Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sub $400 Trainer recommendation
Quote | Reply
I can't decide on what trainer to get for a second pain cave setup. I want smart functionality, so my wife can zwift. She is not competitive or serious rider, I do not need big wattage limits, power accuracy, or incline ability. Hence why I don't wanna spend a ton.

I found ability to get a kinetic road machine control for 400, was about to pull trigger but got cold feet. Reviews of this one are scant and opinion seems to be mixed. Tacx flow or vortex seem like options too, but flywheel specs don't seem great for those and I wonder if they just feel bad to ride. Other option is the kinetic inride sensor for regular road machine but that seems more finicky to deal with. Are smart trainers at this price just not good, and do I go quality dumb trainer with speed/cadence sensor?

Anyone got any thoughts on these models or recommendations for me at this price point?
Quote Reply
Re: Sub $400 Trainer recommendation [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently had to make the same decision as you. I went with the Tacx Flow. I have been using this for several months now and don't have any complaints. Unit works great and is relatively quiet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A tiny bit more than $400, but a quantum jump forward. What about a Cycleops Hammer for $500?

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._Kickr_Snap_P7141783
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a kinetic dumb trainer with the inride attachment. So buy one used, and then $40 for inride. Pretty cheap in my opinion.

So far its working great. I don't zwift but I use trainerroad. Only downside I have is focusing my target FTP. For example the workout shows I need 200 FTP at 90-95 RPMs. Well for me that's between two different gears. You shouldn't have that issue if your just zwifting.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub $400 Trainer recommendation [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not think a direct drive trainer suits my needs right now, sadly lol. My wife doesn't need the advanced functionality, so the cost just isn't justified for me. And if I wanted to be cheeky and use it myself, our bikes are different speeds so I'd be changing cassettes every time and would need to buy additional cassettes to put on the trainer, my wife doesn't have the bike tech knowledge or willpower to change cassettes if I'm not around...

I appreciate the suggestion though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you could to to $500 you could get the 4iiii Fliiiight. Sounds like it would be perfect for her as the main limitations of it seem to be higher power intervals. At under $400 though, I'd say just find a Cycleops Fluid 2 or Kurt Kinetic and speed/cadence or the inride. To be clear, I've never ridden on a direct drive (would love to but don't have one) but I just can't imagine it's worth spending more than $100 unless you're going all the way.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

For a few dollars more (great name for a movie) you can get the Tacx Vortex:

https://tacx.com/product/vortex-smart/

You can probably find new ones online for less.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub $400 Trainer recommendation [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of my favorite movies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a Cycleops M2 on sale for 400. It's worked fine and I like it. REI has them, not sure when their next 20% off sale is, but that would make it $400 from them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found a Kurt kinetic rock n roll on Craigslist for $140. Thinking about adding the smart control unit to it, but haven’t pulled the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m buying a direct drive soon and looking to sell my Cycleops Magnus (now a Saris M2).
It has worked flawlessly and matches my crank power meter very closely after calibration.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chinese wahoo kickr knockoff works exactly the same for me.

https://www.aliexpress.com/...0.0.0.2a722e0einkzHh
Quote Reply
Re: Sub $400 Trainer recommendation [vanchize] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I never thought of going the chinese route for a trainer.

What's the noise level comparable to?

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Sub $400 Trainer recommendation [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly is was pretty much the exact same as the Kickr was. I was shocked how similar it it is. Suckers like paying full price for everything though ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything you need to consider is here: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...inter-2019-2020.html

I would also be careful about buying a used smart trainer. On one hand they are something people buy use once and two years later decided to offload. On the other hand a ton of smart trainers, in fact pretty much all of them, had issues when they were first released. The issues varied by brand and model and due to the cost of shipping not all companies required trainers be returned as part of the warrantee/recall process. The net result is a surplus of dodgy like-new trainers which are difficult to identify until you use them.

Turbo trainers are items that get put on large discounts when new models become available so the prices are always floating. I would expect to be able to find trainers with $500-$600 sticker prices for $400 when the model years are released.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

For a few dollars more (great name for a movie) you can get the Tacx Vortex:

https://tacx.com/product/vortex-smart/

You can probably find new ones online for less.

This one?
£219.99
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...rainer/rp-prod125671
Quote Reply
Re: Sub $400 Trainer recommendation [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Yes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find a used KK road machine. Bulletproof. Can always sell it later and upgrade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little off topic...

It looks like zwift can control the Tacx Vortex with a smartphone (Galaxy 9); has anyone here done it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd go for a Wahoo Kickr Snap. I have mine since late fall in 2016 and it is working great. No issues. You can get used, but they are $500 new. You really don't want to go the dumb-trainer route and add any kind of external power measurement - as all that does is transmit power and doesn't control the trainer. To me - having the trainer simulate terrain is what makes indoor training (inclines, declines) semi-tolerable. If I didn't have it, I surely would NOT be convincing myself to ride 4 days a week indoors over the winter. Zwift and the smart trainer make things much more fun. Plus- while you say she's not competitive or serious - maybe she will be a convert once she experiences it!
Quote Reply
Re: Sub $400 Trainer recommendation [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I have Tacx vortex and use trainer road or the Taxc advanced software that I bought along with it. I use the real world courses and the virtual reality on a desktop computer. I guess these are similar to Zwift but not sure. It does increase resistance for inclines and reduces resistance for declines but there is a lag time of several seconds. More of a nuisance that anything else for me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
used computrainer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got the Tacx Vortex and don't think that I'm gonna need anything else in the near future. Use it with Trainerroad over my phone and works perfectly most of the time. Basically no experience with Zwift and the Vortex, not a big fan of Zwift
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked up a Tacx Vortex used last year for about $200.
It's nothing special or fancy, but just what I need.
It is essentially a mag trainer with resistance that can be controlled by Zwift.
The Tacx software is free for your phone and the spindown calibration takes 30 seconds.

The good- it's cheap, it works, and it's built like a tank. It's stable, folds up and out of the way and syncs with both my phone and my PC almost instantly. ANT+ and BT.
The bad- Incline only goes to 7 or 8%. No big deal. It can only handle about 1000w. But I'm not gonna kid myself and pretend that that matters. It is quiet-ish. Quieter than 76 trombones marching through your living room, but not as quiet as some of the more expensive options. The only thing that really bothers me is that is sometimes lags a lot. The resistance won't kick in until several seconds into a hill and it won't let go until several seconds after the end of a hill. Or if I'm not in ERG mode, it won't register the start of a sprint for several seconds. You get used to it and can plan for such things, but man, it's irritating sometimes.
I haven't ridden anything but this as it's my first smart trainer, so I don't know if the lag is my computer, my trainer or a combination of both.

Look on Facebook, Slowtwitch classifieds, etc.. and get a used one.

For $200 I got a pretty nice trainer that will probably last many years.

Here's one vote for cheap used.
Quote Reply

Prev Next