Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Suggestions for 2015 Felt B14 upgrades
Quote | Reply
I'm going to be buying this year's B14 from a local shop this summer when they get more in stock and I was wondering what kinds of upgrades would be good to make on it. I'm currently looking for a better crankset (my friend bent his FSA crank out of shape while riding and had to replace with 105) and wheels.

Would a rear disc cover and a Vision Trimax TT (alloy) crankset be a good start? I'd love shorter crank arms, but they're a bit more difficult to come by for BB30. I looked at replacing the front brake with a Tririg Omega, but I can't rationalize paying that much for a single brake right now.

On a somewhat related note, is it possible to upgrade the fork of the bike to something a bit more aero? This isn't so much a pressing concern, just something I was curious about.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Register for Tri the Illini! Urbana-Champaign's premier sprint triathlon! Register here: http://www.fightingillinitriathlon.com/index.html
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for 2015 Felt B14 upgrades [Red X] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't waste your money with a cheap heavy aluminum crank pick up a used carbon crank for $100 on ebay or slowtwitch. Get the disc cover and a giro A2 aero helmet for around $40-$60 on slowtwitch or ebay. If you really want to get the tririg break.

IF you don't want to go the route above I would recommend saving your money and buying a power meter. I did and it is the best investment you will make in your cycling. Yes upgrading your wheels to race wheels will look cool and make you faster right away but a power meter will make you faster in the long run.

Hope this helps,

Jason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also thinking about pulling the trigger on this awesome value bike. Considering a new crank-based power meter (with new crank and Praxis chainrings), Dura Ace rear derailleur pulleys, and maybe upgrading the brakes to Ultegra (Tririg?). Throw on some deep wheels with a disc cover in back and that makes a pretty damn fast bike for quite reasonable cost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started with the 2014 B14, but the basics are the same. Focus on fit and aerodynamics.

For fit I've changed out the saddle (SMP), cranks (Vision 165), stem (generic until fit is dialed), and bars (used Felt Devox).

For aerodynamics I've added a disc cover (existing Powertap wheel), SRAM S80 front wheel, Torhans Felt VR bottle (flat kit), Torhans bento secured with Velcro, Torhans Aero30, and a cage zip-tied under the seat. I also cleaned up the cable housing to minimize extra.

A TriRig Sigma X and Omega X may be in the cards for my future, but I'll wait for some real world reviews.

For less than $3000, I have a bike that should be more than competitive for someone at my age and experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for 2015 Felt B14 upgrades [mstyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you changed your cranks, did you have to make sure you changed them to 11 spd cranks? All I can really find are 10 spd Trimax TT cranksets. Would the 10 spd work with the 11 spd chain and cassette?

Register for Tri the Illini! Urbana-Champaign's premier sprint triathlon! Register here: http://www.fightingillinitriathlon.com/index.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My '14 is 10-speed, but the difference in chainring spacing between 10 and 11 is 0.5mm according to SRAM tech docs. There is tons of anecdotal evidence of people using 10-speed cranksets and rings on otherwise 11-speed drivetrains.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's great. Thanks for the help. I'm looking for a reasonably priced Trimax carbon right now and I might also see if I can buy a front trispoke off of my friend when he sells it. Those upgrades combined with the Adamo saddle I have and a rear disc cover set me up pretty well for a while. The Torhans bottle looks like a good addition too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it possible to upgrade the fork on the B14? I know a some of the B series used to be fitted with Bayonet forks, but this year's seems to just have a regular carbon fork. Felt sells an aero fork under their spare parts. Would that fit? Are there any other options? (more out of curiosity than anything)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The Bayonet 2 is compatible with all carbon fiber Felt Tri/TT bikes that have chainstay-mounted rear brakes.

http://www.feltbicycles.com/...Steering-System.aspx

I'd be cautious, though, as this looks to use a 1" steerer and headset. The newer bikes have gone to a 1-1/8". Probably best to send a message to @SuperDave.
Last edited by: mstyer: Apr 28, 15 9:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I did was throw on a Quarq and bought some Hed wheels (90/disc). The rest is fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Red X wrote:
Is it possible to upgrade the fork on the B14? I know a some of the B series used to be fitted with Bayonet forks, but this year's seems to just have a regular carbon fork. Felt sells an aero fork under their spare parts. Would that fit? Are there any other options? (more out of curiosity than anything)

I would doubt it would work, in addition to previously mentioned change in steerer tube, the down tube now is dropped and hugs the fork's crown, I think this will be an interference on the old fork. Also the old bayonett was designed for a narrower head tube, so it would not work well aerodynamically. It would probably be slower aerodynamically.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been looking at it. I haven't really been able to find any second hand ones, but they've dropped the price significantly on their site. Is there a noticeable aerodynamic difference between the bayonet and the stock fork? That is to say, is it a worthwhile upgrade? I sent an email to Felt asking if it would fit since I can't send personal messages on here yet (is there a way to tag SuperDave here?).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for zombie thread... I have a 2015 B14, pretty much standard apart from I put some Planet X wheels (tri spoke in the front and disc at the back) and I have had a couple of fitting sessions.

Is it worth me investing in go faster parts (tri rig brakes and DEVOX bars for example with maybe tri rig scoops, 1x setup) or bite the bullet and go for a newer bike.

Really happy with my felt so far, my W/Kg is coming along nicely and would like to be at the pointy end of an IM within a couple of years.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for 2015 Felt B14 upgrades [Poldarn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That frame is about as fast as anything youre going to find out there.
Kind of depends how much $ you want to fork out for marginal gains over what you already have.
I still have an old DA4 and just bought a new B16 last year and Im actually more comfy and faster on it than the DA.
I have a HED jet plus disc and plus 9 on the front and other than that its bone stock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Similar to other poster in saying stick with the felt and upgrade bars, wheels, group set maybe. I’m on a 2013 felt DA and happy with it. Honestly I wish I had a B series so I could go with tririg bars but with integrated stem can’t do that.

There are a few posters who have “upgraded” from B/DA and have gone back. If you want a new bike go for it but a new bike won’t make you faster than optimizing your set up.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestions for 2015 Felt B14 upgrades [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback, will take your advice and spend my hard earned on some choice upgrades and a bit of wind tunnel time, will still come out may thousands ahead and should be a fairly sharp set up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh if you can get wind tunnel testing I am sure you will get more watt savings out of that than a new bike. Get a very adjustable front end, see if you can test helmets and suits and you will be in much better shape than most!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply