKid88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A 70.3 here last weekend across the bay cancelled the swim and replaced it with rolling 5k start. I wonder if anyone got sick last year since the sewage was spilling then too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just check their site. It's open and we are still 5 weeks out.

http://www.sdbeachinfo.com/

The only thing we need to worry about is if it rains leading up to the race and causes the TJ river to start flowing higher levels into the ocean. I have raced it the past 3 years without any issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the important part:

"The Tijuana River flows year-round in Mexico. During dry weather when flows are less than 30 million gallons a day (MGD), 100% of the sewage-impacted river water is diverted to a sewage treatment plant in Mexico. Diversion of the Tijuana River is part of a multifaceted water quality treaty between the United States and Mexico which has generally lead to significantly improved water quality along the South County coastline during the summer.
However, during significant rain events, the Tijuana River diverter is shut down allowing tens or hundreds of millions of gallons of storm water runoff, impacted with trash, sewage, and other contaminants, to enter the United States. Tijuana River flows enter the Tijuana Slough National Wildlife Refuge and associated estuary before being discharged to the Pacific Ocean, just over a mile north of the International Border. Under normal conditions, near-shore currents typically push Tijuana River flow and associated impacts south toward Mexico. The standard beach closure associated with Tijuana River flows under normal circumstances stretches from the International Border to the south end of Seacoast Drive in Imperial Beach."
Quote Reply
Re: Superfrog Swells [Mugen_EP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info... I’ve done the frog several years, but never seen IB/pier area closed throughout the summer leading into the race.

Fingers crossed for minimal rainfall over the next month. Gotta receive my annual thrashing in the superfrog swells!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a resident of IB. It is true the pollution signs have been up and down over the past few months. This is not necessarily related to rainfall.

There have been ongoing issues with a sewage on the southern side of the international border.

https://www.10news.com/...-runoff-from-tijuana

If I am not mistaken, the pollution signs were up during the expo three years ago and came down over the weekend.

http://www.sccoos.org/data/tracking/IB/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Chula vista tri I speak of there was no rain fall yet bacteria levels too high. Sometimes the military base has sewage leaks too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately the beach has been closed for the past few days. We got thunderstorms in the area late last week which probably caused the runoff. Hope it clears up by Sunday as a duathlon would be OK, but I am not excited about a bike/run.

------------------------------
The first time man split the atom was when the atom tried to hold Jens Voigt's wheel, but cracked.
Quote Reply