Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sub-3hr Marathon - The End Game
Quote | Reply
Hey,

I’m after some advice from everyone. I completed Ironman Wales last year and had a great time. I’m never going to be FOP and I’m not interested in being, I find completing more fun.

I’ve got a young family (2 1/2 year old and a baby on the way) so I’m hanging up my triathlon boots for now as I’m not prepared to sacrifice family life. Having said that I will still be keeping fit and am keen on having a target to aim for.

The target I’ve set myself is a sub-3hr marathon. I’m happy to play the long game and build up from shorter distances whilst time is more of a premium. Would you suggest starting with 5K specific racing then up the distances when I hit certain race time targets?

I’m open to ideas!
Last edited by: t1mmy: May 1, 18 5:03
Quote Reply
Re: Sub-3hr Marathon - The End Game [t1mmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may find that training for a *fast* marathon isn't that much more time-efficient than Ironman training. I know one genetic freak who runs 2-low fifties on approx. 80km/week, but everybody else I know in that area code does something between 120-160km/week. So at 4:30/km pace that's between 9 and 12 hours of running, which seems about the same as an Ironman build.

So by all means go for it - just don't think you can get there by spending much less time than you did before. Because even if it's you long-term goal, you need to get those base miles in.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of the first questions you'll likely get is: what's your current mileage, and any recent race times (running only)?
Quote Reply
Re: Sub-3hr Marathon - The End Game [bltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. If you’re handy, you could do it on 4 runs a week and fit it around family life. If not, see the first response..
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just actually finished a 6month build to attempt a BQ marathon. Previous PR was 3:29 3 years ago, I have been training and racing year round for 6 years and I am 32. In the last 18 months I dropped 30lbs and last summer posted some pretty fast run splits in Olympics and my A race which was a swim run of sorts.

I generally didn't run any stands alone running races other than when I had an open hole in my schedule and something was convenient. My long weeks were between 50-60mi I don't think I every went over 60? All training was on time based rather than distance, except for a couple specific long workouts to test race pacing. Ran 5 days per week and usually 2 days of strength training/functional movement, often doubled up running and strength to keep off days off.

Hit my BQ and went sub 3hrs last Sunday with a 2:58.53 and felt easier and better than i did in my 3:29 years ago.
Last edited by: sunray1985: May 1, 18 6:28
Quote Reply
Re: Sub-3hr Marathon - The End Game [sunray1985] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sub 3? 3.58?
I’m confused

If you can run 37min for 6 miles, you can run a sub 3 marathon as long as you do a fair bit of running
Quote Reply
Re: Sub-3hr Marathon - The End Game [ShortswimFan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ShortswimFan wrote:
Sub 3? 3.58?
I’m confused

If you can run 37min for 6 miles, you can run a sub 3 marathon as long as you do a fair bit of running

Sorry make that 2:58...edited above!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Several years ago I've slowly progressed from 3:30 to sub-3 marathons. I did relatively low mileage comparing with runners, that are targeting 2:50 and lower.
3-4 months before the race I did a variation of Pfitz 18/70 or 12/70. If you google it you'll find the whole plans online in nice neat tables.
It's a hard plan and takes all the recovery you could muster, but requires much less time than a full blown IM training (3+ sessions per sport per week).

You almost never have to do doubles. Some days are just recovery 5-6 mi runs.

But it does have long runs and a mid-long run in the middle of the week. 13-15 miles means you'll have to spend a couple of hours on Tuesdays/Wednesdays

Also note that it starts with 50 MPW, so you need a ramp-up period before that.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub-3hr Marathon - The End Game [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I found it that running is easier time wise than triathlons, but you have to be careful of the pounding. If you have already completed a ironman, you should be used to that. I had only gotten up to a 70.3 when I was running marathons regularly.

I always found that it is easier to fit a run in than it is to get a swim or bike, so that will save time. Also, early starts on long runs can really help get all you need done before the rest of the family gets up (of course new baby may make sleep a little harder).

Training suggestion would be to make sure you get used to marathon pace runs. I found trying to get a fast marathon was harder than a 70.3 because it was tougher to maintain that quick running pace. I would make sure you training includes Marathon pace runs, tempo runs and intervals. I would start off on shorter distances and work your way up. I had been running for years before finally doing a marathon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I broke the 3 hour barrier this past January on relatively low mileage but a strong base from 70.3 training. I averaged roughly 30 mpw with my max week at 40 miles, mixing in 2-3 hours of swimming and 2-3 hours of mostly easy cycling each week. To me the biggest challenge with high mileage as others have mentioned is staying injury free. IMO my coach did a great job of mixing in the cross training to keep the fitness and volume up but protect against injury.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://bridgerridgerun.wordpress.com/...h-training-approach/

Will give you tremendous valuable information to break sub 3 on 3 runs per week.
Quote Reply