Sun yang banned for 8 years - good job
Quote | Reply
https://www.google.co.nz/...ars-after-cas-ruling

Always thought the Fina ruling was ridiculous
Quote Reply
Re: Sun yang banned for 8 years - good job [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
https://www.google.co.nz/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2020/feb/28/olympic-swimming-champion-sun-yang-banned-for-eight-years-after-cas-ruling

Hell yeah!!!
Now if only WADA had pushed the issues 're Cozumel grand final and Olympics 2016...
Quote Reply
Re: Sun yang banned for 8 years - good job [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Now if only WADA had pushed the issues 're Cozumel grand final and Olympics 2016..."

Which issues were those?
Quote Reply
Re: Sun yang banned for 8 years - good job [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The one where an afleet went from bed ridden to bronze medallist in 24hrs, failed a test, and then after 10 months of ITU searching, a sufficiently large rug was eventually located (said rug natually located in the retrospective TUE issueing office).
Quote Reply
Re: Sun yang banned for 8 years - good job [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
The one where an afleet went from bed ridden to bronze medallist in 24hrs, failed a test, and then after 10 months of ITU searching, a sufficiently large rug was eventually located (said rug natually located in the retrospective TUE issueing office).
Hmm, maybe that's part one.. part 2 the Brit and the clenbut also found a rug
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:
BobAjobb wrote:

unless you're Russian or Chinese, you're not cheating.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bravo! Let's watch the fall out...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. Good point.
I wish I'd gotten into the rug wholesale business in the 1990s. I'd be minted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
https://www.google.co.nz/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2020/feb/28/olympic-swimming-champion-sun-yang-banned-for-eight-years-after-cas-ruling

Me too.

I think this just goes to show the ridiculousness of letting the sporting federations (any of them) have any say in the testing process. It should be completely controlled by WADA and the various NADA's. Let NADA's do internal competions, WADA should do international and OOC testing for everyone above a certain level.

I'm glad he's out, but my concern was never really about Sun Yang himself and more about the system that allowed him to get away with it.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Sun yang banned for 8 years - good job [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:
BobAjobb wrote:

are you kidding me? FINA was doing its damndest to protect the Russian and Chinese athletes.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Sun yang banned for 8 years - good job [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holland or Schoeman? I didn't know about this
Quote Reply
Re: Sun yang banned for 8 years - good job [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:
BobAjobb wrote:

Pretty much.
Quote Reply
Re: Sun yang banned for 8 years - good job [AS88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AS88 wrote:
Holland or Schoeman? I didn't know about this

Male for Rio
Male for cozumel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad justice was served. It's too bad clean athletes probably lost olympic medals at the drug cheat's expense.
Quote Reply
Re: Sun yang banned for 8 years - good job [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My only hope is that this is the definitive end of people posting “Sun Yang slo motion” videos on various platforms.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Sun yang banned for 8 years - good job [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy ;)

His 2019 FINA World Championship results (including 2 gold medals) stand, though. Had FINA had any balls and provisionally suspended him, there would have been urgency to resolve the issue before 2019 Worlds, and this whole thing would have been done a year ago. Instead there was plenty of incentive to drag the process out as long as possible, and Yang was rewarded for doing so.

The guy's 28 years old, and already in decline. This ban, should it stand up to appeal, effectively ends his career. Even if the ban is halved, or quartered, I doubt we see him in competition ever again.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Feb 28, 20 7:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason,
Let me translate here: To folks in Europe and North America it is only the Russians and Chinese who cheat.

JasoninHalifax wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
chrisb12 wrote:
BobAjobb wrote:

are you kidding me? FINA was doing its damndest to protect the Russian and Chinese athletes.
Quote Reply
Re: Sun yang banned for 8 years - good job [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Connor Dwyer is a convicted drug cheat also. Was on the podium in rio in the 200free
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks WADA
Thanks CAS
F**k-you FINA
Quote Reply
Re: Sun yang banned for 8 years - good job [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where schoeman has his best performances of his otherwise below mediocre career in the span of a few weeks after testing positive for prednisone for which he got a retroactive TUE. Posts on Twitter bragging about miraculous overnight recovery from illness to bronze medal only to later find out from the Fancy Bear Russian leaks that he was running on high octane that day. Some Bradley Wiggins type marginal gains shit 😂

Trirunner wrote:
"Now if only WADA had pushed the issues 're Cozumel grand final and Olympics 2016..."

Which issues were those?

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Sun yang banned for 8 years - good job [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
My only hope is that this is the definitive end of people posting “Sun Yang slo motion” videos on various platforms.

Maurice

Those should have been gone a long time ago for reasons unrelated to doping, but yeah, maybe this will put a stop to that nonsense...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Sun yang banned for 8 years - good job [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Thanks WADA
Thanks CAS
F**k-you FINA

+1

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:

Maurice

Those should have been gone a long time ago for reasons unrelated to doping, but yeah, maybe this will put a stop to that nonsense...

Jokes aside my curiosity is around what was FINA’s end game in applying what is clearly non linear punishment to this athlete? Were they protecting (in their minds) the sport? Were they protecting a pretty powerful national org or system? Just hoping this would magically go away? Did someone at FINA get paid off?

The difference between off the hook and 8 years is pretty staggering.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Sun yang banned for 8 years - good job [G. Belson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G. Belson wrote:
Where schoeman has his best performances of his otherwise below mediocre career in the span of a few weeks after testing positive for prednisone for which he got a retroactive TUE. Posts on Twitter bragging about miraculous overnight recovery from illness to bronze medal only to later find out from the Fancy Bear Russian leaks that he was running on high octane that day. Some Bradley Wiggins type marginal gains shit 😂

Trirunner wrote:

Which issues were those?

That's the Rio, Cozumels clenbuterol story was a Brit.
Quote Reply
Re: Sun yang banned for 8 years - good job [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Jokes aside my curiosity is around what was FINA’s end game in applying what is clearly non linear punishment to this athlete? Were they protecting (in their minds) the sport? Were they protecting a pretty powerful national org or system? Just hoping this would magically go away? Did someone at FINA get paid off?

The difference between off the hook and 8 years is pretty staggering.

Maurice

The Chinese are giant financial backers of FINA and, along with Russia and the UAE, are often one of a very few feds willing to pay sky high costs to hosts World Championships, World Cup meets and the like. They wouldn't have let any other country get away with trying to hide Sun's original doping violation from, IIRC, 2014. (He got something like three months and the suspension was scheduled around any meets that actually mattered)

If you want to go a little bit down Craig Lord's rabbit hole about 'the suits'

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/...chinese-controversy/
Quote Reply

Prev Next