Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stupid newbie 70.3 clothing question
Quote | Reply
Feel free to shame me- I'm new, I'm used to not knowing what I'm doing (you should see me in the pool!)

Had a gear question that I was getting all sorts of different answers to, so figured I'd ask here to get a more informed set of answers.

So, I'm really trying to stay on a budget- this whole tri thing seems to be getting expensive fast. I already have a solid carbon road bike (Trek Madone) that I'm going through a professional fit to make work for 70.3 Madison. I've got a wetsuit I bought on black friday that I know fits. I'm really trying to keep cost under control- do I really need a tri suit for under my wetsuit if I'm just aiming to finish and not be DFL?

My thought is that it likely will slow me down a bit to change into a cycling kit in transition, and again to my running gear in the second transition, but does it really matter given that I'm so new? Much like I'm not going to buy a tri specific bike until I've got some more experience, I was thinking this is another thing I could hold off on.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid newbie 70.3 clothing question [chetatkinsdiet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't matter. Most triathletes look quite silly when they race, all for the sake of shaving a few seconds off their time (getting 475th place instead of 479th).

Save your money for the post-race celebration. Wear something that's comfortable and makes you look good in your finish line pic. Have fun.

TRIATHLON ART FOR YOUR PAIN CAVE: https://www.matthewmillerart.com/...art?category=Ironman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You certainly don’t need a tri suit. Will your event have changing tents? Otherwise you may be changing in a port a potty.

Also, in the scheme of triathlon gear, a decent tri kit ranks pretty low on the list. I paid around $60 for mine. Wattie Ink shorts and a nike top. Got each on sale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a stupid question. We’ve all been there. But the answer has more to do with race logistics than saving money.

You need to wear something under your wetsuit because, well, when you take it off you need some coverage. If you want to wear a pair of swim jammers for example I totally get that. It makes total sense to want to then put on some proper cycling gear and head out.

The problem is, most 70.3 races do not have changing tents. In fact, I’ve done 25+ halfs and I don’t recall ever seeing changing tents. (Parenthetically there will be some at Indian Wells next week but that is the rare exception).

So what that means is there is no effective place to change into bike gear and then into your run gear.

At full ironman races there are changing tents (at least in the Americas, they were not any at Switzerland). But changing clothes is more common in those races. Not so in 70.3s and shorter distances.

So, I suggest getting a set of tri shorts and top (they should fit comfortably snug but not crazy tight) and wear them throughout the race. They will last a few seasons if you keep them out of chlorinated pools and wash them on gentle/cold.

And keep your questions coming - there is a lot of collective experience to draw from on here.

Cheers,
-Doug

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, to do the bottom-up thing... You need clothing you can cycle in and clothing you can run in. You can wear anything (or nothing) under your wetsuit, and it pretty much won't matter. The tri suit's magic is that you can both cycle and run in it. (And, if you did not have a wetsuit, you can swim in a tri suit too.)

You could wear a pair of regular cycling shorts under your wetsuit, and then put on a cycling jersey in T1. That would not cost you much time. Then, in T2, you would need to change into a pair of regular running shorts and optionally a running shirt.

Or, if you just got a pair of tri shorts, you could wear those from start to finish, and only change shirts in T1 and T2.

My first HIM, I wore a 2-piece tri suit the whole race. I wore the tri pants under my wetsuit without the shirt. Then, in T1, I put on the shirt and wore it until finish.

My recommendation: get a pair of tri shorts and wear them from start to finish. Then, you are only changing shirts in T1 and T2.
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid newbie 70.3 clothing question [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can tell you what I did as newbie this year. I just bought a cheap one piece tri suit on amazon. There are plenty in the $40 to $80 price range. I think I paid about $50. I wish I bought a two piece instead for a lot of reasons. I just can’t bear to wear it on training rides or runs so it just sits there waiting for another race. A two piece I can see rotating the top and bottoms into my pile of workout Clothes and at least using them occasionally. Also before my purchase I didn’t realize there are lots of websites with clearance sections for their triathlon gear from last year. So I wouldn’t rush but probably look to pick something up cheap over the next few months. I think I would do the two piece thing if I had to start over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As mentioned, there are no changing tents at anything less than IM distance. You’ll find that putting on any clothing when you’re wet is difficult. Like what was said, shop deals for a 2 piece triathlon suit. I like my one piece Kiwami suit for short course events...would probably go with 2 piece for longer events. My first tri suit bottoms were some fairly cheap Zoot shorts...still using them on the trainer 6 years later.
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid newbie 70.3 clothing question [Gonefishin5555] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gonefishin5555 wrote:
I just bought a cheap one piece tri suit on amazon. There are plenty in the $40 to $80 price range. I think I paid about $50.

This. I think I sold my ZOOT tri suit (one piece) slightly used for $30-45 on ebay. The "professional fit" on your road bike sounds like a waste of cash, in my opinion. I mean it will probably help you, but if I was on a budget I doubt I would cough that up. I'm a bike guy tho.

Full IM, there is changing tent, and I think I did full bike gear, then full run gear. For 1/2 IM as mentioned above, no changing tent. There's no shame in running into the restroom to throw on a pair of running shorts (after ur done w/the bike), then you can just wear some cycling shorts underneath your wetsuit.

GL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes you will want a triathlon suit or like someone above said, wear your swim jammers. Might not be as good on the bike if you haven't been training without padding though. I didn't see anyone mention this so I wanted to say just in case that you do not want to ride or run in your wetsuit. Its not the same material as a trisuit if thats what your thinking. It will be hot as hell, not breathe, and allow flexibility to bike and run.

I picked up a local Insideout Sports triathlon club kit on sale for my first triathlon. It was their previous years kit and they had it marked down super cheap to get their new designs in. Sure I had a lot of questions regarding if I was part of the club when I went to local races, but I just told them I was broke and this was cheap :)

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid newbie 70.3 clothing question [DougEFresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DougEFresh wrote:
I suggest getting a set of tri shorts and top (they should fit comfortably snug but not crazy tight) and wear them throughout the race. They will last a few seasons if you keep them out of chlorinated pools and wash them on gentle/cold.

-Doug
That would be my suggestion also. This will get you comfortably through the entire race without having to deal with multiple wardrobe changes and it makes things easier when you need to make a nature stop at a porta potty. Shorts and a top don't need to cost a ton of money, and this will give you something to wear at shorter races and non-wetsuit races too.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid newbie 70.3 clothing question [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this- I think that's the plan now. Get tri shorts and just change my jersey into a running top depending on the heat. I think that's probably a better investment for me for now.

Much appreciated on the advice
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid newbie 70.3 clothing question [Gonefishin5555] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
great advice- i think ill do this come january or so
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid newbie 70.3 clothing question [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh yah, sorry if i didn't make that clear- im certainly not going to ride or run in my wetsuit :)

sounds like tri shorts and a jersey/run top are my way to go for this first one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my first one was with tri shorts and a bike top it was fine running in a bike top and then i had pockets to put stuff in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure why you would change your top after the bike. Seems like extra time for no reason.
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid newbie 70.3 clothing question [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually run really really hot (I've run a LOT of races), likely will just switch to a singlet. Depends on the day of course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha triathlon is about the most expensive sport around, and if you stick with it, it only gets worse when you start to upgrade with all the bells and whistles for your bike. That said, yes, you should probably go with a trisuit. 70.3 distance goes by surprisingly quickly (I know that sounds hard to believe if you haven't done one yet), and stripping off a wetsuit and not worrying about clothes the rest of the time is invaluable. The pad is designed for both bike and run. Plus, for this distance, there's not going to be any way for you to go anywhere and actually be changing. Ask if you need any other tips!

Nourish - Sports Nutrition Made Easy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just one clarification... an earlier post said (paraphrasing) you wear what you want, or even nothing under your wetsuit.
Don't go with nothing ! You'll get DQd when you take your wetsuit off and flash your, ahem, meat+2Veg to tje world ! Nudity = DQ.

I'm another to vote with the cheap tri shorts under the wet suit and keep them on for the entire race.

Also to help avoid chaffing / sore areas use some chamois cream 'down there' before the swim, so when you're initially riding with wet shorts you dont get too much abrasion. If you dont want / dont use cycling chamois cream then Sudocrem (as used for babies for nappy rash) or even Vaseline - just keep Vaseline off the wetsuit itself as it can damage the neoprene.
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid newbie 70.3 clothing question [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was wondering this very thing yesterday at IMWA 70.3.

I was wearing a Roka trisuit and realized after that i dont get why i dont just wear bib shorts and a tight bike racing jersey

Chamois is better and i hate the small pockets on the trisuit

I do bricks in running shorts all the time. So why not just do that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For many years triathletes wore a speedo...couldn't get cheaper and more simple than that! You can swim/bike/run in it depending on the weather, and if you just stop riding in a chammy your gooch will get used to it in a few weeks. Problem solved cheapo dude.
Quote Reply