Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Suggestions on a bike for a big guy
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'3"/215 and am looking to trade in my road bike for my first tri bike. I currently ride a 62cm Trek 2200 and its relatively comfortable. Any suggestions tips on entry/mid level tri bikes for someone of my size? Ive done a few sprints and olympics and I really need something thats comfortable enough for a half/full (my current bike isn't). Suggestions? Any brands better than others for bigger guys?
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions on a bike for a big guy [swissguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
also 6'3" here, weight in my life has varied from 215 to 175

Theres nothing much inherent about a frame that is going to make it comfortable enough for a 56 or 100 mile bike ride. All bikes are. What exactly is uncomfy currently?

It can probably be resolved with fit adjustments, tire changes, tire pressure adjustments etc.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions on a bike for a big guy [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After about 30-40 miles my lower back starts to hurt and sometimes even goes numb. What do you currently ride?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out my thread on Tiemeyer bike. I'm 6'7" and got tired of trying to fit onstock bikes. He was awesome to work with and nothing beats custom. Oh yeah and his prices are also great. If you don't want to go custom then Kestrel has some great bikes that you should consider. Ask sharad (ST handle) and he will work with you to find one that fits you. Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Zinn....everything you need!

http://zinncycles.pinnaclecart.com/index.php?p=home

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since it's your first tri bike, and I am therefore assuming you do not want to spend $5,000 plus for custom, look at the 61cm cervelo P2 or the P1. They both have longer head tubes. That is what you need if you are long legged and tall.

I am 6'7" and long legged. My first tri bike was a Cervelo Dual anf fit OK. I now have a custom Lynskey that fits better. I find the Ti more comfortable for long rides BY FAR that my Al Cervelo was.

If you can find one, the 2005 Litespeed Saber had a longish headtube and was a sweet ride. No one seems to want Ti now because carbon is much cooler. So you can get steals on old Litespeeds. Ti might also be what your back is asking for.

Now, if you are long torso'd and shorter-legged, forget all i just said about headtubes.
Last edited by: JohninMadisonWI: Oct 31, 09 17:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm 6'3"/215 and am looking to trade in my road bike for my first tri bike. I currently ride a 62cm Trek 2200 and its relatively comfortable. Any suggestions tips on entry/mid level tri bikes for someone of my size? Ive done a few sprints and olympics and I really need something thats comfortable enough for a half/full (my current bike isn't). Suggestions? Any brands better than others for bigger guys?

i hate to do this as i do not condone the people or the lack of skills or the childish group raping that these weaknuts can induce onto others but go to teamsmack.org and ask fot the yetti or tootall or even WB. WB is not above average height but he's a pro at all things cycling. yetti or as i know of her, Kelley Clarkson, is about 20' tall but i'm not sure she even knows what a tt bike is. revlon red lipstick she'll be able to fill you in on but that's about it.

and tootsie is a tall gay guy too, some weak roadie buTt to my knowledge she knows a thing or two about mascara, er, tall guy bikes.

hope that helps.

It's not about the bike, it's just along for the ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions on a bike for a big guy [roadhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
btw, WB is not in with the raping of anyone and as always, he does not fit into anything that would ever hurt anyone. he's a real pro (world ranked) and is not like the little girls that is teamsmack. he stands alone like he rides, out front and dominant.

the rest can get bent.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6"-6" here and I rode a 58cm cervelo p3c, and sometimes still do. so, the 61 size should work for you, either P3 or P2. both are fantastic bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am just about 6'4" and ride a 58cm Dual (which I guess would be considered an entry level ride) and have been considering going down to a 56cm

Ewan

Ewan

-------------------------

Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions on a bike for a big guy [_EH_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm just under 6' even and ride the 56.5 tarmac (long distance, not crits) with a 110 stem and 46 bars, race x-lites. and i proudly do so in WB's jerseys.

6'4" on a 56 would be a sight to see. but i have ridden a 50 cm trek 1000 for some many months and it wasn't so bad.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best bike for you is simply the one that fits. Simple as that. 6-3" OK. So, long legs? Long torso? The only thing some larger bikes loose is some stiffness since the tubes are so much longer. On a tri bike, that is probably not that big of a deal.

You say your current bike isn't comfy enough for a 56 mile TT, but OK for 40K? Sounds more like position than anything.

For the money, the P2C is pretty hard to beat. Good geometry for many (unlike the P3), good price, carbon (I'll leave it at that), and *fast* aero frame (I'll leave that alone as well).

Re: Suggestions on a bike for a big guy [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my sick hot ti 05 litespeed blade may go on sale after IMAZ so i can order a SHIV and wish I had my sick hot ti 05 litespeed blade
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
After about 30-40 miles my lower back starts to hurt and sometimes even goes numb. What do you currently ride?

this is just a fit issue, got nothing to do with your frame brand/type.

I currently ride a P3 aluminum size 58 tri bike, or cervelo team size 58 road bike, or a cheap aluminum "Windsor" road bike in size 59. none of them make my lower back hurt. (the cervelo team DID when I had the handlebars too low)

Last edited by: jackmott: Oct 31, 09 17:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The low back pain and numbness might be fit, might be fitness, might be due to medical issues and might be all three combined (my guess).

I am 6' 3" and two bills and have been on Ti (Litespeed Balde) since '99. I've tried others but kept this one.

KP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
6'4" on a 56 would be a sight to see

here is Rappstar, who is 6'3" (i think) on a 56 Felt DA

Ewan

-------------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:
6'4" on a 56 would be a sight to see

here is Rappstar, who is 6'3" (i think) on a 56 Felt DA

so that is the almighty Rappstar is it?

this is a 50 cross i rode for a while.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i only tossed that into the mix because i was too big for the bike as maybe at 6'3" and on a 56, it relates.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and that is my current time machine.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a bigger rider. The Cervelo P3 is a great tri-bike for the money.

09 Cervelo P3
09 Pinarello Prince
10 Stevens Carbon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at Rappstars body, a lean profesional, not an AGer who is 200+lbs, how would his bike choice have any relevance to the OP?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I'm 6'4"3/4 (195cm)

Cervelo P3 61cm
Fuji Roubaix 64cm
Cannondale SuperSix 60cm
KHS beater bike 60cm
Giant Mt Bike 24inch

Matty Reed is riding Fuji bike, he is 6'5"

J.

==============================

"Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever" - LA

==============================
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions on a bike for a big guy [Jancouver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See if this looks good for 6'4" 205lbs:

http://www.facebook.com/...415&id=711013572
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions on a bike for a big guy [Luca Brasi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
because about the only thing you would want to change on the bike as you add fatness is the seat and number of spokes on the wheel.

there isn't a mass produced bike frame out there that can't handle the extra 50lbs

In Reply To:
Looking at Rappstars body, a lean profesional, not an AGer who is 200+lbs, how would his bike choice have any relevance to the OP?

Quote Reply

Prev Next