Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sub 5 Hr Bike Split on < 200 watts [sesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh don't misunderstand me I would LOVE to race at that weight....big time. I'm just wondering how I could. I'm not lean at any stretch, probably fat compared to some of the stallions in here, 12% about 2 months ago...but at 6'1" 180 I don't know how I could get down there and not die:/
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 5 Hr Bike Split on < 200 watts [Recall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went 5:07 at the Esprit, Montreal, very flat, very smooth, very accurate, zero climb, (42 hairpin bends, one per lap)

Weight 180, 6'1" (on a good day) and I sure as hell don't go over 200w at my age. Position isn't aggressive, bikes a dual with a wheelcover.

So the answer must be yes. Sub 5 on 200w should be doable.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 5 Hr Bike Split on < 200 watts [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

To the poster who said, "you get all those stored joules back", you're right, you get some of them back, just not all, so my implied calculation for a sub 150W ride for a 5 hour ride is off. Climbing Richter and Yellow lakes you're going at 15-20kph and coming down you're ripping at 60-80 kph. There's a shitload of your stored potential energy joules blowing up in the wind....maybe not all of them, but most of them.

You still get them back, all of them.

Erik
Strava
Last edited by: mcdoublee: Dec 10, 10 16:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Without turning this into a thread about racing weight, being really light will obviously reap greater rewards at hillier races. If I'd been 4 lbs heavier at Austria, which is a fast course, those 4lbs would not have made a huge difference. Contrast that to a course like IM France, where extra weight is a BIG liability, 4lbs would cost more time.

I'd rather obsess about my position and equipment rather than weight. Same with the weight vs aerodynamics argument. Stuff the weight and go with the most aerodynamic option.

Weight is pretty important.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it would be very possible, but you have to be small and/or thin with a good bike setup. For a data point I did IMCDA in 5:18 on 188A/197N @150lbs(5'7) in a good position/great gear
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 5 Hr Bike Split on < 200 watts [mcdoublee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Energy yes. Relative energy, no. Which was the original point.

---------------------------------------------
Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding it hurts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Energy yes. Relative energy, no. Which was the original point.

Most bike riders don't ride nearly fast enough to be worrying about relativistic effects.

Erik
Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 5 Hr Bike Split on < 200 watts [mcdoublee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sub 5 hours is doable but would have a great dependency on your weight, size, and aerodynamics.

If you are 60kg, your golden. If your 80kg.... you need to train harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
There is actually a guy on here who did that at Austria. He posted a race report from Kona as well showing his frontal and it ain't much....tiny. I remember looking at that and thinking 'wtf?'. He has a sick position!

Here. Norm power of 185w at Austria for a 4:58 split. I raced Austria really light at around 132lbs (height 5'9). Pic below is from Kona this year, with an identical position to Austria.

Kona was norm power 192w for a 5:05 split, but I was heavier at ~136lbs.

When comparing power to bike speed, average power is what you want to use, not NP. It's AP that actually moves you down the road, not the theoretical construct known as NP.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Add me to the list. Did a 4:49 in Feb '09, no PM at the time...I've had a SRM since June this year and I can tell you without doubt there is no way I averaged 200W for that ride.

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uhhh yea, especially at Florida

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbLbHfj7CNY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the below link entering in my data and got a est time of 4:55, although I am not sure how accurate the calculator is and it assumes a flat course.

http://bikecalculator.com/veloMetric.html

I may have been faster with less watts without the flats in the first 15km of IMC which didn't give me the benefit of Dev's much loved draft in the first 60kms
Last edited by: pokey: Dec 10, 10 18:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did 4'59 at IMFL this year, not in a pack (I know everyone says that) was a bit windy averaged 188 watts. I am 5'10 and was 154 lbs for that race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I can ask another question to this thread....if a rider does 5 hour off 200, how fast would the same rider go for 220W. Is 4:40 reasonable? Would the same rider be able to do 4:30 for 235W?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Analyticcycling.com will give you your answer. I would expect the answer is no, due to the relationship between speed and power. I don't think 5 hrs off of 200 W is that difficult to achieve. 4:30 off of 235 W isn't realistic though. At least, the math doesn't seem so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure you get that time back. Dev but then they are called grandkids ;o) For the record most of my ten years of inactivity was hanging out with mine. but then again i think i might have screwed them up more being aroud so much .LOL
I agree the SRM must have been off or not zeroed out. Either that or a lot of drafting/coasting.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Maybe I can ask another question to this thread....if a rider does 5 hour off 200, how fast would the same rider go for 220W. Is 4:40 reasonable? Would the same rider be able to do 4:30 for 235W?
For a rider who takes 5:00 at 200W, I get roughly 4:45 at 220W and 4:38 at 235W. The extra power needed to take the same amount of time off starts to go up quite steeply as you get faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 5 Hr Bike Split on < 200 watts [Fooshee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you think that 235W is reasonable for a small rider to do a 60 min 40k ITT and the same rider takes 1.06.42 for a 40 TT at 200W? An example would be someone like Sesel pictured earlier in this thread?
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 5 Hr Bike Split on < 200 watts [Little5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh don't misunderstand me I would LOVE to race at that weight....big time. I'm just wondering how I could. I'm not lean at any stretch, probably fat compared to some of the stallions in here, 12% about 2 months ago...but at 6'1" 180 I don't know how I could get down there and not die

Think you need to work for UPS get in a plane crash and name a volley ball wilson ;o)

Re: Sub 5 Hr Bike Split on < 200 watts [Steve Irwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Steve...it cost me 235 average Watts to do a 2:15 bike split for 88.5K at Demi Esprit....arguably this course also involves a fair amount of slingshotting past slower riders, so you're getting a legal draft. That's around a 4:35 on the same course if I could keep up the effort which obviously I cannot. But I just wanted to get a feel if I could get close to a 5 hour bike split off just under 200W on a PANCAKE flat course with little wind with my current setup. What you're saying based on this is that the answer is "close". By the way, I was 138 lbs for that half IM at just over 5'6".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Sub 5 Hr Bike Split on < 200 watts

Jordan Rapp yes, nickwhite probably not. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What wheel were you in the paceline there? 3rd? 3 back riding a legal 7m will save you 30-40 watts.

Rob Raulings
My AeroCalc - http://aerocalc.triathlete.com.au/aerotools/ - Blog http://fishboy.triathlete.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 5 Hr Bike Split on < 200 watts [juha-pdx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why not?

I'm 5'11, 137lbs did IMC in 5.37 on 168w two years ago comfortably & conservatively and I could have been alot more aero.

"alot" is not a word

5.37 on 168w is PDG

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Uhhh yea, especially at Florida

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbLbHfj7CNY

That was the view I had at mile 50 at IM COZ '10. The super ultra cool thing was, 2 minutes later, a race official zoomed up solo on a scooter, went *into* the offending pack, whipped out his iPhone and started taking pictures of drafters! He made 4 people put a foot down right there. Then just up ahead about 5 miles, there was a sin bin after an aid station. He told 8-10 people that he was radioing ahead their numbers, and they had to straddle their bikes for 4 minutes there! AWESOME! Put a huge smile on my face. I was in my own bike world for about 5 minutes up to that point, working it on my own, when I had heard that buzzing pack coming from behind, and I felt so cheated at that moment. But yeah, sure looked familiar from your video. Oh yeah, the sin bin- omigosh! It was full to the brim with drafters, literally overflowing one of the 10'x10' tents! I would say there were 30 people at least in there. SWEET!

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
There is actually a guy on here who did that at Austria. He posted a race report from Kona as well showing his frontal and it ain't much....tiny. I remember looking at that and thinking 'wtf?'. He has a sick position!

Here. Norm power of 185w at Austria for a 4:58 split. I raced Austria really light at around 132lbs (height 5'9). Pic below is from Kona this year, with an identical position to Austria.

Kona was norm power 192w for a 5:05 split, but I was heavier at ~136lbs.

When comparing power to bike speed, average power is what you want to use, not NP. It's AP that actually moves you down the road, not the theoretical construct known as NP.

Ok. I ride with a pretty low VI though so the numbers aren't hugely different.

IM Austria - Av 178w, norm 185w (VI 1.04)
IM Hawaii - Av 187w, norm 192w (VI 1.03)

There are a few differences in equipment between those two races. Used Spiuk Kronos and Hed Jet 90/Disc at IMA compared to RP Wingspan and Hed Jet 60/90 in Kona.

VALÄ’RE | YouTube
Quote Reply

Prev Next