Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sub 5 70.3 in 1.5 month
Quote | Reply
How to structure training for Sub 5 with one month of training. 2 years ago i had 5:46 with basically no swim or bile training. I have good running background with 15:23 5k and 1:12 stand alone half marathon. I was thinking ofdoing about 150-200 miles biking and about 3 swims for the next 1.5 months. Any tips or recommendation on workouts?
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 5 70.3 in 1.5 month [Hmart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmart wrote:
How to structure training for Sub 5 with one month of training. 2 years ago i had 5:46 with basically no swim or bile training. I have good running background with 15:23 5k and 1:12 stand alone half marathon. I was thinking ofdoing about 150-200 miles biking and about 3 swims for the next 1.5 months. Any tips or recommendation on workouts?

That's a ridiculous goal for your timeframe. What is your swim and bike background? Swimming takes time to ingrain good form. Biking takes time in the saddle to develop power. Just because you can run doesn't mean much if you have no background in the other two sports.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 5 70.3 in 1.5 month [Vegan Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year I biked 56 mile in 2:45 and 35 for 1.2 swim with about 3 weeks of actual training. I usually do a few bike rides as cross train. My weakest is the swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim as many times a week as possible (frequency>mileage for you at this point), bike twice with a short run off the bike each time, and keep your running training as-is.

Fake it 'til you make it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmart wrote:

Not sure how you did a 5.46 when you run 1.12 for a HM. Maybe you're a really slow swimmer/biker? If your swimming and riding is OK, you should be able to piss it in. Most guys I know running those times would go 1.16 - 1.20 - for a 70.3 run. 35/40 mins for an average swimmer, 5 mins for transition x 2, leaves you 3 hours for the ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 5 70.3 in 1.5 month [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I don' understand the times either.

So key is not to over bike, otherwise you won't be able to run. So lets say you're going to run a 1:25. That leaves 3:25 for bike and swim after two fairly mediocre transitions on a normal course.

40min swim, leaves 2:45 for the bike. Which is perhaps where things get a bit tight. The thing is that it would be better for you to ride 2:50 and try to run faster than try to push 2:45 and then not be able to run.

But back to your question, sorry, you can't get HIM bike fit from cold to race in 6 weeks. You can do some stuff, but biggest thing you can do is get used to holding the aero position.

Swim - doesn't matter how long, but swim 3+ times a week, ideally with a squad will drop 5mins+ off your swim time. I used to do the same thing, swimming never improved, so tried all manner of approaches from swimming 10km a week in the pool to nothing until Ironman race week and the times hardly varied by a minute. But then I spent 3 months doing 1hr tuesday, thursday squads and 90min saturday with bonus technique swim on a Friday night. And my times tumbled from 2:10 to 1:35/100m (ok, in 3 month sit was more 1:45, but stuck with it and after a while was 1:35 CSS - may have been 6+ months to 1:35).
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 5 70.3 in 1.5 month [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what do you mean by squads? (group/masters swim?)
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 5 70.3 in 1.5 month [curdog16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
curdog16 wrote:
what do you mean by squads? (group/masters swim?)

Yep. group of people swimming in lanes following the instructions of a coach.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 5 70.3 in 1.5 month [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
But back to your question, sorry, you can't get HIM bike fit from cold to race in 6 weeks. You can do some stuff, but biggest thing you can do is get used to holding the aero position.

Agreed, but we really know too little. A beginner won’t become “70.3 fit” in six weeks but he could make significant gains, especially with regard to fatigue resistance of the muscles. We also don’t know if the OP will be racing in an aero position.

What I would focus on regardless of the actual swimming and cycling ability is nutrition. Decide on a nutrition and hydration strategy and test it in race pace-based workouts, then tweak it or change it altogether as needed, test again, etc. Find out what will be available in feed stations and test the products if possible. Very fit people can suffer immensely in the last 2 hours of a 70.3 if they haven’t gotten this right.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 5 70.3 in 1.5 month [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Curious….you are setting yourself a BIG goal, taking 45 minutes off your PB. Why would you make it harder for yourself by waiting until 6 weeks out to start training??

I would not get overly focussed on a time goal at this point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any reason for the 1.5 month timeframe or is that just when your race happens to be? Why not start training earlier? You said you swam 35 & biked 2:45 but finished in 5:46? If those splits are from the race & not just where you got to in training then you ran over 2 hours with a stand alone 1:12? I have about the same running PRs (just a little slower) & ran 1:18 in my 1st 70.3.

Sub-5 should be very doable but there aren't really short cuts to this thing. How long is a typical half marathon or marathon build for you? You should really spend 12 weeks or more getting ready for a 70.3, especially with a sub-5 time goal. At a minimum, try to do 3 of each activity/week. Maybe scale back the running to focus on the swimming/biking. Your gains are going to be made on the bike & how well you can run off of the bike. 35 isn't a slow swim. It's not going to make/break sub-5. & it might take a year or two of good swim training to go under 30:00. Not a lot of bang for your buck there. I would focus on building up your bike endurance. Ride at least 3 days/week but more if you can. Ride outdoors. Build up your long ride to at least 3 hours. Do bike workouts. Run off of hard/long bike sessions. Do that every time, even if it's just a 3 or 4 mile easy run.

I think something holding back a lot of amateur triathletes is running to their potential. So many can throw down fast bike splits but either take the bike too hard or don't train for the run on tired legs. It's different to do running workouts fresh. In good triathlon training, almost none of your running should come on fresh legs. Run as your 2nd (or 3rd) activity of the day.

Also make sure to have a good nutrition plan. It maybe sounds like you didn't eat enough in your 5:46 if a 1:12 runner can't go well under 2 hours. I would expect sub-1:30 even on a bad day. A lot of 70.3s have warm weather so think about pacing too. You should probably be 75-80 at the end of a 70.3 but if it's 70 or 80 out then that changes to 80-85+.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
years ago, dave scott published a 6-week half/full crash course schedule in insidetriathlon. (like literally mid-90s.) i used it for my first half when i was a teenager, and have used it a few times since. there are parts of it i'd modify, but i dunno . . . it's a solid template. enjoy:

The Schedule
Six-week crash course for half Ironman and Ironman athletes
Looking back at last year's Ironman race, the training prerequisite for my preparation was to be systematic and consistent. A regular long run and ride, high anaerobic threshold (AT) sets and a bit of speedwork mixed into the weekly routine was the initial plan. However, as the summer rapidly passed, the looming reality was that the Ironman was seven weeks away and I was not even close to the physical status that I had envisioned and outlined in my preliminary yearly written schedule. So plan B was put into motion.
Carefully monitoring adequate recovery days, but implementing some systematic changes in my schedule, allowed for rapid physiological improvement and ultimately the ability to race fit and fast in seven weeks.
The desirable variables in this secondary plan included:
a) a long day -- twice a month;
b) long brick day with race-tempo efforts;
c) AT sessions on hills and flats for the bike and run, combining time trials and long and short repetition repeats;
d) speedwork at a pace faster than the ultimate race pace;
e) rest days and recovery periods.
Now, this may not look any different than what you have been doing, however, the tweaking of the variables within these workouts is the key to rapid improvement. Simply, prescribing an exercise protocol that is not routine, yet one that requires a more variable and faster muscle-recruitment stimulus will hopefully net greater improvement over less time. Let's take a look at the essential ingredients for this seven-week program.
The long bike- and run-day must be a primarily longer, low-intensity effort. This will be incorporated on the odd weeks (1, 3, 5) at approximately 25 to 35 heart rate beats below AT. Half-Ironman racers need two steady-pace efforts of 20 minutes (add two minutes each time). One should be done near the end of the entire workout at a pace that is equal to your race pace (approximately eight to 12 beats below AT). This workout will stimulate the aerobic system but additionally will create a stimulus for a fast race pace and psychologically enhance your race preparation. For a half-Ironman athlete the total time of the workout will increase 10 percent/session up to the race distance or slightly longer. So, in one week the total time or distance is 20 percent less than your estimated run finishing time or approximately 10.6 to 11.9 miles. Week three run is 11.9 to 12.8 miles and week five run is 13 to 14 miles.
The half-Ironman workout for the bike includes two 24-minute rides (add three minutes on odd weeks). One should be done at the beginning and one should be done at the end. The intensity for these 24-minute sessions is approximately 1-2 mph slower than half-Ironman race pace with every fourth minute 1 to 2 mph faster than race pace. Heart rate will be approximately eight to 12 beats below AT for three minutes than at AT for one minute and repeating. The starting distance is 20 percent less than race distance on week one, 10 percent on week three and race distance or slightly higher on week five (week one, 45 to 50 miles; week three, 52 to 58 miles; week five, 56 to 63 miles).
The long swim day is composed of a long freestyle swim, progressive in distance for the half Ironman to 30 percent above race distance. Week one equals race distance (1.2 miles or 2100 yards); week three equals 10 percent over or 2300 yards; week five equals 20 percent over or 2600 yards. Included within each segment, the final 400-600-800 yards should be at the predicted half-Ironman race pace. The rest of the swim is approximately eight to 10 seconds/100 slower than predicted pace. On the even weeks the half-Ironman athlete incorporates a broken swim session equal distance as above at a faster intensity. Week two's set is 3 X700, rest interval (RI) 30 seconds at three to four seconds/100 slower than race pace. Week four equals 3x600, RI. Twenty-five seconds at one to two seconds/100 slower than race pace, then a final 500 at race pace. Week six equals 3 X 500, RI. Twenty seconds at race pace, then 11x100, RI. Ten seconds at one to two seconds/100 slower than race pace. Total workout time: half-Ironman = 75 minutes; Ironman = 90 minutes.
The Brick day for the bike/run segment is done on the even weeks. The distance is 75 percent of the long day from the previous week. Week two equals 75 percent of 45 and 50 miles (34 to 38). Week four equals 75 percent of 52 and 58 miles (39 and 44). Week six equals 75 percent of 56 and 63 miles (42 and 48). Within the bike segment include one 30-minute session. Week two, every sixth minute at race pace with the last six minutes above race pace. Week four every fifth minute up to 20 minutes at race pace then last 14 minutes above race pace.
The Brick day run for half-Ironman equals 75 percent of the previous week. Week 2 equals 75 percent of 10.6 to 11.8 miles (8 to 8.9). Week four equals 75 percent of 11.9 to 12.9 miles (8.9 to 9.7). Week six equals 75 percent 13 to 14 miles (9.75 to 10.5). The last six minutes, 10 minutes, and 14 minutes (respective weeks) is done at slightly faster than half-Ironman race pace. All other time is steady at 18 to 24 beats below AT heart rate.
There should only be a two- to three-minute transition between the bike and run. This workout is lengthy but, more importantly, simulates race conditions physically and psychologically.
AT sessions, half-Ironman and Ironman Bike, even weeks. This is a higher-intensity session doing a VG pattern of your choice. This workout must include 50 percent of the total time in your TT gear (race specific muscle demand). The repetitions are spaced with a short RI of 20 seconds between repeats. The recoveries should be done going downhill to allow a faster drop in the pulse rate. Due to the RI, the overall intensity is higher than the odd-week session. The Ironman athlete may wish to do only one session per week. Total workout time: Half-Ironman = 60 to 90 minutes; Ironman = one to two hours.
AT sessions, half Ironman and Ironman bike, flat Course. Weeks one to four on a flat course use the identical VG pattern as the hill segment. Weeks five and six do a steady TT using 75 percent TT gear. Half Ironman: 40 minutes at HR 8 to 12 beats below AT. Ironman: 75 minutes -- 50 percent at eight to 12 beats below AT; 50 percent at 12 to 20 beats below. Total workout time: Half Ironman = 90 minutes to 2 hours; Ironman = two to two and a half hours.
AT session, half Ironman and Ironman run, odd weeks. Twenty-minute hill sessions last 30 seconds of every two minutes at AT. The rest is at eight to12 beats below. Include a steady effort if possible or 10 two-minute sessions with no longer than 45 seconds RI. Total workout time = 90 minutes for both Ironman and half Ironman.
AT sessions, half Ironman and Ironman run, Even Weeks. Half Ironman and Ironman athletes tempo run (30 minutes) at eight seconds/km slower from 10km. Total workout time = half Ironman, 50 minutes; Ironman, 70 minutes.
Swimming (same for half Ironman and Ironman athletes). Do four AT sessions per week. Two can be completed on the same day. The sessions include 20 to 30 minutes total time, RI five to 30 seconds. 1) Session I is a straight set with a set RI, i.e. 15 X 100 with 15 seconds. 2) Session II -- Straight swim for eight to 10 minutes X 3, RI 30 seconds. 3) Longer reps of three to seven minutes, i.e. 2 X 6 + 2 X 4 + 2 X 3, RI 20 seconds. 4) Short reps of 30 seconds to two minutes, 40 x 50, RI five seconds. Note: repeat times and RI vary the tempo within each set except number two.
Rest. Total rest day(s) or easy days of 20 to 30 minutes.
Once you have completed the six-week crash course, you're ready. Take a one-week taper by reducing your volume 70 percent, eliminating all but one speed and one A.T. session/discipline for the third and fourth day rest or day five, easy session day six, and the best race of your life on day seven. This program not only works for this time of the year, but could be implemented two or three times during the season. Good luck with your schedule; the best results are ahead.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 5 70.3 in 1.5 month [cherry_bomb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a last minute race with friends.when i raced 5:46, I ran like 2:11 lol. I was dead by the run which is why i need a plan to structure bike and swim training. I know that if i get get to the run with decent leg energy I can run a good run split because thats what I mostly train. Obviously I dont expect to run 1:12 run split but i think 1:25 is doable with proper pacing/ training on bike and run. I started training this week swim and bike but really dont have any structure. I just hop on the bike and go haha. Based on the power meter I seem to be avg just above 200 watts for about 1.5-2 hours them go for a 6-8 mile run in mid to low 6 minute mile pace. For swim basically same thing just hop in the pool and do laps. I dont come from a swim or bike background so im not sure what type of workouts to do. Im in the middle of track season so my overall fitness/vo2 is pretty good at the moment if that helps with any training output.
Last edited by: Hmart: Feb 20, 22 6:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vegan Tri wrote:
Hmart wrote:

That's a ridiculous goal for your timeframe. What is your swim and bike background? Swimming takes time to ingrain good form. Biking takes time in the saddle to develop power. Just because you can run doesn't mean much if you have no background in the other two sports.

I agree.

1:12 open half marathon is a really respectable time but it doesn't mean anything to someone that isn't an experienced rider.

To go under 5 a person needs
A mid 35 min swim
Under 2:30 bike that feels easy
1:45 or better run

To many here that's not difficult but for someone just breaking 5 it's a big deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looked up some results from a really fast HIM distance race (Esprit, Montreal 2019 https://www.sportstats.ca/...4&status=results )

It really isn't that hard to break 5 hours if you have a decent run. Heck if I could run a 1:45 off the bike I could break 5 ... and I'm old.
So assuming on a bad day you can run 1:30 'ish that leaves 3:30 to play with.

Really slow swim (for your age and aerobic/athletic ability) 40 mins ( I assume wetsuit legal), that leaves a 2:20 bike. How close are you to either?

Whichever one of those you can't do you need to work on. With your background you only need to run once a week to maintain the ability on top of your increased aerobic fitness from the run-bike program.

Don't forget you have transition as well, so that comes of the run allowance, so don't hang about.

Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 5 70.3 in 1.5 month [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
Duncan74 wrote:

Agreed, but we really know too little. A beginner won’t become “70.3 fit” in six weeks but he could make significant gains, especially with regard to fatigue resistance of the muscles. We also don’t know if the OP will be racing in an aero position.

What I would focus on regardless of the actual swimming and cycling ability is nutrition. Decide on a nutrition and hydration strategy and test it in race pace-based workouts, then tweak it or change it altogether as needed, test again, etc. Find out what will be available in feed stations and test the products if possible. Very fit people can suffer immensely in the last 2 hours of a 70.3 if they haven’t gotten this right.

If the OP isn't in an aero position (not worried about if it's slowtwitch approved level of aero, just well supported) then there isn't a lot of chance that they will be able to ride, then run at a pace to get under 5. Hence the notion of spending 6 weeks to develop the ability to be in that position. I just don't see someone without a cycling background riding upright at a pace to be able to then run a fast half marathon on fatigued legs and knackered core.

Also, occurred to me that the HM time posted is all well and good, but there's no marathon time posted. So I'm also wondering if there's any endurance base of sessions longer than 1.5-2 hours. Again more of a negative nelly type of question as it doesn't help with a way forward.

But in 6 weeks you can learn what your FTP is and then work out how far under that you need to be in order to be able to run. The not secret to middle and long distance triathlon is that it's all about the bike, but not in the way many think. You don't have a good race because you go quick on the bike, you go quick because you come off the bike feeling fresh.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 5 70.3 in 1.5 month [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
Looked up some results from a really fast HIM distance race (Esprit, Montreal 2019 https://www.sportstats.ca/...4&status=results )

It really isn't that hard to break 5 hours if you have a decent run. Heck if I could run a 1:45 off the bike I could break 5 ... and I'm old.

Really slow swim (for your age and aerobic/athletic ability) 40 mins ( I assume wetsuit legal), that leaves a 2:20 bike. How close are you to either?

Whichever one of those you can't do you need to work on. With your background you only need to run once a week to maintain the ability on top of your increased aerobic fitness from the run-bike program.

Don't forget you have transition as well, so that comes of the run allowance, so don't hang about.

Good luck

Hilarious for you to say it "isn't really that hard" and you could do it if you weren't old. Lmao.

Breaking 5 hours does require being sound in all disciplines and hitting transitions with efficiency. Some T1's can add 5-10 minutes like Des Moines 70.3 with a 0.65 mile barefoot run in T1.

Other variables like a crowded swim course or wetsuit vs. non wetsuit are huge factors especially for someone with less experience.

The OP needs to revisit his goal. Breaking 5:30 would be a huge improvement in 6 weeks. Breaking 5 hours is totally unrealistic in that time frame.

It's even more comical they ran a 2 hour HM with a 1:12 stand alone HM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vegan Tri wrote:
michael Hatch wrote:

Good luck

Hilarious for you to say it "isn't really that hard" and you could do it if you weren't old. Lmao.

Breaking 5 hours does require being sound in all disciplines and hitting transitions with efficiency. Some T1's can add 5-10 minutes like Des Moines 70.3 with a 0.65 mile barefoot run in T1.

Other variables like a crowded swim course or wetsuit vs. non wetsuit are huge factors especially for someone with less experience.

The OP needs to revisit his goal. Breaking 5:30 would be a huge improvement in 6 weeks. Breaking 5 hours is totally unrealistic in that time frame.

Well if you had looked at the results of the "really fast" HIM I posted, you would have seen my HM time at 2:15 with a 5:30 finishing time (including 9 minutes of Transition time, I was dawdling). He's a 1:12 runner and I'm 2 hr runner. You then threw in a whole bunch of what ifs and whatabouts having ignored my comment about a REALLY FAST HIM course (really really short Transition etc), including whether or not it's wetsuit, also covered in my post. As for the OPs "comical" 2 hr HM, obviously he blew up and did a bit of walking on a bad day and he was honest about it. Perhaps you've never had one, most real honest humans do. Post a few results and stand alone PBs along with training times height, weight and previous triumphs and some others will be happy to discuss what's comical.

So do me a favour, read all the words before you laugh at something or someone. Especially someone.

I don't know how old this OP is I'm assuming he's younger than the 71 that I was when I posted that time in 2019 .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick breakdown and follow-up to michael Hatch's analysis above. (MH, I think you had a math error on the bike time.

I assumed a reasonable transition at 5 minutes per plus a 45 minute swim. That leaves you with a 2:35 bike, which is pretty fast for most people. To get there, you will need a highly optimized bike and position. And, you will need to ride hard which could jeopardize your run. Do-able on a short window, but low probability. If you could do a wetsuit swim and pull your swim down to 40, then that would give you a 2:40 bike - still fast for most.

45:00 - Swim
5:00 - T1
2:35:00 - Bike
5:00 - T2
1:30:00 - Run
5:00:00 - TOTAL

Recommendation: Subscribe to TrainerRoad and do their 70.3 Build plan at max bike volume (5 rides/week). Then swim as much as you can. That will get you as good as you are going to be on the bike, which will mostly determine your 5 hour outcome.

Edit: Also, you did not name the race. Since you are on the bubble, the bike needs to be dead flat and the transition needs to be compact & quick. You cannot afford to waste time running through one of the monster transitions, like Memphis was. Chattanooga & Gulf Coast, for example, are inherently fast transitions.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Feb 21, 22 8:16
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 5 70.3 in 1.5 month [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
Vegan Tri wrote:
michael Hatch wrote:

Good luck

Well if you had looked at the results of the "really fast" HIM I posted, you would have seen my HM time at 2:15 with a 5:30 finishing time (including 9 minutes of Transition time, I was dawdling). He's a 1:12 runner and I'm 2 hr runner. You then threw in a whole bunch of what ifs and whatabouts having ignored my comment about a REALLY FAST HIM course (really really short Transition etc), including whether or not it's wetsuit, also covered in my post. As for the OPs "comical" 2 hr HM, obviously he blew up and did a bit of walking on a bad day and he was honest about it. Perhaps you've never had one, most real honest humans do. Post a few results and stand alone PBs along with training times height, weight and previous triumphs and some others will be happy to discuss what's comical.

So do me a favour, read all the words before you laugh at something or someone. Especially someone.

I don't know how old this OP is I'm assuming he's younger than the 71 that I was when I posted that time in 2019 .

I'm laughing you said it would be easy if you were younger. Ever heard of being a realist? Most people aren't these days. It's not easy or both you and the OP would have done iI. It is not easy. Sorry. It takes committed and balanced training. Even a sprint is not an easy race.

I'm going off the OP's numbers. He's a 1:12 stand alone HM runner and ran a 2:11 run in a HIM. It proves my point the goal is totally unrealistic in 6 weeks.

He needs to set realistic incremental goals and work toward it over time. That is a reasonable assessment. Maybe try for sub 5:30 which would be a 15m improvement. That's a lot of time over 70.3 miles.

Sorry bit I'm not going to pump sunshine up his butt. I'd rather be real and give sound, real advice.
Last edited by: Vegan Tri: Feb 21, 22 14:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vegan Tri wrote:
michael Hatch wrote:
Vegan Tri wrote:
michael Hatch wrote:
...edit....

I'm going off the OP's numbers. He's a 1:12 stand alone HM runner and ran a 2:11 run in a HIM. It proves my point the goal is totally unrealistic in 6 weeks.

He needs to set realistic incremental goals and work toward it over time. That is a reasonable assessment. Maybe try for sub 5:30 which would be a 15m improvement. That's a lot of time over 70.3 miles.

Sorry bit I'm not going to pump sunshine up his butt. I'd rather be real and give sound, real advice.
I'm on the fence here as per my earlier comment. You can't take someone from 2:11 to 1:30 in 6 weeks. However, for someone who CAN run 1:12HM then you can get them to the start of the run in a way that lets them run it in 1:25/1:30. Question is if you cna deliver them to the start of the run by 3:25elapsed or not.

So there's 40mins easily to get on the run, but you may need to 'give up' 5-10mins on the bike. Still netts a big time saving, but may not be the sub 5. Will certainly be a much more enjoyable race to be running past everyone instead of shuffling/walking.

FWI then I took an hour off my HIM time a few years ago 5:40-4:42. It wasn't done in 6 weeks, but did include a 1:40 run (became my half marathon PR!). Most of the savings came from the run, and whilst I wasn't dawdling on the bike, then previously I was riding closer to my max on the bike. I've now learned to 'pace the race' and not use the bike as my weapon. I am guessing that is an even more important learning (that you can get in 6 weeks) for a weaker cyclist and faster runner.

Hey, perhaps the training tactic here is to ride 90k and do a 10k run each weekend for next month, start with a 2:50 bike and a 4:30/km pace 10k, then a 2:40 and see if that pace still feels ok, then carry on up or down until you get a feel for the right bike pace. Also adds some longer sessions into your training for fueling and gets you used to running off a longish bike.
Last edited by: Duncan74: Feb 21, 22 15:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just for a little additional perspective, the triathlon world is populated with quite a few pure runner-background guys who can drop 2:40 marathons, and fast HIMs like the OP, but once the bike fatigues their legs on race day, they put up run numbers nowhere near as fast as you'd expect.

Bike legs are really, really important at all distances of tri. I came from a pure running background myself and used to favor run-heavy training as a result, but in the past two years have gone to what most programs recommend for balanced tri training, which favors bike volume. Despite running only 60-70% what I used to regularly, I've set all my triathlon run PRs after making this swtich. And I know one guy for sure whom I beat in the race (and had a nearly equal run split with), ran a 2:45 marathon without even having to try hard. I'd be lucky if if I were in marathon-trained shape to run a 3:15-3:20 in comparison.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 5 70.3 in 1.5 month [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still think sub-5 should be very doable for OP. 35-40 minute swim (not a lot of bang for your buck here for you -- 3-4x/week of 2k-3k should be fine). 2:40ish bike. Sub-1:30 run. Just gotta get comfortable running off of hard/long rides. Doing 1.5-2 hours @ ~200 watts & then running low to mid 6:00 pace doesn't have to be the staple. Build up to 3+ hour weekend rides at the same & just run an easy 30:00-1:00:00 afterwards. Train the way you would for a half marathon with all 3 disciplines (a lot of threshold/tempo work). Do a threshold workout in each discipline during the week & do a long ride/easy brick on the weekend. If that's on a Saturday, do a long run on Sunday (20k-25k easy) + an easy ride. Maybe every other weekend (or every 3rd) add in some quality to the main bike (spend 30:00-1:00:00 @ 70.3 pace -- straight or broken). On the weekday sessions, bike before all of your running workouts (even just an easy hour) & do an easy brick (even just an easy 20:00-25:00) after the bike workouts. Think about total training volume instead of one session.

I come from running so it was a big change to never do a running workout on fresh legs but my open half & 70.3 half are pretty close together. I held open marathon pace for my first 70.3 run. Not bad on a 70 degree day with some humidity. A lot of run courses are tough & you can get some bad weather days but an open 1:12 should comfortably get you under 1:30 no matter where you race but you gotta train right & execute right on the day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im not completely new to the sport, I did tris when i was in highschool about 4-5 years ago for fun and would always finish near top since a sprint/ olympic distance wouldnt take much out of my legs I managed to catch up in the run. Gave junior elite racing a shot and realized that even though I managed a run split faster than than some of the top guys I was not able to compete due to considerably slower swim and bike split. Appreciate all the feed back received. https://www.strava.com/athletes/67529748
Heres a link to my strava if any of you are interested is following my 1 month journey to see if I can go sub 5 in Acapulco 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread strains my comprehension:

Why would someone with very good stand alone run times, wants to train for exactly 9 seconds to do a very average 70.3.

Why not train a little more, and go faster?

Or not train at all?

If the goal is to suffer, swim, bike and run- badly????
Bad and painful- can be done on very little training!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next