Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Study on running injuries volume vs intensity
Quote | Reply
Hi All,
Can't judge the quality of the study but found the results interesting that a focus on running intensity does not lead to more injuries compared to focusing on volume. It's against the slowtwitch wisdom.

What do you think?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...om=/29895234/related
Quote Reply
Re: Study on running injuries volume vs intensity [uw234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't read the study nor do I care to. I prefer my N=1 experiment. I know from past experience that too much intensity leads to injury for me. Volume does not.

Other than some end of run strides a few times a week and one high intensity run, everything I do is low intensity, high volume. It works for me but I know plenty of others than can't do the volume but have no issues with lots of intensity.
Quote Reply
Re: Study on running injuries volume vs intensity [uw234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The key thing here is that both groups were actively COACHED. Meaning that the coach will likely have pulled the athletes back before they got injured.

Take away the coach, tell athletes to 'go hard', and injury rates will skyrocket.

You can get away with a lot of risky-sounding things if you have a good 3rd party to catch you before you go wrong. But the idea of the study isn't invalid, in that sure, if you do the intensity RIGHT, it doesn't mean you will be injured.

The problem of course, is doing hard intervals on your own as an AG triathlete with no coach to stop you before you break yourself. Much higher risk of injury (obviously).
Quote Reply