Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Suggestion for American Classic 420 3 replacement on QR Santo Ti Bike
Quote | Reply
I have an S&S Coupled QR Santo for many that I still like and is current with Shimano 11 and 8000 Rim Brakes. I have it with aerobars.
I'm on my 2nd pair of AC 420. I Santo use for regular recreational, multi day rides etc. I've ridden it across the country & down west coast (no camping) and am ready for new wheels. I live in NW so good wet weather braking is important. I tried a pair of the GP5000 in 28 but frame clearance was not good so switched back to the 25mm.

I do also have a Trek ALR4 with Disc brakes and Aeolus Pro V3 Carbon wheels but for long days in the saddle and decent weather still love the Santo.

Curious as to what others would suggest as a decent durable, lightweight aero wheel set with similar ~ 19+mm internal rim width, reasonably priced? I'd like something in 38 rim depth but alloy wheels all seem to be around 32 mm.

Thus far my list for this bike seem to be
Rolf Prima VIGOR Clincher
Hi-Fi Mix Tape aluminum clinchers

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestion for American Classic 420 3 replacement on QR Santo Ti Bike [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why the 19mm internal rim width?

I'd consider the HED Jet 4+. Those with some 25mm GP5000s will be amazing for long days in the saddle.

Also, for breaking in the wet consider Kool Stop Salmon pads. They instantly make the 8000 brakes outperform DuraAce.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestion for American Classic 420 3 replacement on QR Santo Ti Bike [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your needs put you in a very niche market especially the need to go 19+mm internal on 38mm depth allow rim. The issue of tire clearance and rim width is also a bit complex here because it depends on what is limiting the clearance. If the problem is causes by tire width, rather than tire height, you may be better off going for a narrower rim paired with the 28mm tire.

I have had good luck with DT Swiss rims and the the RR 511 kinda fits your needs. If you had them built with something like DT Swiss 350 hubs you would get a really solid wheel set for a reasonable price. They are a bit narrow though and if your budget stretches to the $1k+ range the other wheels you list may be better.
Quote Reply
Re: Suggestion for American Classic 420 3 replacement on QR Santo Ti Bike [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used the 19 because thats what the AC are and I know they will fit in the frame with 25 mm tires. Not sure if can go any wider. The pinch point on the frame is behind the bb side clearance. I also thought that narrower rim with wider tire wasn't good.
I'd like a 38 but have seen some in only 32 or so. Given my weight don't want a much taller due to wind.

Also wondering about the FLO 45 Carbon Clincher a little more rim but has both carbon & al braking surface.
Last edited by: BarbBikeTechie: Aug 26, 20 6:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this thread. Much needed.
Quote Reply