Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sudden Drop in Aerobic Fitness - WTF?
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

I'm supposedly in "good shape". I'm predominantly a cyclist, but flirt occasionally with Triathlon, and have been doing so for 20 years.

I'm 41, weigh 155 lbs and 5'11". I train between 7 and 14 hours / week basically all year around. For context, I did IM Tremblant in 10h50m last year.

This last week, I've noticed quite a dramatic and unprecedented loss of my aerobic capacity/fitness.

I've been using a computrainer for 6 years, and normally I have no problem whatsoever doing 270 watts for a few 20 minute tempo style intervals. I did these as recently as last week.

(during regular season, this would be ~300 watts, and if I take six weeks off, and start back up it would be ~250 watts. ...to give you and idea of the range)

(yes, I know ...I'm not a great cyclist ...but a reasonably good masters level weekend warrior)

This week; despite the fact I've been training regularly for the past few months (but by no means over-training) I can't even hold 220 watts for 8 minutes without having to stop, get off the trainer and then pant like a dog in heat.

And, I notice in simple day-to-day activities this week that I'm panting doing simple things like sweeping the floor. A leisurely walk feels like tempo. (this has never happened before)

I feel fine otherwise, just the normal fatigue associated with young kids and a busy life. The breathing is not "laboured" or difficult; but I just need to do more of it than normal.

Any thoughts on what could be wrong and what I should do? I've self diagnosed with a congenital heart defect, or anemia (using the Internet).

Thanks in advance!
David.
Quote Reply
Re: Sudden Drop in Aerobic Fitness - WTF? [david.stachon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go and see a doctor.

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you Recalibrate your computrainer ? How is Heart rate?

Quote | Reply
david.stachon wrote:

Any thoughts on what could be wrong and what I should do? I've self diagnosed with a congenital heart defect, or anemia (using the Internet).

Get an appointment with your doctor. I know its the weekend. There is no way to tell for sure what is going on with out atleast an EKG and some blood work. I will also add if you get to a point where you can't catch you breath or your having chest pain go to the emergency room. Calling your doctors nurse hot line they would tell you the same thing. Not trying to scare you. I tell that to anyone that can't catch there breath or is having chest pain.

It could be a number of things. Let your doctor do the diagnosing. While the internet is filled with tons of information using it for self diagnoses is a horrible idea. You only see symptoms, no tests to confirm and you cause self worry. Because you always go to the worse of things possible.

Donate Life. Be a super hero, Be an Organ and Tissue Donor.
Last edited by: Tipys: Feb 16, 13 8:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
david.stachon wrote:
I've self diagnosed with a congenital heart defect, or anemia (using the Internet).

Did you google lupus? It's probably lupus.
Quote Reply
Re: Sudden Drop in Aerobic Fitness - WTF? [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes sir. I run the calibration every time I use it; and good point, yes my heart rate is noticeably higher doing everything as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Sudden Drop in Aerobic Fitness - WTF? [Tipys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know you're right. Will do!

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can rule out overtraining then. Maybe a few rest days are needed. I noticed I notice when I do a lot of running (like now) my power drops off . But I never had the power you do to begin with :0)

Quote | Reply
Did you change your diet or lifestyle? Is it possible that you have an iron deficiency?

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar thing happen about 18 months ago. I wouldn't feel terrible when doing normal activities, but my athletic performance was shot to hell. It happened very suddenly (a couple of days after a PB half marathon). It often felt like I wasn't getting enough air, even though there was nothing stopping me from sucking in as much as I needed.

It took a long time to sort out, but the gist of it was I had both:
a) an iron deficiency; and (worse)
b) a low level, lingering chest infection.

The iron deficiency (ferritin as opposed to anemia) was cleared up quickly with supplements. I now supplement my iron on and off during periods of hard training.

The chest infection was much harder to treat, as it took about 3 months before my Dr. worked out that I even had one! I didn't have any of the usual symptoms of (say) bronchitis (no coughing, no laboured breathing, etc...). It was only after I brought out a small amount of goo that she decided to work that angle.

Long story short, I had a very low level bacterial infection that wasn't bad enough to make me sick, but was bad enough to kill my performance. A long course of antibiotics cleared it up, and I've been a million bucks since.

Cadel Evans had a similar (although viral) infection during last year's TdF.

Go to the doctor. Post haste.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, at least you're back down to my level.

Quote | Reply
kvigor wrote:
david.stachon wrote:
I've self diagnosed with a congenital heart defect, or anemia (using the Internet).

It's never lupus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the temperature in your training environment change or did you change what you are wearing?

The effect of temperature when riding indoors is definitely underappreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you gone to the doctor? Do you have any news?

I'm just this guy ya know?
Quote Reply
Re: Sudden Drop in Aerobic Fitness - WTF? [blanco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To the OP....hey we must have crossed paths at some point on the Tremblant course. Go get yourself checked out for sure and hope all is well. You mentioned other activities outside of the CT showing problems, so it sounds like it has nothing to do with machine calibration or environment. Also, do you have any stomach problems...if you are bleeding from an ulcer and not knowing it this can be like reverse EPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Sudden Drop in Aerobic Fitness - WTF? [kvigor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotta agree with House. It's never lupus.
But seriously, and I'm a doctor, lupus presenting at 41 yrs of age in a male is way way down the list of differentials.
More likely some post viral syndrome or even something like mononucleosis.
Endocrine stuff like thyroid also possible but unlikely to be this sudden in onset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
David, please let me know what you find out.
I experienced a similar, dramatic drop in aerobic capacity during a 50k trail race last year. I have had a echo cardiogram, stress echo cardiogram, pulmonary function test, pulmonary stress test, and numerous blood tests and NO clue yet. When symptoms come on, HR goes up and capacity for work goes down. Used to happen 12-28M into a run, and now I can't run 2-3M without symptoms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fibromyalgia. "There can be no cure until there's a disease!"

Hope you feel better.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Sudden Drop in Aerobic Fitness - WTF? [jimvano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimvano wrote:
David, please let me know what you find out.
I experienced a similar, dramatic drop in aerobic capacity during a 50k trail race last year. I have had a echo cardiogram, stress echo cardiogram, pulmonary function test, pulmonary stress test, and numerous blood tests and NO clue yet. When symptoms come on, HR goes up and capacity for work goes down. Used to happen 12-28M into a run, and now I can't run 2-3M without symptoms.

What are they? Something more than fatigue?
Quote Reply
Re: Sudden Drop in Aerobic Fitness - WTF? [kvigor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

My money is on rhabdo

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Sudden Drop in Aerobic Fitness - WTF? [Pedalhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@Pedalhead, symptoms are HR jumps up for same speed, or speed goes down for same HR. Happened infreq. before race and I would feel great the next day and could run again without problems.
Since race: resting HR is in low 50s still - that hasn't changed. But speeds at aerobic sweet spot (65% of max) and at lactate threshold (87%) are way slower than normal. Speed at particular HR drops more after 20-30 min.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimvano wrote:
@Pedalhead, symptoms are HR jumps up for same speed, or speed goes down for same HR. Happened infreq. before race and I would feel great the next day and could run again without problems.
Since race: resting HR is in low 50s still - that hasn't changed. But speeds at aerobic sweet spot (65% of max) and at lactate threshold (87%) are way slower than normal. Speed at particular HR drops more after 20-30 min.

Your doc will likely order a complete blood cell count (CBC) with differential white cells to rule in/out anemia or infection.
Quote Reply
Re: Sudden Drop in Aerobic Fitness - WTF? [Pedalhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not just the OP but for everyone out there - follow the "get it checked with your Doc" advice. Lots of possibilities - most easy fixes but a few nasties that you don't want to NOT find out about. I had the same symptoms 5 years ago (male age 45). Normally don't bother going to the Doc unless I'm on deaths doorstep. Turns out I was! Blood pathology showed low iron so Doc sent me for for the "double oscopy". Bowel cancer! Apparently an aggressive tumor too so if I'd just soldiered on there's a good chance I wouldn't be torturing my wife by taking up triathlons (she hates all the gear i buy!). All my similar aged friends then got checked as well and one had very early signs so happy days for him. The lesson : Listen to your body!
Quote Reply
Re: Sudden Drop in Aerobic Fitness - WTF? [gunsbuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@Pedalhead and Gunsbuns, all blood work clean. Iron good, no sign of infection.

I am doing as much research as possible, including reaching out to others who might have experienced something similar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great news! (sort off). If you're training hard could be some sort of fatique issue. Try putting your feet up for a while :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next