Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Stuck at Home Projects?
Quote | Reply
In the absence of any races to train for and with everything basically closed, is anyone using the extra time to do interesting projects?

Iā€™m rebuilding my 1999 Guru Crono tri bike and converting it into a road bike. It still has the slickest paint job ever.

Also, the ā€˜76 Mini in the garage needs her new panels welded in. Itā€™s amazing such a rust prone car came from such a rainy place.

Iā€™ll try and post a couple of pics but in the 18 or so years Iā€™ve been here havenā€™t figured how to yet...
Quote Reply
Re: Stuck at Home Projects? [Dolfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I built a big router sled to flatten out wood slabs from my bush lot. I had alot of them because previous owner dropped a bunch of trees and left them behind when I bought the place. I am turning out cutting boards. Also carving wooden spoons which apparently is now a thing. Also training a new puppy for past 6 weeks. We call her our covid dog. Made the whole sourdough thing work although that is a bit cliche I think.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

This guy was built and filled in the past 4 weeks.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I busted my butt to finish my basement remodel a couple months before the lockdowns started. Guess I shouldn't have....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I added to the outdoor play area for my kids. We had a trampoline, play set, and tire swing already. My wife and I added a zip line, ninjaline, and I built a few platforms in/around the trees connecting them.

Then I build a rocker plate for my trainer.

Random side note since you're rebuilding your 1999 Guru Crono ā€“ my first (of two ever) tri bikes was a 2007 Guru Crono. Thought about selling it when I got my current bike but ultimately I couldn't bring myself to do it. Instead it's now parked permanently on my H2. I also still love the paint job on that bike. Would love to see pics of your conversion to a road bike project!

Edit: added some pics
Last edited by: Northy: May 15, 20 11:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be honest I'm busier than ever, with both of us working from home full time and homeschooling* a 5 and 8 year old.

*not really.

But I have managed this cliche..

Last edited by: knighty76: May 15, 20 6:46
Quote Reply
Re: Stuck at Home Projects? [erik+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
erik+ wrote:
I busted my butt to finish my basement remodel a couple months before the lockdowns started. Guess I shouldn't have....

Same here, worked myself silly trying to finish it before I left for Vegas in early March, hoping to have everyone over the weekend after I got back for first weekend fun. Even took a few days off of work to make sure I got it done in time. That was stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: Stuck at Home Projects? [djhuff7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
djhuff7 wrote:
erik+ wrote:

Same here, worked myself silly trying to finish it before I left for Vegas in early March, hoping to have everyone over the weekend after I got back for first weekend fun. Even took a few days off of work to make sure I got it done in time. That was stupid.

I took like weeks off to get mine done, but did everything myself. What sort of things did you put in?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I finally got around to converting all my chains to paraffin wax, instead of oil. Heard good things for years, always kept putting it off because it's such a messy job.

As of 2 days ago, all my bikes are done...and it's been pouring rain, so haven't really been able to do much in the way of testing, except on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome looking projects! I just renovated my house a few years ago so nothing big to do like the renovations going on posted in here. I did change out my BB and chain the other day. It's a bit early to overhaul my wheels, but I have time and it is relatively simple, so I might as well do that.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Re: Stuck at Home Projects? [Slug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Made a Rocker plate for our Turbo.

Then built some 2x4 Seating for the garden

Then some friends saw my rocker plate and I had some more work to do

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm running. And running.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

ā€œYou are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.ā€
Quote Reply
Re: Stuck at Home Projects? [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be happy to post pics but how? Is there a step by step guide to follow? Iā€™ve selected them previously, can only select 1 at a time, but they never show up.
Quote Reply
Re: Stuck at Home Projects? [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally done with the bike build. Hopefully the pictures uploaded. Had to go to the LBS to have the cranks drilled out. I guess since being on there since 1999 they got a little stuck on.
Last edited by: Dolfan: Jul 13, 20 14:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We built a climbing wall as the gyms were going to be closed for a long time (still closed). The climbing angle is adjustable from 15 to 45 degrees, in increments of 10.

I had a picture in here, but it is not showing.

I added a file at the end with the pic.
Last edited by: broddub: Jul 13, 20 18:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dolfan wrote:
Finally done with the bike build. Hopefully the pictures uploaded. Had to go to the LBS to have the cranks drilled out. I guess since being on there since 1999 they got a little stuck on.

Looks awesome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am currently tearing two layers of wood shingles off my house, installing plywood over the skip sheathing, and putting on a new roof.
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Jul 14, 20 16:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After living in my current place 10 1/2 years I finally built some mountain bike/trail running trailsā€¦ Something I had wanted to do but never got around to. Very non-technical and rideable on a gravel bike, but very relaxing to go out and ride or run without worrying about traffic, etc. I suspect there are some pissed off dear because some of the trails utilize their paths, and a couple of times I have startled a turkey- they look pretty big when they fly up about 3 feet front of you.

Iā€™m also keeping a sourdough starter that is right now 3+ months oldā€¦ Iā€™ve only made pizza crust because every time I try to make something else I decide to turn it into Pizza.
Quote Reply
Re: Stuck at Home Projects? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We remodeled a bathroom, and doing so gave me the pass to convert our 8x20 sunroom into a 8x40 paincave, which is currently in process. pics to follow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Running.
2. Repainting the racecar.
3. Running.
4. Building a SimRacing rig.
5. Running.

Did I mention running?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. skim coating the whole house to get rid of our hideous orange peel walls. Plus painting a new color.
2. Turning linen area into desk/other storage, with stone slab counters on order to convert current office to baby room.
3. Prepping for guest bath remodel including downsizing the closet to make room to upsize the current tub/shower combo into a walk in shower.

no pics yet however...
Quote Reply
Re: Stuck at Home Projects? [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattyboy wrote:
1. skim coating the whole house to get rid of our hideous orange peel walls. Plus painting a new color.
2. Turning linen area into desk/other storage, with stone slab counters on order to convert current office to baby room.
3. Prepping for guest bath remodel including downsizing the closet to make room to upsize the current tub/shower combo into a walk in shower.

no pics yet however...

Dang! Hope you have experience with the skim coating! That will be painstakingly hard to do. It would never be perfect for me...I would always want to touch something up!
Quote Reply
Re: Stuck at Home Projects? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
To be honest I'm busier than ever, with both of us working from home full time and homeschooling* a 5 and 8 year old.

*not really.

But I have managed this cliche..

Nice.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm building a 1/48 scale architectural model of my house re-imagination concept. Pics in a couple of weeks when I do the classic HGTV big reveal.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Stuck at Home Projects? [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's actually my first time doing it, but I'm a pretty handy dude. I did a powder room as a test case and it came out amazing. I did make a mistake by using 90 minute set compound on the first coat, which ended up being too thin. But it all came together by the third coat and it's now primed and ready for the wife to pick a paint color from the 9 - yes, 9 - samples painted on one of the walls. I might tweak the process a bit on subsequent rooms but so far I'm thrilled with it. Really updates the look of the house.
Quote Reply

Prev Next