Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sunscreen
Quote | Reply
I am training for my first 70.3. I was wondering if any of your expierenced athletes could give your advice on sunscreen during the race. I am OCD about protecting my skin from the sun so this is something I am kind of worried about.

When and how do you apply sunscreen?

Have you found certain sunscreens work better or last longer?

Is there sunscreen at the water stations or is that somehting you have to bring yourself?

Thanks. I appreicate the help.
Quote Reply
Re: Sunscreen [SoonerBorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Messing around with sunscreen during a race sounds like a time consuming affair. I would choose a tri suit that covers as much as practical and apply a waterproof sunscreen everywhere else before the race. Sunscreen works best if it can soak in before you get in the water or start sweating. So apply before you leave for the race and maybe do a touch up when you get to the venue. Make sure you can wash your hands as it's not good to get a slippery mess on your bike.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd check the athlete guide of the race you are doing. They probably have volunteers at transitions applying sun cream but, obviously, don't leave it to chance. That's been enough for me in UK conditions so no brand to recommend from me. Think about protective clothing if it's going to be sunny, hat for the run. You are out there for a long time so, if the suns out, you will see some severe burning of people who didn't think it through
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apply sunscreen thoroughly pre race. I use a long sleeve top on the bike (Underarmour heat gear) over my tri suit. Aero, upf50, and cooling. In T2 I quickly pull it off, spray myself with a can of the continuous spray sunscreen, and head out on the run. You can apply it as you run and dump the can at the first aid station if you don’t mind wasting $10.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I liberally apply 20-30 minutes before putting on wetsuit/before getting into water.

For a 70.3 and longer I will reapply in T2. It takes 15s and is worth it for me to not get burned, premature aging, and skin cancer. I also have shaved head and like wearing a visor to keep cool. So applying to head also keeps it from getting burned.

I use Neutrogena Wet Skin spray as you can put it on wet, sweaty skin. So I figure it’s a good choice.

Sunscreen, getting burned, etc is one area I don’t want to mess around with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Zealios. I tried it at IMTX this year. It's non-greasy and seemed to do the job for the whole race, which was very sunny with little cloud cover and protection from the sun on the run course.
Quote Reply
Re: Sunscreen [andrewhtx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrewhtx wrote:
Check out Zealios. I tried it at IMTX this year. It's non-greasy and seemed to do the job for the whole race, which was very sunny with little cloud cover and protection from the sun on the run course.

2x for Zealios. My SO has an ambassador setup with them. I hate wearing most sun sunscreens but when I need some, I sneak it from her small collection and I actually don’t mind using the Zealios products. Hiking, swimming, riding, whatever she’s doing she always using it.

https://teamzealios.com
Last edited by: Ohio_Roadie: May 4, 19 11:23
Quote Reply
Re: Sunscreen [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kinesys. Used it for every ironman and only applied it at the morning. Wetsuit did not rub it off and did not reapply all day with no burn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long do you last in the sun without burning?

Some people can certainly apply once in the morning and be fine all day, but those are also usually the people who can ride 3+ hours without a singe. If you aren't the same, probably not good info.

I usually do a thorough job a couple hours before, then a re-up as late as possible so that it can soak in. If I'm out for more than ~4-5 hours, I'll gladly spend the 30 seconds to slather on some more. Sunburn sucks, cancer is worse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've found some small single use sunscreen pouches that I can leave for myself in T2 and apply as I start the run. Can toss the package at the first aid station.

My first 70.3 I wore a sleeveless suit and got really badly sun burned. After that experience I changed things up. Sun screen before, a long sleeve tri suit and some sunscreen at the beginning of the run and I was fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As another posted, KINeSYS for racing as its mechanical and protection properties seem to hold up with just one morning application.

I use Elta for training and everyday stuff as it contains zinc oxide which remains the gold standard for protection, but in my experience requires reapplication when racing/swimming.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Sunscreen [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I race in Asia and I've been caught out too many times. Never rely on the Athlete Guide - many times stated they have suncreen, but it's a bit late to find out they don't mid-race.

I do apply before the swim, then I now wear longer sleeves during the bike, then apply again T2.

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P20 for me. And a couple other buddies. And (beneath the grey in my case) we're gingers.

Apply once, half an hour before Wet suit time.
Works all day. Never been burned (and I really don't like getting burned !!) Using it in races, inc IMs.
Quote Reply
Re: Sunscreen [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
P20 for me. And a couple other buddies. And (beneath the grey in my case) we're gingers.

Apply once, half an hour before Wet suit time.
Works all day. Never been burned (and I really don't like getting burned !!) Using it in races, inc IMs.

That’s impressive. I may have to give that a shot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SoonerBorn wrote:
I am training for my first 70.3. I was wondering if any of your expierenced athletes could give your advice on sunscreen during the race. I am OCD about protecting my skin from the sun so this is something I am kind of worried about.

Is there sunscreen at the water stations or is that somehting you have to bring yourself?

Sleeved tri suit. High SPF prior to leaving for the race that morning. Then I spray another layer on during T2 (get spray on Kind for transition) Best, by far sunscreen I’ve found is nutregena brand. Just did HIM St.G and didn’t even get a hint of red.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in AZ so tanning season is year-round.
For races I use any products with zinc and titanium elements mostly, I use aerosols if it's available - something is better than nothing. I apply in transition prior to the race, and have volunteers apply as I go thru T1/T2 if needed on face ears and neck.
I would highly recommend DeSoto skincooling clothing, works amazingly well as a sun barrier and keeps you cool.
Quote Reply
Re: Sunscreen [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
SoonerBorn wrote:

Sleeved tri suit. High SPF prior to leaving for the race that morning. Then I spray another layer on during T2 (get spray on Kind for transition) Best, by far sunscreen I’ve found is nutregena brand. Just did HIM St.G and didn’t even get a hint of red.

I started wearing sleeved tri top for this reason.

off topic. How was St. G? Crazy hard? It’s on my bucket list but as a MOPer I know it won’t be easy
Quote Reply
Re: Sunscreen [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:

I started wearing sleeved tri top for this reason.

off topic. How was St. G? Crazy hard? It’s on my bucket list but as a MOPer I know it won’t be easy
It sure as hell isn't easy, but totally doable. The reward of conquering such a tough course is nice. Did it in 5:38 which for this course I was tickled pink to do. I am not a good triathlete (200lb former hockey player that can’t swim worth a shit), so anything under 6 is my goal, and on this course not dying was my goal. I recommend it for sure, but leave a day or two to recover!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use only blue lizard. Great stuff. Apply pre-race only , never been burned no matter the length of race. Very waterproof. It is great with a very high zinc level, which is what you want. But it also rubs in great. Huge points with My dermatologist too, as she highly recommends it.
Quote Reply
Re: Sunscreen [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
For a 70.3 and longer I will reapply in T2. It takes 15s and is worth it for me to not get burned, premature aging, and skin cancer. I also have shaved head and like wearing a visor to keep cool. So applying to head also keeps it from getting burned.

Totally agree with this. It really doesn't take much more than 15-30 seconds to apply sunscreen, and as much as a PR or possible podium spot is cool, f-ing up your skin long term is not worth the minimal time savings in T1/T2.

Personally, I use ELTA. Best stuff out there...

https://eltamd.com/sun-care/

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: Sunscreen [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The sun in NZ will burn you in seconds, and having lived in the UK for the first 35 years of my life where I never saw the sun I needed to be careful.
I use the neutrogena spray first thing in morning on arms, legs, shoulders. Then some invisible zinc on face and bottom of back where a gap can appear between shorts and top when on bike.

Then reapply the spray in T2 - get the change helper to just spray me on shoulders / upper arms as I'm tying shoes.

In my first IM then I tried using normal sun block lotion. This didn't go well. Got flustered, and then a bit over enthusiastic with how much was needed. Ended up with loads left on hands. Wiped on only thing I could, my black shorts. Then spent the next 4.5 hours running around looking like I was a 13 year old the day after discovering incognito mode on the internet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a factor 50 sunscreen before the race that is sports specific (sweat resistant, doesn't sting your eyes, etc). Currently using L'Oréal but plenty of other brands out there that work well.

My tri suit covers shoulders and upper arms (in my experience sleeveless suits tend to rub the sunscreen off your shoulders and you get tan/burn lines). Tail of my helmet covers my neck to where the suit starts. And I pull on a cap for the run. Has worked fine for me in 70.3s in hot races including Dubai, and I'm quite fair skinned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a Trader Joe's in your area, they have a sun screen stick that works really well. Its easy and quick enough to put on in transition (I do sub-4 minute transitions on a 70.3 and I apply to my arms and neck during each one). A lot of races have volunteers applying sunscreen, but if you burn you are at their mercy (I still have a tan from a burn I got in IM Boulder last year).

https://www.traderjoes.com/...eral-sunscreen-stick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are super concerned about your race time put an aerosol sunscreen spray can in your T2 bag. Carry it out in your hand and onto the run and spray yourself while you go to get the maximum coverage. Then toss it at the first aid station. 15 seconds saved, world champs slot assured ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spray on Banana Boat or Copper Tone Sport before heading to the race start in the morning.

It lasts forever, doesn't burn your eyes, and has lasted me through several Iron Distance races.
Quote Reply

Prev Next